Hawker Hurricane IIb, Mingaladon, Burma, Early 1942

Howdy all,

Finally getting round to replacing my collection of 1/48 Hobbycraft Hurricanes, thanks to Hobby 2000 reissuing the Hasegawa kits, so thought it only fair to bother you with some pic`s of my first effort.

TEc0Ttc.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of 17 Squadron, RAF, based in Burma, early `42

PGwYJ5C.jpg

Built pretty much from the box contents, but with a tweak

Q6Fcw2D.jpg

Firstly built up the bit of the spine of the fuselage that sits under the canopy so that I could pose the canopy open......

A3AzYi4.jpg

...... and cut off the kit item from the windscreen and replaced with vac-form item, also drilled out the exhausts

NY36A5V.jpg

Additions were just usual dodgy seat belts, aerial wires and stiffening brace for the radiator scoop

K4r43Gy.jpg

Decals were a mix of the kits and the spares box, replaced the normal Red/Blue upper wing roundels with Red, White and Blue, which was a Squadron modification, Presumably to prevent confusion with the Japanese marking.

S4gDj7f.jpg

Tried to replicate the remains of the white ferry flight markings on the rear fuselage and upper tailplane that was evident in the only pic` I`ve seen

I882oDW.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

PS: I know they probably didn`t has PSP at the airfield in Burma, but it`s what I`d got to hand 🙂   

• Like 64
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BleedingBlue said:

Great weathering and I love the tarmac.  Is that model carrying 12 guns? 

Thanks BB, not sure to be honest, I read from more than one source that the outer two guns were often removed to save weight and improve performance. If they were, I figured they`d be sealed over to prevent foreign objects getting in, in any case.

Cheers Russ 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Finally getting round to replacing my collection of 1/48 Hobbycraft Hurricanes, thanks to Hobby 2000 reissuing the Hasegawa kits,

I'd be waiting for the forthcoming Arma IIC,  and likely IIB kits....  

Also note, the Hobby Craft kits have a very neatly done ES/9 Spinner,  the Hasegawa is closer too the CM/1 unit, 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235078582-hurricane-rotol-spinners-the-cm1-vs-es9-quest/

the Hobbycraft also have the Canadian pattern radiator intake. 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235086563-hurricane-radiators-is-there-a-tropical-or-later-type-on-the-mkii-and-iv-and-is-there-a-different-canadian-inlet-shape/

These were retained on Canadian built planes sent from Canada as well as in Canada, and is way to spot a Canadian built airframe.

Neither kit gets the carb intake right,  I think the only kit that gets the Mk.II carb intake correct is the 72nd Arma Mk.II....  so far..

3 hours ago, russ c said:

Tried to replicate the remains of the white ferry flight markings on the rear fuselage and upper tailplane that was evident in the only pic` I`ve seen

for those interested, 

Hawker-Hurricane-I-RAF-17Sqn-YBL-Z5826-0

Note, being a reasonably early Mk.II it still has the straight tailwheel.

Anyway, very neat work, :goodjob:

cheers

T

• Like 3

I'm one of those who repeat the stories out removing the outer guns, however this is very unlikely to have been done as early as this in the theatre.  However, not always and surely not so early.  These Hurricanes were ruched out without time for such changes, and it must be doubtful whether the messages about the Oscar;s superb manoeuvrability had got through.  (They still thought that they were Zeros).  Remember at this stage of the war the RAF were used to thinking of the Hurricane as being more manoeuvrable than the opposition.  The CR42 being no longer relevant.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, russ c said:

Howdy all,

Finally getting round to replacing my collection of 1/48 Hobbycraft Hurricanes, thanks to Hobby 2000 reissuing the Hasegawa kits, so thought it only fair to bother you with some pic`s of my first effort.

TEc0Ttc.jpg

Finished to represent an aircraft of 17 Squadron, RAF, based in Burma, early `42

PGwYJ5C.jpg

Built pretty much from the box contents, but with a tweak

Q6Fcw2D.jpg

Firstly built up the bit of the spine of the fuselage that sits under the canopy so that I could pose the canopy open......

A3AzYi4.jpg

...... and cut off the kit item from the windscreen and replaced with vac-form item, also drilled out the exhausts

NY36A5V.jpg

Additions were just usual dodgy seat belts, aerial wires and stiffening brace for the radiator scoop

K4r43Gy.jpg

Decals were a mix of the kits and the spares box, replaced the normal Red/Blue upper wing roundels with Red, White and Blue, which was a Squadron modification, Presumably to prevent confusion with the Japanese marking.

S4gDj7f.jpg

I882oDW.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pic`s, thanks for looking

Cheers Russ

PS: I know they probably didn`t has PSP at the airfield in Burma, but it`s what I`d got to hand 🙂   

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Pete in a shed said:

A beauty :clap:. Did you make the canopy vac part or is it aftermarket? It certainly looks good whichever.

Pete

Thanks Pete, it was an aftermarket one, can`t remember what make except it said `for Airfix and Hobbycraft kits` on the packet. Fitted OK though.

Cheers Russ  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

What a lovely build of this Hurricane.  The weathering is nicely done to a degree, at the first glance of the b/w photo, it was the reference photo you used to complete the model.  Excellent work.  Thanks for sharing.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...