Woomera Meteor U. Mk.21A – 1/48 Airfix F.8 + Red Roo Conversion *** FINISHED ***

Ray_W

Finished the decals and they came up well. What a delight to do a decal job with zero issues. I used Micro Set and Micro Sol and got a very nice result with both the Airfix and Red Roo decals. I was jumping between them selecting what I preferred where. I did not bother with a gloss coat. Simply decalled straight onto the colour coats.

BM Meteor WIP88

The Red Roo decals are slightly more glossy than the satin Airfix decals. I had a slight preference for the Red Roo stencils as the carrier film really blended in nicely. They were not quite as stiff as the Airfix. Although they are slightly more visible on the satin red finish. I am planning to do a top clear coat with some variation keeping the slightly more glossy white and a dulled down red. On the real aircraft the red areas had weathered to a more matt finish. The stencils on the red areas should blend in very nicely with this top coat.

BM Meteor WIP91

I also can't complain about the Airfix decals. Very nice and really no significant carrier film to talk about. It was also the right move spraying the white base prior to decals. The red would of shown though. Well I suppose sometimes you have to get something right. Don't you?

BM Meteor WIP92

I did leave some stencilling off where I thought it brought nothing to the model, either hardly visible in the red or likely troublesome small decals blending in over rivet detail. Not many and it is sufficiently busy as is.

BM Meteor WIP93

Also saved some stencils in the repainted areas where they were most likely painted over other than the couple of white masked areas.

BM Meteor WIP89

It's a nice subject. A little different and I am really enjoying the build.

BM Meteor WIP90

Ray

• Like 14

18 minutes ago, 81-er said:

the decals have really brought it to life

Thanks James. Very happy with the build so far. Still a fair bit to do. Looking forward to getting a clear coat tomorrow and then to think about some weathering. This underside image of another drone gives some inspiration.

BM Meteor WIP94

It reminds me. I must paint those ID lights.

Ray

• Like 4

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

never a given 

🇺🇦

3 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Think you’ve got plenty right so far!

Decals! Why scale plastic modelling is an adrenalin sport.

Thankfully the decals went on a charm as come middle of next week I'll be taking a break from the hobby for two months. Changing from plastic construction to bricks and mortar. So, I need some smooth sailing to get this one in the gallery. Also on the bench is my build for the Armoured Car GB. Thankfully I have to mid-Feb to wrap that one up. 

The upside is I'm heading back home to Australia. I'll be able to raid the stash and bring some gear back with me for 2023 activity. I'll be still checking in regularly on BM. 

Ray

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, Celestialsphere said:

your model is inspiration to push on with my build.

Thanks Andrew. Looking forward to that clear coat tonight. I like giving those decals some protection.

3 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Hope the rain stays away for your 1:1 project!

Hope so. When I was back home beginning of the year I redid most of the stormwater. I thought good timing. Well it turned out to only be in the middle of the big wet. This time we'll see. If it keeps going I might just go straight to timber. Now, what are those dimensions? 300 cubits long by 50 cubits wide by 30 cubits high? 🤔 

Ray

• Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Wings unlevel said:

Will you post an RFI when done?

Just ordered 100 litres of Microsol and Microset. 

• Haha 2

Here's a few images before I start the targeted pin wash and weathering. Thought it would be nice to preserve some before shots while still in a pristine condition.

BM Meteor WIP95

I was very happy with the clear coats and how the decals performed underneath. I used Gunze GX-100 gloss clear thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner for the white portions. A couple of light coats to raise the gloss slightly. Then I used GX-114 flat clear for the remaining red sections. The GX-114, also thinned Mr Color Leveling Thinner, tends to reactivate the gloss of the under colour coat so you can build the level of sheen you want. T-28 Buckeye anyone? 

BM Meteor WIP96

Photos of the aircraft show the intake rims and the nose cap in a more glossy finish so I also masked and sprayed these with the GX100.

BM Meteor WIP97

Oh, and we now have wheels. 

So on to that myriad of small things still to do. Next images should see it complete.

Ray

• Like 14

20 hours ago, Ray_W said:

Here's a few images before I start the targeted pin wash and weathering.

While the above images give me faith in you, I'd urge you not to do too much, because it is absolutely lovely as is.  I also noticed the shinier fronts before I read the comment about it, and thought it was a very nice touch.  That's an element that we often overlook.

20 hours ago, Ray_W said:

T-28 Buckeye anyone?

T-2B, that is, and oh my, yes please!

bob

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

T-2B

Hi Bob,

Oops, my bad, I was thinking Buckeye and went a bit Trojan throwing in the extra 8. Thanks for the correction. That Meteor nose shot reminded me of the red/orange and white US trainer schemes. I must find time to do one.

56 minutes ago, gingerbob said:

I'd urge you not to do too much,

Not too much. At least with oils you do have a bit of control. 

Ray

Well I am calling this one complete. I have pre-drilled all the holes for the whip aerials but I'll save these for the Gallery images. Those images I'll take during daylight hours. The red at night does seems a little strange - a tad crimson.  

BM Meteor Finish4

BM Meteor Finish1

BM Meteor Finish5

BM Meteor Finish3

The strange effect on the red flap are wash strokes - matt and shiny - I'll fix that tomorrow. Another discovery when you post the images. 

BM Meteor Finish6

BM Meteor Finish2

Thanks to the hosts with their usual enthusiasm, encouragement and prompt replies. Thanks also to the broader community for following along. A special shout out to Red Roo @Ed Russell - great conversion, recommended. Special thanks to Peter Malone @Magpie22 for his assistance with this particular aircraft.

Hooray! Been a difficult year to finish one and post in the gallery. Looks like this one will make it.

Ray

• Like 16

• Ray_W changed the title to Woomera Meteor U. Mk.21A – 1/48 Airfix F.8 + Red Roo Conversion *** FINISHED ***