Airfix 1/72 Aichi D3A Val

This was supposed to have been a quick build but, as ever, took a lot longer than anticipated. It's definitely a "nostalgia" build and I would not recommend the kit to anybody who wanted a properly accurate Val. But I enjoyed bashing it together and wrestling it into submission. It actually went together quite well but the major problem area is the canopy which has very poorly defined frame work and didn't fit terribly well - making it difficult to paint.

The kit originally dates from 1965 so very "ancient" compared to today's offerings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 23

Nice result from this old kit. Tail code AI-201 (in red!) would additionally carry the following stripes: one red band around the rear fuselage (for IJN Akagi), a broad stripe above the tail code and two narrow stripes below the tail code (for leader of the second chutai) - all red.

4 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

This was supposed to have been a quick build but, as ever, took a lot longer than anticipated. It's definitely a "nostalgia" build and I would not recommend the kit to anybody who wanted a properly accurate Val. But I enjoyed bashing it together and wrestling it into submission. It actually went together quite well but the major problem area is the canopy which has very poorly defined frame work and didn't fit terribly well - making it difficult to paint.

The kit originally dates from 1965 so very "ancient" compared to today's offerings.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well done with an old kit.

Alain

2 hours ago, Toryu said:

Nice result from this old kit. Tail code AI-201 (in red!) would additionally carry the following stripes: one red band around the rear fuselage (for IJN Akagi), a broad stripe above the tail code and two narrow stripes below the tail code (for leader of the second chutai) - all red.

The Airfix painting instructions are a bit inconsistent as well.

It looks like a Val, and that is all that matters!

And I like it very much.

JR