Arma Hobby new variant of an existing kit announced, pre-orders starting on week 41

TheKinksFan

9 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

To be honest, considering all the possibilities what could be a new variant this announcement is the most uninteresting.  I would appreciate Hurri IID or IV, even another YAK-1 variant, or new P-51 H, cavalier etc....  Is really Sea Hurri Ib interesting for anyone there?

Yes it is interesting.  You do understand that this is their existing Mk I Hurricane that has been complemented with 3D printed parts. "This new kit is a kind of attempt to create something really new, so far unavailable on the market in such quality, using the model kit already on offer by Arma Hobby. After the first trials with 3D printing, we see a lot of cool possibilities here. If Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib is well received by modellers, we will introduce more model kits based on this idea."

Why bring up P-51H or a Cavalier, do you think these high quality kits materialize out of thin air? They haven't even yet released their P-51D, besides would it even be possible to modify a P-51D into a P-51H using 3D parts? I'm too ignorant about technical matters, but I dont think so.

It's guaranteed that when a company releases something, there's always these complaints about 'why this kit', 'why not the kit I want' 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

To be honest, considering all the possibilities what could be a new variant this announcement is the most uninteresting.  I would appreciate Hurri IID or IV, even another YAK-1 variant, or new P-51 H, cavalier etc....  Is really Sea Hurri Ib interesting for anyone there?

9 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

Yes it is interesting.  You do understand that this is their existing Mk I Hurricane that has been complemented with 3D printed parts. "This new kit is a kind of attempt to create something really new, so far unavailable on the market in such quality, using the model kit already on offer by Arma Hobby. After the first trials with 3D printing, we see a lot of cool possibilities here. If Sea Hurricane Mk.Ib is well received by modellers, we will introduce more model kits based on this idea."

Why bring up P-51H or a Cavalier, do you think these high quality kits materialize out of thin air? They haven't even yet released their P-51D, besides would it even be possible to modify a P-51D into a P-51H using 3D parts? I'm too ignorant about technical matters, but I dont think so.

It's guaranteed that when a company releases something, there's always these complaints about 'why this kit', 'why not the kit I want' 

Yes exactly, it seems like an ideal test bed for this approach. Just like the actual aircraft, it is essentially the same kit with some specific, localised modifications grafted on. I suppose one could add cannon packs for the IID or something, but I think from the modelling and sales perspective, it's not so informative as discovering the appetite amongst modellers for using 3d parts in a manner that involves surgery and blending in with styrene. 

But also you're asking on Britmodeller, of course there are loads of us who'll go nuts for a Sea Hurricane!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

Forget about the -H, completely different aircraft that 'looks' kinda like a P-51.
However, a Cavalier Mustang is certainly an interesting option - and floating the idea even if the intended P-51D isn't there yet is not a bad thing :) 

After all, for the 1/48 and 32 ones Halberd already has conversions.

So if Arma Hobbies intend on trying out these kind of adaptations as a kit, I'd say go for it.

As far as a Hurricane Mk.IV is concerned - that will also need different wings. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks to all for explanation.  First of all, I missed the point with 3D parts conversion. I thought there will be also a new sprue + 3D parts to existing kit. My mistake 😅  So with this point of view SEA Hurri Ib makes sence. 

It will be interesting how many modellers will acept some little surgeon work for adaption 3D conversion. As I understand, in this case it will be needed to cutout lover rear fuselage section.

57 minutes ago, Mr T said:

Yes, I think quite a few modellers, especially in the UK, will be interested in a Sea Hurricane. It was quite a significant aircraft for the FAA in the early part of WWII when they were desperate for a single seat fighter of anything approaching a reasonable performance. The Hurricane in any form has always played second fiddle to the Spitfire, but was an important part of the British war effort and held the line in many places until newer aircraft became available. It has not always been well served in model form. 

Well, I will look for some more detail information and  hope I will need no more than one SEA Ib in my stash 🙂

• Like 1

I’ve never used 3D printed parts. Don’t even know if the material is always largely the same. How are they to work with? Are they more rigid/fragile than plastic?  Can they be filed/sanded similarly to styrene? What do you glue them with?

8 minutes ago, Fin said:

I’ve never used 3D printed parts. Don’t even know if the material is always largely the same. How are they to work with? Are they more rigid/fragile than plastic?  Can they be filed/sanded similarly to styrene? What do you glue them with?

I find them generally similar to resin parts.

• Thanks 1

Fab news. A stash queue jumper if ever I've seen one. Well done Arma. The only question is who's aircraft I'm going to build, Dickie Cork's or Bill Bruen's? Oh well, I'll just have to get a couple ( at least).

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

where @stevehnz recommended a 3:2 mix of Vallejo 70924 Russian Uniform and 70869 Basalt Grey.

That would have been when I did an original Airfix Wildcat. An interesting exercise in colour mixing & trying to get a decent result out of a fairly awful kit. The photograph doesn't give a good impression of the colours I got but they were pretty much as stated. The last time I finished a whole kit in arylics. <_< 

Airfix Wildcat VI

I'll likely get one of these new Sea Hurricanes & at risk of sounding ungrateful, I'd be very happy to have a Sea Hurricane IIc (?) so I can do a HMS Vindex one. 

Steve.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Fin said:

I suspect that there are 3D printed parts and 3D printed parts. Hopefully these are the latter! But yes generally treat like resin (for that is what they are!), with the added wrinkle of having to deal with 3d print lines. This can be non trivial, particularly in cases like this with subtle fabric textures. I guess we'll have to see the result. 

Personally I'm excited for this, both in terms of the kit subject but also in terms of this (surely?) being the future of model kits and particularly aftermarket. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

That would have been when I did an original Airfix Wildcat. An interesting exercise in colour mixing & trying to get a decent result out of a fairly awful kit. The photograph doesn't give a good impression of the colours I got but they were pretty much as stated. The last time I finished a whole kit in arylics. <_< 

Airfix Wildcat VI

I'll likely get one of these new Sea Hurricanes & at risk of sounding ungrateful, I'd be very happy to have a Sea Hurricane IIc (?) so I can do a HMS Vindex one. 

Steve.

That's an  amazing result from that ancient kit, Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Ngantek said:

I suspect that there are 3D printed parts and 3D printed parts. Hopefully these are the latter! But yes generally treat like resin (for that is what they are!), with the added wrinkle of having to deal with 3d print lines. This can be non trivial, particularly in cases like this with subtle fabric textures. I guess we'll have to see the result. 

Personally I'm excited for this, both in terms of the kit subject but also in terms of this (surely?) being the future of model kits and particularly aftermarket. 

You shouldn't have to deal with print lines from a decent resin 3D printer which is hopefully what they are using.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tbolt said:

You shouldn't have to deal with print lines from a decent resin 3D printer which is hopefully what they are using.

I just received my two P-39Qs from Poland, and the 3D printed parts are so tiny that it's almost a shock. Shouldn't be though, as P-39 itself is quite tiny in 1/72. With an optivisor I can see some lines on the seat, but I doubt that anyone can see them without magnification. I don't have an Eduard 1/72 3D seat, but their 1/48 A6M2 seat seems to have a bit fainter lines.

They have been printed by a 3D printing company that operates in the same building as Arma Hobby.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, TheKinksFan said:

They have been printed by a 3D printing company that operates in the same building as Arma Hobby.

This is misunderstanding. That other company really exists and was inspiration for us (as I told in the Sprue Cutters Union Podcast), but now we have our own printers. It's cool!

Good to hear that you've got them and you like them. Our 3D printed parts are printed of photosensitive resin, it is quite similar to the "normal" resin used for cast resin parts. It is harder and a more brittle than plastic, and should be glued with CA or epoxy glue.

Cheers!

G.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

32 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

This is misunderstanding. That other company really exists and was inspiration for us (as I told in the Sprue Cutters Union Podcast), but now we have our own printers. It's cool!

Good to hear that you've got them and you like them. Our 3D printed parts are printed of photosensitive resin, it is quite similar to the "normal" resin used for cast resin parts. It is harder and a more brittle than plastic, and should be glued with CA or epoxy glue.

Thanks for the clarification, we all hope that this experiment with the Sea Hurricane will be followed by others in similar fashion. And that you some day could sell these 3D extra parts also separately, althoug it's not feasible at the moment. Good to know that it's brittle, have to be careful.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Forget about the -H, completely different aircraft that 'looks' kinda like a P-51.
However, a Cavalier Mustang is certainly an interesting option - and floating the idea even if the intended P-51D isn't there yet is not a bad thing

Well on one hand I do agree with you, on the other Cavalier used the “H’s” vertical surfaces to improve the “D”. Pretty much what North American was trying to do by stripping and modifying the airframe ? They wanted a lighter more maneuverable aircraft. Now that being said besides the tail the wings & landing gear are different. Personally I have the RS kit but would still dole out $ for an Arma “H”. But back to the matter at hand this is now about Hurricanes or should I say sea Hurricanes. I like the Sea Hurricane and will purchase one or two eventually but would have preferred the IId with the underwing cannon’s myself. 

4 hours ago, Tbolt said:

Never tried 3D printed resin. All these stubs, is it easy to neatly cut and clean?

I haven't tried cutting any yet, but I would use a single blade nipper to get close, the attachment points are very thin so there shouldn't be much clean up left. I used eduard's 1/72 rudder pedals, otherwise it went well, but at some point one of the straps had broken, not during the separation though.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Well on one hand I do agree with you, on the other Cavalier used the “H’s” vertical surfaces to improve the “D”. Pretty much what North American was trying to do by stripping and modifying the airframe ? They wanted a lighter more maneuverable aircraft. Now that being said besides the tail the wings & landing gear are different. Personally I have the RS kit but would still dole out $ for an Arma “H”. But back to the matter at hand this is now about Hurricanes or should I say sea Hurricanes. I like the Sea Hurricane and will purchase one or two eventually but would have preferred the IId with the underwing cannon’s myself. 

Good morning my friend

I guess that after the Hurricane IIC the IID will come somedays ....

But as far as I am concerned I am wainting from Armahobby is the Mustang P51 D scheduled for this year's end ...

And after the Mustangs I really hope that Armahobby will work on the early P 47 Thunderbolt versions ...

Best Regards

Patrice

• Like 3

1 hour ago, TEMPESTMK5 said:

But as far as I am concerned I am wainting from Armahobby is the Mustang P51 D scheduled for this year's end ...

And after the Mustangs I really hope that Armahobby will work on the early P 47 Thunderbolt versions ...

Here too I'm very exited about the P-51D, lots decal sheets waiting for them. I hope they also inject the dual antennas that many VLR Mustangs had, I have a lovely DK Decals sheet with 21 different schemes. If I remember correctly, before the war Dora Wings announced an early P-47 project. But if they ever gets released is another thing. Among my top 5 wishes for a new tool from AH is a new MC.202. Good looking plane if there ever was one.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

Here too I'm very exited about the P-51D, lots decal sheets waiting for them. I hope they also inject the dual antennas that many VLR Mustangs had, I have a lovely DK Decals sheet with 21 different schemes. If I remember correctly, before the war Dora Wings announced an early P-47 project. But if they ever gets released is another thing. Among my top 5 wishes for a new tool from AH is a new MC.202. Good looking plane if there ever was one.

Hopefully also an F-6D as well since we got an F-6C.

• Like 5