Arma Hobby new variant of an existing kit announced, pre-orders starting on week 41

TheKinksFan

This is from their October newsletter:

"Next week we will start pre-orders for the next Arma Hobby model. It will be a variant of one of our previous sets. We made conversion using 3D accessories. Check out armahobbynews and our store next week and follow us on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter. We plan to ship the model at the end of October 2022."

Edited by TheKinksFan
typo removed
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

There's no cure for 1/72 disease.

Having sold off my entire 1/48th stash over the last year, I wholeheartedly agree.

A Sea Hurricane would be a good addition. They have already done quite a few variants. Not being an expert on the airframe, but is there any variation in the Ki-84 perhaps?

Edited by RunRookieRun
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, TheKinksFan said:

I just sold my Airfix 1/48 Sea Hurricane. A 1/72 Arma Hobby would be a neat replacement ...

11 hours ago, RunRookieRun said:

A Sea Hurricane would be a good addition. They have already done quite a few variants. 

Taking into account the fact that @GrzeM from Arma Hobby was looking for pictures of the hook and catapult spools recently, you might be right.

Cheers

Michael

Edited by KRK4m
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Ngantek said:

Yay! Or also oh bugger, how do I get rid of this 'navy colours' boxing!?

Keep the contents and ditch the cardboard. Problem solved, and you get to keep the Hurricane too :P

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

I just got the email from Arma Hobby, I think I can now cobble together another order so I can get the P-39 as well. Having taken inventory of my Arma stash, I have 23 kits (12 Hurricanes). This would make it 13 Hurricanes, and with the announcement coming on the 13th of October! Maybe I better order 2 Hurricanes? I’m planning on diving into my Hurricanes next year, after I do a couple of big Spitfires. Looking forward to this.

Cheers

Jeff

• Like 3

If I'm not mistaken, the topside of these Sea Hurricanes were painted in extra dark sea grey and dark slate grey. I've got AK's Real Colors, but they are totally off. Dark slate grey is not at all green, and dark sea grey is darker than extra dark sea grey. I've once used Vallejo Model Air paints which they claim to correspond to the FAA colours, but I'm not sure how good match they are. Has anyone of you who has MAP colour swatches compared the MRP paints, if they are anywhere close?

11 minutes ago, TheKinksFan said:

I've got AK's Real Colors, but they are totally off. Dark slate grey is not at all green, and dark sea grey is darker than extra dark sea grey. I've once used Vallejo Model Air paints which they claim to correspond to the FAA colours, but I'm not sure how good match they are.

The Spanish paint companies don't seem able to match colours with "both hands and a map"

Vallejo likely do have colours that are close, but called something else....    

I should look into it again, but matching colours by eye requires daylight and patience for doing the mixes that ensue....  

• Like 1

I asked Arma Hobby if this kit will be available also from regular retailers. It will, that is good news, especially as most of you live outside EU. But I assume that not a huge number of these will be released, as the capacity to print the 3d parts is at the moment limited.

7 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

The Spanish paint companies don't seem able to match colours with "both hands and a map"

Vallejo likely do have colours that are close, but called something else....    

In AK Interactive's case it's especially annoying, as they are so arrogant in their advertising and hyping of their products. They used the expertise and knowledge of people like Nick Millman to publish the books, but then don't care to carefully match the paints to the colour samples they were given. Very nice paint, though.

Vallejo's designations are totally chaotic, the same paint can be claimed to match a Federal Standard, RAL, RLM and ANA number. And they constantly change these designations, not to mention that the colours themselves change even when the label is the same. I found a thread from 2012, where @stevehnz recommended a 3:2 mix of Vallejo 70924 Russian Uniform and 70869 Basalt Grey. I think I've got the Basalt Grey, but there's no guarantee that either paints are still the same. For my Airfix Swordfish I used Vallejo's 71.110 for EDSG, 71.309 for dark slate grey, 71.097 for DSG and 71.329 for ligh slate grey. 

• Like 2

Recently I was contemplating about doing some crosskitting by combining the Revell Sea Hurricane fuselage with the spare Mk IIc section that can be found in the Arma Hobby Hurricane IIb box to create a more accurate Sea Hurricane Mk IIc. But I guess Arma will almost certainly release this version now as well. Just like many others here at the forum I hope they will eventually complete their 1/72 Hurricane series and release the IID and IV as well as the Canadian versions with different props.

• Like 1

To be honest, considering all the possibilities what could be a new variant this announcement is the most uninteresting.  I would appreciate Hurri IID or IV, even another YAK-1 variant, or new P-51 H, cavalier etc....  Is really Sea Hurri Ib interesting for anyone there?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

To be honest, considering all the possibilities what could be a new variant this announcement is the most uninteresting.  I would appreciate Hurri IID or IV, even another YAK-1 variant, or new P-51 H, cavalier etc....  Is really Sea Hurri Ib interesting for anyone there?

Considering that the announcement had mentioned the use of 3d printed parts, it was clear it would have been something requiring only a few extra parts. That excluded something like a P-51H from the start since this variant would have very few parts in common with the existing Arma kit and would really require a completely new tool.

Personally I find the Sea Hurricane pretty interesting, it was a type with quite a career and I don't remember a proper Mk.Ib ever being issued before

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, David Koktavý said:

Yes, I think quite a few modellers, especially in the UK, will be interested in a Sea Hurricane. It was quite a significant aircraft for the FAA in the early part of WWII when they were desperate for a single seat fighter of anything approaching a reasonable performance. The Hurricane in any form has always played second fiddle to the Spitfire, but was an important part of the British war effort and held the line in many places until newer aircraft became available. It has not always been well served in model form. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1