AMT-ERTL 1:1400 USS Enterprise D Fibre Optic

Hi all...

Ok. I've been meaning to do this for a good while now. And I *think* I'm finally going to start it.

I built this kit back in '96. Straight out of the box, brush painted one colour all over the hull, no gloss coats, and the fibre optic lights only lit a pin hole in each window, not the whole window. It was still easily the most impressive model I'd made at that time. The finished build eventually died and is long gone.

But last year I found another one and bought it. It's been on my mind since then, and I think I'm finally biting the bullet to start it. Obviously, I'd like to do a better job of it this time! :)

I've spent the last few days doing research, there are lots of excellent builds of this out there, though most of them are the later, clear plastic, kits, which helps with the lighting of the windows.

I have some box pics etc. but am struggling to find a new Photo Hosting site (preferably a free one!) so I'll keep them until I find one.

I do have a basic plan, but it's liable to change. I've ordered the 4 Tone "Generations" masks, so I'll be painting the Aztec scheme. I've also ordered replacement decals from Jt-Graphics, as the kit decals look very suspect at this stage. And I've ordered the Green Strawberry PE set, which will add some nice detail, and cover the trenches I have to cut for the wiring up to the pylons, So the first part of my plan is to throw money at the problem! ;)

Next, the windows. I want to have them lit full-length, not just pinpoints of light from the fibre optics. Current thinking is to drill out the windows that will be lit and fill them with Kyrstal Klear. However, they'll need to be drilled before painting/assembly obviously, but the Krystal Klear will need to be added *after* painting, so that might be a little awkward to do. And I have to decide is I'll still use the kit light sources/fibre optics, of if I'll go for LEDs inside instead. I've no experience of LEDs, but nearly all online builds are using them.

Firstly though, I need to strip primer off the kit (I bought it second hand) and I also need to sand it all down, removing the raised panel lines depicting the Aztec pattern, as the masks will sit much better with a smooth surface. Of course, I want to remove the panel lines, but not the other detail (lifeboats etc.). So that will be fun.

This thread really is the first step though, and sure now I have to start work, as I'm writing about it! :)

I'll post pictures as soon as I can figure out how...

• Like 4

Ok, so I'm not saying it's been months since I was at the bench, and I'm not saying middle age is taking its toll, but I only just remembered that I moved to Google Photos near the end of my last build! So here are some pics...

The Box...

mbS3_jfS_DSWts_jYmnnVW4s3EXRBBMvpv-85fKc

The Saucers (you can see in the second pic that the outside is primed, and the inside isn't) ...

7a2VVM4yTszBxzUmbQAKDGNX9e2G1SFf8V2HrQZ-

EAxg23DFZoGrpivnP3AKPLM_1N9H1lpC3_96wOkP

The rest of the main parts...

kV8LH98iY1ZpjN7bv_op1Mes3DxsS9vIsXHapAR2

The clear parts and a few other bits and pieces...

2sFwHl-aGixmo_z9MgShUmhVk_hsW6GZD8zuhFEJ

The Fibre Optics, battery box, wiring and reflective material...

-NZRSN0cVDP3NbbegqyfTq3wVhws4-gaau_S403y

Old decals...

eAd17-vIqmU6Um4tW4YuuyBHxRA_LdavvFgEKSrW

Some of the Instructions...

9xS2FSq6gYeOg6hLVHtLK5fPsK-tNfU30qSlqbNZ

The decal instructions and some of the paint scheme (two tone) ...

UsJSx6IYE51_tD-t5BN_6ogHMnPNgdXy8W1RHNi2

And the wiring map...

fEelwKWM-3HPbXZ8LTDr_Y0j9UUKvy3J-zn1M_r5

More than enough to be going on with, eh? :)

• Like 11

Well, I've officially started, and already have a sense of how long this is going to take!

I have to sand off the raised panel line details from the parts. These lines are meant to represent the Aztec scheme on the surface, but that's going to be painted anyhow, and the lines themselves, while adding detail, aren't subtle. In fact, scale-wise, they'd be the equivalent of raised sections about 1.4 metres high. Anyhow, they need to go as they'll only get in the way of the paint masks for spraying the Aztec pattern.

It's taken me nearly an hour to do one half of one nacelle, so clearly this is going to take a while. Here's how it looks now, with a non-sanded one for reference...

riWeZBxS23YwaGmWlPCkGuabQeRiGGbHz69gqBjE

The black blobs are some superglue that I'll sand off, just covering a few slight dips in the plastic. Apart from the black dots it is at least looking a lot smoother! Just three more nacelles, two pylons, the underside of the ship, the upper hull, the rear of the neck, and the two saucers to go!

• Like 8

Not much of an interesting update...

Now have the first lower nacelle sanded. It was a little more awkward due to the corners/angles involved. I did a lot more scrapping with the scalpel with this one, which of course led to a lot of small, statically charged pieces of plastic...

kQJaVNzWpB1KAMK2t2lUA4T6OXEv2qkoN1i1Vudp

And then sanded it down as best I could, with some more black super glue for filler in a couple of small sections....

GWvQ6lcjN8wl3CapXk7oxh_zGQZNqwGU21Fy3gi8

So, one Nacelle done, a lot more to do. I'm trying to come up with some sort of faster/tidier way of doing this, but no luck so far!

• Like 8

Another bit of an update. Firstly, I got these today, they'll be needed...

uuj8w1sSkDcHqvJehjuW1q6QJHf1bslgqej3QZx3

With those new sanding sticks, I got working on the other lower nacelle tonight, and it's now done...

nLwbYxDMB2y9_QgQ-Inuz5Z0KgsvOybVioQGSn1n

A far more interesting update (not that that would be too hard) is that these arrived....

6R__gBmzosFM1O41KBuFJmTIDU_ZRTyxtCBzhn0I

Now, that's a *lot* of masks, but of course I *had* to go with the 4 colour ones, the 2 colour ones wouldn't do, oh no! :) So that's going to be a lot of fun at some stage in the future...

Anyhow, the new sanding sticks worked well, so I'll get the final nacelle done soon, and then it's on to slightly more interesting parts. Some sections will be very awkward, as I want to get rid of the raised lines, but not the other detail that I want to keep. But we'll see how that goes when I get there.

I'm also looking into LED sets, but the only ones I can find seem to have Navigation lights that are basically a LED tower bulb sticking on the top and bottom of the left and right side of the saucer. They look very out of place and far too big, and it seems weird that someone would even think they would be acceptable. So, I'll continue to look and see what I can find...

• Like 8

Not an update that needs a pic (how many sanded nacelles do you need to see?) but the last nacelle half is sanded. So that's the nacelles done.

That leaves me with 5 (larger) parts left, the upper and lower saucers, the back of the "neck" (the sides of the neck don't have any raised detail) the top of the rear and the lower rear/pylons. Most of the lower rear/pylons doesn't have any windows, but the rest do, and that's detail I don't want to sand away. There are also raised phaser banks and barely raised lifeboats. The phaser banks I *think* need to be sanded off (they'll be replaced by PE), and the lifeboats are really only there to show me where to put the decals that cover them. But it's going to take some very careful sanding to get rid of the raised detail and keep the rest.

• Like 5

The kit wiring isn't too bad actually, though my thoughts on that might change if I go with LEDS instead. The only issue with the kit lighting really is the Fibre Optics give pinpoints of light (which look really cool!) but the windows are long rectangles, so the Fibre Optics won't light the whole window. Hence me looking into other options.

I have managed a little more on this, have started sanding the upper half of the "tail"/pylons...

hcGx0zto_nmz9StJjgTyOAS_3hlDt02xuKVEM-zv

It's a little rough. I'm not too worried about the phaser banks and other sections (Transporter arrays maybe?) still being a little raised, as they'll be covered by PE and Decals respectively. And the panel lines near the front of the Pylons are recessed, not raised. They'll also be replaced by PE, as that section is where you cut out space to run the wires up to the Nacelles. I haven't done that yet, as I don't know what wires I'll be running yet. I need to get my light system finalised first.

Speaking of PE, the PE set also arrived...

ZC3bubFwbfkbipSkwVGicPfN-5Z3i8SkG2_92K9F

Looks nice! You can see the two wide pieces in the lower PE Sheet, these replace those recessed panels on the front of the pylons. The Phaser Bank PE looks nicely detailed, but it needs to be curved along its length, so that might be interesting to do well.

So, that only leaves me waiting for the replacement decals (already ordered) and what to do with the lights. I've found a few LED Lighting kits, but as I've said, the Nav lights in those kits are far too toy-like. I have tried another site, with a different set, but they're out of stock. And yet another site haven't responded. So, no progress there. I could still use the kit lights and figure out how to light the windows fully using the Fibre Optics, but so far I don't have that sussed out. Once I have some windows drilled I can do some tests.

Speaking of drilling windows, I still have to figure out how to paint the model with them all drilled out, will I need to mask them to stop the paint going inside, or are the windows skinny enough for it not to matter? AND I need to figure out do I fill them with Krystal Klear *after* the paint is done, to give them 'glass'. Lots to ponder! :) I can see what they brought out the clear plastic kit.

More to follow...

• Like 6

A little bit of a sanding update...

Firstly, I got a few rough bits filled and sanded on the rear of the tail (for want of a better word!) and here's how it looks now...

WOGIoCWtJTZjtU8rRb_3vogq7DNcCBuAu3ffkMCJ

And then I decided to try the upper hull. I couldn't just sand away at this, as I wanted to keep the windows so I didn't want to smooth them out. Thankfully, there weren't as many raised lines, still a few alright, but less than on the nacelles for example. So I used a sharp scalpel to scrape away as much as I could, and only then used the sanding sticks. I got rid of most of the grey primer on it too. Here's how it looks...

moYQSZFhcCF6tQXXQRjTWikh7240d8FLmYGy9Kxs

That's not too bad. Not perfect by any means, but it could be worse! It might need some more sanding when primed, but that's a while away yet.

That seems to have given me the technique to use when I'm trying to keep detail (windows/lifeboats etc.) - use the knife first to get rid of as much of the raised detail as I can, so then I can use the sanding sticks sparingly. What I have left to do now is the lower side of the "tail" (which also includes the lower hull - which has windows/lifeboats), and the rear of the "neck" and the two saucer sections. So, progress is being made, slowly!

• Like 9

• 2 weeks later...

A quick update, as I'm slowly working away with this. I now have the lower hull/tail sanded...

3ysNEcAfyVZ-Dbg7RwqaGRFgn54NBMOtTe-p9hjA

And the "rear neck" is also sanded...

5nitufWjvAWURw7U6kdhH3d6c2tRfZpwJFMRMrJ8

The top half of the "neck" doesn't need to be sanded, as it'll be attached to the lower saucer.

I was wondering if I should leave the few recessed panel lines alone, or fill them in. In the end I've decided to leave them alone, I can decide in future if I'll put a panel line wash in them or not.

Some of these parts aren't as smooth as I'd like, with some 'shadows' of the raised lines still there. I need to decide if I'm happy with that or need to work on it some more.

Apart from that, the upper and lower saucers await! :)

• Like 9

*pulls up a pew with the Riker manoeuvre*

Ahh, takes me back, I had the earlier boxing, sans lighting, in the early 90s. Likewise, it was also brush painted in various Humbrol enamels and I could never settle on something that looked right. 

Looking forward to seeing how this build turns out. Gotta love the big D!

• Thanks 1

Nice to see all these Enterprise D re-builds. 

I have one I did with a locally made conversion kit that turned it into the refit D from "All Good Things". It's still at my folks somewhere so I'll try to remember to grab some pics of it next time I'm there. 

Carl

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, I haven't got to the Saucers yet, with real life getting in the way. I'm also struggling to find a 3rd party LED lighting set that will work for me, so that's slowing me down a little. I'll update again as soon as I can!

2 hours ago, Bobby No Mac said:

spacer.png

Ah, cinematic legend born from a back injury!

27 minutes ago, Jasonb13 said:

Thanks everyone!

Unfortunately, I haven't got to the Saucers yet, with real life getting in the way. I'm also struggling to find a 3rd party LED lighting set that will work for me, so that's slowing me down a little. I'll update again as soon as I can!

Have you considered putting your own together, or modifying one that's close to what you want?

James

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've just completed the 1:1000 Enterprise Refit and the 1:2500 Enterprise D and did these before the big reveale in Picard S3 Ep 9 "Vox" where the Enterprise D is displayed since its destruction at Veridian 3. Anyway,got me thinking, time to get my version of this set out and make a start on it.

Wondering how things have been going of late?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

It's going nowhere of late. All that sanding wore down my modelling mojo and I ended up not building anything for ages! I finally got back modelling about a month or two ago, but haven't gone back to this yet. I'm sure I will eventually though!

• Like 2

On 10/9/2022 at 1:15 PM, Jasonb13 said:

Ok, so I'm not saying it's been months since I was at the bench, and I'm not saying middle age is taking its toll, but I only just remembered that I moved to Google Photos near the end of my last build! So here are some pics...

The Box...

mbS3_jfS_DSWts_jYmnnVW4s3EXRBBMvpv-85fKc

The Saucers (you can see in the second pic that the outside is primed, and the inside isn't) ...

7a2VVM4yTszBxzUmbQAKDGNX9e2G1SFf8V2HrQZ-

EAxg23DFZoGrpivnP3AKPLM_1N9H1lpC3_96wOkP

The rest of the main parts...

kV8LH98iY1ZpjN7bv_op1Mes3DxsS9vIsXHapAR2

The clear parts and a few other bits and pieces...

2sFwHl-aGixmo_z9MgShUmhVk_hsW6GZD8zuhFEJ

The Fibre Optics, battery box, wiring and reflective material...

-NZRSN0cVDP3NbbegqyfTq3wVhws4-gaau_S403y

Old decals...

eAd17-vIqmU6Um4tW4YuuyBHxRA_LdavvFgEKSrW

Some of the Instructions...

9xS2FSq6gYeOg6hLVHtLK5fPsK-tNfU30qSlqbNZ

The decal instructions and some of the paint scheme (two tone) ...

UsJSx6IYE51_tD-t5BN_6ogHMnPNgdXy8W1RHNi2

And the wiring map...

fEelwKWM-3HPbXZ8LTDr_Y0j9UUKvy3J-zn1M_r5

More than enough to be going on with, eh? :)

Hi Jason,

I'm starting out doing my model but I'm not 100% I've got all the instructions, wondering if it is possible to photo the instructions please? Just want to make sure I've got All the paper work in place before starting.

I've got sheets 1 and 2 of 3

Thanks

Dyf

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, dyfed0_0 said:

Hi Jason,

I'm starting out doing my model but I'm not 100% I've got all the instructions, wondering if it is possible to photo the instructions please? Just want to make sure I've got All the paper work in place before starting.

I've got sheets 1 and 2 of 3

Thanks

Dyf

Hi Dyf,

No worries, I'll take pics when I'm home over the weekend and post them up here.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2023 at 1:11 PM, Jasonb13 said:

Hi Dyf,

No worries, I'll take pics when I'm home over the weekend and post them up here.

Hi Jason,

Really appreciate it, I am not 100% but I think I am missing one.

Since we both have the same model and I see you thought about using LED's instead of the the incandesant bulbs which to me, makes sense. Ive been looking the same way ive bought the LED's and been playing on the breadboard ive got but not sure of the resistors. Im doing them in series rather than parallel, and Ive got 120 ohms resisters for white and blue and 150 ohms for the red ones. I suspect that they reduce as they add up but not sure, did you work it out?

Cheers

Dyf

• Thanks 1