Duxford Flying Finale, October 2022

What can I say? What an amazing day - gorgeous weather, warbirds, aerobatics and fast jets!

Without doubt, an excellent end to my air show season.

I hope you enjoy some of my favourite shots from the day (in the inevitably tricky Duxford light!)

DSC_1642.jpg

DSC_1730.jpg

DSC_1747.jpg

DSC_1788.jpg

DSC_1843.jpg

Patrouille Suisse made an appearance in the morning, which we were told was for familiarisation only, but they treated us to what seemed like their full display!

DSC_1956.jpg

DSC_2119.jpg

DSC_2182.jpg

DSC_2268.jpg

DSC_2286.jpg

DSC_2307.jpg

DSC_2313.jpg

DSC_2332.jpg

DSC_2356.jpg

DSC_2376.jpg

DSC_2402.jpg

DSC_2487.jpg

DSC_2497.jpg

DSC_2519.jpg

DSC_2545.jpg

DSC_2561.jpg

DSC_2610.jpg

DSC_2628.jpg

DSC_2635.jpg

DSC_2764.jpg

DSC_2786.jpg

DSC_2830.jpg

The second appearance of the day!

DSC_2981.jpg

DSC_3003.jpg

DSC_3033.jpg

DSC_3063.jpg

DSC_3103.jpg

DSC_3158.jpg

DSC_3191.jpg

DSC_3206.jpg

DSC_3236.jpg

DSC_3263.jpg

DSC_3315.jpg

DSC_3356.jpg

DSC_3380.jpg

Thanks for looking, these were just a few of the (ahem) 1700 images I took - and I was trying to be disciplined!

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, gazza l said:

Cracking shots there, lovely light this time of year. I heard the Typhoon in Cambridge whilst out in my garden. 

gazza l

Thanks for the kind words, Gazza. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. Did you hear the Swiss, as well?

4 hours ago, ColinChipmunkfan said:

Thanks for posting these.  Great photography and some lovely shots of the Suisse team.

Colin😀

Thank you so much, Colin. It was great to be treated to two displays by Patrouille Suisse in such gorgeous weather. I'm pleased you enjoyed the shots.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, franky boy said:

Great photos as always @Alpha Delta 210

Its good to to see the October airshow back at Duxford after a long break. Was it well attended?

Thanks

James

Thanks very much, James. I'm pleased you enjoyed them! Yes, it was a sell-out and I understand that some visitors took 2 hours to leave the North Car Park - you would think that the IWM would have done it enough times to get it right!!

It was an odd, hybrid event - neither a Flying Day nor an Air Show, which meant that visitor numbers were restricted and there were just a handful of traders and food vendors. Members had to pay (Flying Days are free) and there was no car park charge. Members were permitted to park in the Visitor Centre car park, which was reserved for disabled visitors only at the previous Flying Day.

All in all, a fabulous end to the season in beautiful weather!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Thanks for the kind words, Gazza. I'm pleased that you enjoyed them. Did you hear the Swiss, as well?

Thank you so much, Colin. It was great to be treated to two displays by Patrouille Suisse in such gorgeous weather. I'm pleased you enjoyed the shots.

I did hear them to the east of the city on their return to Waddington. I was hoping they might fly over Cambridge like the Koreans did in July.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, gazza l said:

I did hear them to the east of the city on their return to Waddington. I was hoping they might fly over Cambridge like the Koreans did in July.

That's a shame. I was monitoring their movements on Fighter Control, but was still taken by surprise when they appeared over the M11 for their "familiarisation"! The leader was using the callsign "Tiger 1".

• Like 2

What a great finale to your 2022 airshow and visits season!  You'll probably need the winter to recover, sort out the thousands of images no doubt taken, and to start planning for 2023.  Some superb golden, Autumnal light and sublime topsides. Hard to pick favourites from such an ace selection, but I like the Patrouille shots immensely and the Catalina head on is glorious.

Time to hang up the camera bag up for a few months ? :)

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 112 Squadron said:

Thank you so much for sharing these amazing pictures. It is always a pleasure to see your contributions to the Aviation Photography subforum.

Thank you do much, 112. I am humbled by your kind words.

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Fantastic, really enjoyed these too. Am I the only one that thinks a Sea fury looks as good on the ground as in the air?  :)

Steve.

Thanks very much, Steve. I'm delighted that you enjoyed them! I took some pictures of the Fury on static display and agree that it looks awesome on the ground AND in the air!

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, canberraman said:

What a great finale to your 2022 airshow and visits season!  You'll probably need the winter to recover, sort out the thousands of images no doubt taken, and to start planning for 2023.  Some superb golden, Autumnal light and sublime topsides. Hard to pick favourites from such an ace selection, but I like the Patrouille shots immensely and the Catalina head on is glorious.

Time to hang up the camera bag up for a few months ? :)

Mark

Hi Mark. I hope you're keeping well. Thank you for the kind words! I create an annual photo book of my aviation adventures, which I will start creating when I return from my 2-week business trip.

My favourite is also the Catalina head-on which I converted to black and white because I was shooting into the sun snd it just looked better!

One of my camera bodies developed an intermittent fault yesterday, so at least I have time to resolve it before next spring!

• Like 2

9 hours ago, modelling minion said:

What a great set of pictures, absolutely fantastic.

Thanks for sharing them.

🇺🇦

Thank you very much, modelling minion, I'm so pleased that you enjoyed them.👍

PS, I've just looked at them again and have noticed dust spots on some of them, so a winter task will be cleaning my sensor!🙄

• Like 4

Hello Alpha Delta 210.

Well finally I got to see your WONDROUS photography from Duxford. 

Amazing  photographs.

AWESOME  plethora of beautiful  aircrafts  ...

Love the PBY Catalina  photograph in black and white.

:wub:  :heart:

Thank you for sharing your photographs  from your days out into Duxford et al...  I feel as if I'm there !!!

Always a great pleasure to see your Aviation photography. 

:heart:

:worthy:

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

Wonderful! 😍

Thank you very much, I'm pleased that you enjoyed my record of one of the better Duxford shows of recent years.

4 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

Hello Alpha Delta 210.

Well finally I got to see your WONDROUS photography from Duxford. 

Amazing  photographs.

AWESOME  plethora of beautiful  aircrafts  ...

Love the PBY Catalina  photograph in black and white.

:wub:  :heart:

Thank you for sharing your photographs  from your days out into Duxford et al...  I feel as if I'm there !!!

Always a great pleasure to see your Aviation photography. 

:heart:

:worthy:

Hello Houston. Your enthusiasm is a great motivator! Thank you very much for the kind words and l'm delighted that you like the head-on shot of the PBY.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some terrific shots there and in glorious weather too. The b&w head on of the Catalina is a cracker! I also really like the Wildcat shots which I am fond off even if it sounds like a bag of nails when in the air. Thanks for sharing these. 

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Some terrific shots there and in glorious weather too. The b&w head on of the Catalina is a cracker! I also really like the Wildcat shots which I am fond off even if it sounds like a bag of nails when in the air. Thanks for sharing these. 

Thank you very much, Latinbear. I'm really pleased you enjoyed them! I was very happy with the Catalina head-on because that was the shot I hoped to capture before I moved from the American Air Museum end to the M11 end to get a slightly different perspective on the day. I agree about the "bag of nails" in comparison to the silky smoothness of a Merlin!🤣