Hunter GA.Mk.11 - 1/32 Revell + Flightpath (well, sort of)

Here we have a 1/32 Hunter GA.Mk.11, converted from Revell’s Hunter FGA.Mk.9 using the Flightpath set.  It’s in FRADU markings from around 1980, before they went overall grey.

Hunter1

This build has taken a long time, and it’s largely because I just couldn’t get on with the kit or the conversion.  The Revell Hunter is actually an excellent kit in many ways, but it includes a few pitfalls that waylaid me.  For instance, the intakes are meant to fit cunningly inside the airframe to lock it all together once you add the wings.  But I couldn’t get them to assemble cleanly, and that meant they wouldn’t fit - hence the intake blanks.  The wings could use more internal bracing to make sure they close properly without the edges opening up, and the wingtips are a poor fit.  The maingear doors come with a forest of little jacks and stays that are none of them quite the right length, and few have positive location points.  I left half of them in the box.  And the cockpit’s a bit basic, especially the seat.  Still, the kit’s got lovely surface detail, and it fits well everywhere else.  And it absolutely looks the part.

Hunter2

The conversion comprises two heavyweight frets of PE steel and a few bits of resin and white metal.  I ended up using none of the PE at all and only the resin tailcone and the white metal hook.  Not wanting to start an argument or anything, but I found the PE murder to work with and no great improvement on the kit, so let’s just say I gave up on it.  The tailcone is the slightly smaller fit of the Mk.11 (in real life, converted from an old Mk.4).  Now, the first version of the kit was the Mk.9 with the brake parachute, which covered the lower part of the fin.  The conversion was designed for that kit and of course has no parachute - but while you get the end of the fuselage, you’re on your own when it comes to reinstating that bit of the fin.  Ah well.

Hunter3

The Harley light I had to knock up myself, but it’s surprisingly easy, mostly using the kit itself.  You saw the tip off the nose and round off the lip; then you assemble one of the larger tanks that you probably won’t use because it’s a Mk.11, and you cut the nose off that; then you mount it reversed inside the kit’s nose; then you drop in a Maverick seeker head (from the Swiss version), also reversed; and you close it all off with a little bit of acetate.  The only other addition is the predictably excellent pitot tube from Master.

Hunter4

The bulk of the decals were from the kit and went on superbly, even after 24 years on the shelf.  However, some were just tiny specks of ink, so I disposed of them.  The FRADU markings came together through the generosity of Britmodeller members - speedy for the underwing serials, and someone else whose name I just can’t recover for the white stuff.  They came from the old Echelon Hunter, and they all worked just right too.

Hunter5

Finally, it was me who stuffed up the undercarriage.

Hunter6

• Like 47
  • Thanks 3

• pigsty changed the title to Hunter GA.Mk.11 - 1/32 Revell + Flightpath (well, sort of)

This kit is in my stash, bought second hand in the last couple of months. Am really looking forward to building it.

Lots to take on board from your experiences, so thanks for describing some of the build process 👍

I'm at a stage in my experience of this hobby that any pitfalls welcome me with open arms.

Sometimes, even the ones I've been forewarned about.

• 3 weeks later...

Very good looking FGA.11, @pigsty!

I have in mind to build a Rough Diamonds aircraft in the future. With regards to the difficulty of fitting the intakes, I may have a solution. Having built 5 of these,

The fuselage must be assembled first, without the tail cone. Use a dowel to force the intake assembly into the wing, and adjust the intake fit. I’ve had good results with this method. HTH.

TW

Ooooooo this looks lovely,  that underside staying really looks the part. Love it.  Thanks for the heads up too, I have this kit and the Flightpath GA.11 conversion too.  Also thanks for the info re the Harley light too that is  brilliant idea and will use that too.

Wonderful 

Chris