Enzo's Special Hobby Project

I have a project on the go for Meteor F8s.  Seems only fair that I give the nightfighters a chance. :)

I'm going to build an NF.11 and NF.14 from the respective Special Hobby kits.

spacer.png

This sprue is specific to the NF.14 kit.  The NF.11 and NF.12 have different sprues to provide the relevant nose and canopy options.

spacer.png

The remainder are common to all the kits.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The NF.11 box

spacer.png

And the relevant fuselage sprue.

spacer.png

• Like 7

I mentioned in my F8 thread that I was spoiled for choice with marking options.   The situation is even worse for the nightfighter Meteors.

spacer.png

The Alley Cat sheet is a work of art!   The Modeldecal sheets provide options for 19 different units between them.    I think I will probably build the NF.14 as a 72 Sqn aircraft with a black fin, but things could change.  :shrug:

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I have the same modeldecal sheets myself. I plan on doing a NF.11 in 151 Squadron machine someday as I do love the markings. 

Very appropriate for a jet based at Leuchars.

• Like 1

I'll be following along your builds with interest, Enzo. I've not tried a SH kit yet, but those sprues look nicely detailed. It'll be interesting to see your thoughts on these vs the new tool Airfix as well 

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The two models are very similar in their build, for obvious reasons.  However, the cockpits are somewhat different given the more sophisticated radar in the NF14.   Parts for all three versions (11/13, 12 & 14) are in the box so it is important to note carefully the correct ones to use.

The cockpit parts are nicely detailed but given that everything is black, I'm not sure how much will be visible.

spacer.png

The cockpit assemblies build up nicely.

spacer.png

And there is plenty of room for ballast.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Nice work Enzo. 

I’ve just started one these SH Meteors myself, an nf12. I haven’t built anything in 72nd scale for years and have been really impressed by the cockpit detail. As you say it’s a shame it’s all black but plenty of dry brushing…….

James

• Like 1

On to the wings.  It is interesting how Airfix and Special Hobby have taken differen approaches to the forward nacelles.   Special Hobby has moulded them in with the wings.

spacer.png

There is also a part to represent the wing leading edge which is show fitted here but not in the photgraph above.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Back to the cockpit.   I completed the rear panel and radar gear for the NF11.  I have yet to complete the cockpit interior for the NF14.  This is because I intend to show the NF14 with the canopy slid open.

The NF11 will have the canopy closed.  My experience with side-hinged canopies is that they should always be kept closed.  Leaving them open puts a great deal of stress on the hinges.  If they are left open on the line, a gust of wind can cause damage.   I have seen Harrier T-birds placed Cat 4 because of the damage the wing can do to the hinges.  SOP for Harriers was to keep the canopies closed unless they were undergoing maintenance and had a strut fitted.  Failure to do so could lead to disciplinary action.  I know that the same rule was in force for Hawks and Tucanos and I imagine it would also have applied to Meteors.

The seatbelts were from an Eduard PE set, painted blue after fitment.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wings were then fitted.

spacer.png

• Like 6

The canopy was then fitted to the NF11 and masked using a Peewit masking set.

spacer.png

The NF14 was simply masked up with Tamiya tape on the windscreen with tissue tape and Copydex sealing the cockpit.

spacer.png

Both were then primed with a coat of clear lacquer followed by grey plastic car primer from a rattle can.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 9

The camouflage schemes worn by the Meteor nightfighters were interesting because they charted the transition from dedicated nightfighters to all weather fighters.

The initial scheme was the same as that worn by wartime night fighter Beaufighters and Mosquitos: overall Medium Sea Grey and an uppersurface disruptive pattern of Dark Green with a mid fuselage demarcation line. 

The interim scheme had the uppersurface Medium Sea Grey replaced with Dark Sea Grey.  There was still a mid fuselage demarcation lne.

Next step was to move the demarcation line lower to match that of Meteor day fighters.  The undersurfaces were still in Medium Sea Grey, although the aircraft of 60 Sqn had theirs in High Speed Silver, identical to the scheme worn by day fighters at the time.

The NF11 will have the original scheme while the NF14 will wear the interim scheme.

So the NF11 was sprayed overall with Xtracrylix XA1003 Medium Sea Grey while the NF14 was sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1004 Dark Sea Grey.

spacer.png

The disruptive patterns were then masked.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And sprayed with Xtracrylix XA1001 Dark Green.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The undersurfaces of both models were then sprayed with XA1003.  For the NF14 this would normally include the rear fuselage aft of the last green segment and the fin below the tailplane.  However, the aircraft I intend to build has a black fin.

The radomes of both aircraft were sprayed with a 50:50 mix of Tamiya XF-69 and Lifecolor UA-736 Burned Black.

spacer.png

Ready for the decals, I think.

• Like 11

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...