Fw190/Ta152 STGB Chat

Marklo

I’ve only had two brushes wit kit manufacturers warranty departments.

Roden whom I emailed after trashing a set of decals on a DH4 they promptly sent me a replacement set free of charge.

And Airfix after I lost a canopy for a Skyhawk who agreed to sell me a replacement for more than the price of a new kit. So I made a replacement myself…

• Like 2

Now as you probably are aware some of my builds should be sponsored by milliput so I’d consider both of those repairs as just a little filling, ok you might need a bit of 20 thou card on the fuselage.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 23/01/2023 at 17:36, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hoping to get to my build eventually but too many health issues and Dr’s and distractions right now. 

Get well soon mate, we're all here for you  :like:

Cheers Pat

• Thanks 1

@stevej60, from my experience with Airfix custmer service, you should be able to get the parts replaced without an issue. I've had a couple of kits with missing bits replaced quickly, and they even sent me a replacement for the cracked canopy on my 1/48 Sabre, all free of charge. And I was honest & upfront about having broken the Sabre canopy myself with my first email

James

This kit just arrived today from big 'H' along with some AM for my other builds.  Next in line after the A-2 is the A-3.

IMG_2033

I'll start my build thread in a couple of days, now I've got the AM I was waiting for I can push on with my other two builds. :penguin::penguin:

• Like 4

Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone might be able to explain to me what the differences in use between the two canopy options of the A-8 are, the straight and the blown canopies? Do they have any significance for model designation/role etc, or are they (and were they in real life) interchangeable?

Thanks!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hammer2023 said:

Hey everyone!

I was hoping someone might be able to explain to me what the differences in use between the two canopy options of the A-8 are, the straight and the blown canopies? Do they have any significance for model designation/role etc, or are they (and were they in real life) interchangeable?

Thanks!

Much like the Malcolm hoods on P-47’s and P-51’s with the allies. Yes they were interchangeable, it was all dependent on when and where they were built. Or when and where they needed a replacement.  

• Thanks 1

I was hoping to canvas some opinion on the appearance of a plane before I start painting my Airfix 190 A8 in the box colours (or perhaps some knows the answer!). It was the plane of Fw Martin Ullman of JG5 in Norway in the Spring of 1945.

The Airfix box art has a black square painted around the exhaust. Looking at photos, I'm not sure this is correct, and wonder if it might just be exhaust soot. It's hard to tell, though. Indeed, the front of box art of the kit doesn't have it, and the plane of a fellow pilot in his squadron, Fw Rudi Artner, clearly doesn't have it in photos. Eduard do a scheme of Artner's plane, and their painting instructions also don't have it.

Here's the box painting guide (apologies for the store link image, it was the only one online I could find)

spacer.png

Here are a couple of Ullman's Plane:

spacer.pngspacer.png

If it is painted, I don't think it extends as high as the Airfix guide has it. And perhaps the most telling image, here's Wart Wolfgang Barske standing by the section in question of Ullman's plane:

spacer.png

I can't see any colour variation between the exhaust area and the rest of the fuselage here, but certainly don't have a trained eye for this sort of thing!

Finally, here's a photo of Artner's plane from the same squadron at the same time, where the blackening looks to me to be soot staining rather than painting:

spacer.png

What do you guy's think? I'd appreciate any thoughts you might have on it, even if it's only speculation!

Edited by Hammer2023

Yeah, it's hard to say. I've seen plenty of modern photos of currently flying ones that have this section painted in black, and a few from the WWII period that do also. It's really just this plane that I'm unsure about, largely because the other planes in JG5 don't seem to have it, and the close up photo doesn't look to either.

I'm also probably overthinking this...

I think I'm leaning toward just copying the box art and leaving it at that!

2 hours ago, Hammer2023 said:

I'm also probably overthinking this...

Unless you can find one of his ground crew or more clear photo’s that are definitive one way or another. Id say go with your heart, no one can dispute it without the luxury of a Tardis. 

• Haha 1

Some 1:1 scale work got in the way of the FWs today.

F56-D4185-8-D9-B-438-F-909-F-C5-C19579-EThis which is sticking 

4-BD36-BD9-F1-DB-4727-B62-A-65-CDD188-C6
had to be replaced by this, however the DIY gods were smiling as I actually had all the right tools and fittings and mores the point the new valve works properly :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Three weeks in fifty five build threads and two finished. A great STGB so far.

My Erhardt is done and my Ju88 nearly so I can concentrate on my four FW190 builds.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4

Some tips and tricks to build the "old" 1/48 Eduard tooling

This is the third A-8 which I build with visible engine. From my experience I would say that the kit is unbuildable if you follow the instructioncs. So here are my ideas:

1. Do not glue parts H3 and I4 together. Leave them apart, just as H20/21.

2. When the cockpit tub is complete, remove some plastic on the sides, where the tub is supposed to fit into the fuselage sides. Make the tub slimmer in the front part.

3. Glue the fuselage halves, but only behind the pilot`s seat. Glue the cockpit tub into the fuselage, but only use glue behind the pilot`s seat. Now the front parts of fuselage and cockpit can still be moved. Test fit with the lower wings, fit hould be perfect.

4. Now insert I4, test fit with lower wings. If fit is still good, glue I4. Thereafter H3 with H5/6. Then I21. This is the most difficult part, a small gap may be visible and has to be puttied later. Check at this point if the width of the fuselage is right for the windscreen part. The position of I21 is importantt for a perfect fit of the windscreen. The fuselage must be neither too narrow nor too wide. Now glue H20/21. Now paint all that in 02.

5. Build the u/c bay. Leave J27 aside. Cut them so that the cut is hidden in the leading edge. Insert one part from the u/c bay, the other from the front. But this can be done in the end.

6. Glue the lower wing portion to the fuselage, but only use glue aft of the wing. Now test fit: upper wings on lower and lower wings to fuselage, when fit is good (it should be) glue.

7. Build the engine. Do not glue the exhausts yet.

8. Glue part K18 witthh the "ears" against the fuselage sides. Now glue J25/35/34 into position.

9. Glue the engine into K18. Test fit with cowling ring before. Now you can position the exhausts. I did not do it this way in my current buils, but I will next time. This way you can glue the exhausts on two points, on the cylinders and also with the tiniest drop of CA glue to the black panel. It should be stronger and easier to align than with the template.

Hope it helps. Have I forgotten anything? Hope not. More ideas appreciated. For pictures see my build thread in this GB.

Volker

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I've stalled a bit with my 152 as I was away for 10 days and now work is a bit tiring. Its occurred to me though I need a few bits. Want to mount it a bit different which will be straight forward, but something I need some help with is decals for the tail. What do you think would generally be the best set to get?

These?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/X72036?result-token=OsMlU

Or these?

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/TM72101?result-token=OsMlU

Thanks for any help folks 👍