Fw190/Ta152 STGB Chat

Marklo

On 09/01/2023 at 10:25, Marklo said:

Sorry for the delay in answering the call, I just couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to build.  So I've got a few short nose FW's out of the stash that I would like to build and see what I fancy having a go at, I have all the variants from A-2 to A-9 so I'm planning on starting with an A-2.  It will be interesting to see how these newer Eduard kits go together.

IMG_1992

Of the options that I have for these early machines this one is a nice colourful aircraft.  I always liked the Eagle marking. :nod:

IMG_1995

It can be a replacement for my old Tamiya FW that I built around 25 years ago.

IMG_0911

So, roll on the 21st.

• Like 8

35 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

I just couldn't make up my mind what I wanted to build.

Can anyone guess what I'm thinking...?  :wicked:

That Tamiya model doesn't need replacement.   It needs posting in the inspiration galley! :thumbsup:    Just imagine how good it will look posed next to your newbuild one. 

• Haha 5

Now if Enzo the Magnificent could only keep this GB going for...say...a year.(I wouldn't want to rush them) I could build my JV 44 Staffel, I have markings and Eduard kits for the four known aircraft, red 1, 3, 4 and 13 and the fifth aircraft was red 2 but no photos have been found of it.  Peddinghaus decals made a set of markings for red 2 on how it was believed to have looked based on a speculative profile in the Jerry Crandall FW 190 D-9 Vol 2 book.  The late Jerry Crandall was a member of Britmodeller and a few years ago I asked if anything more had been found out about this aircraft, but, unfortunately nothing has.

IMG_0912

Enzo has his JG 301 rabbit hole, mine is JV 44.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

the fifth aircraft was red 2 but no photos have been found of it. 

there's a poor view of the port side in a dump - D-11, WNr 220013, White Chevron ??, VFS-GdJ, 'Red 2', JV 44, found at Bad Aibling  (JV 44 crest is visible but no inscription). Didn't have the WNr for my Dora feature in the current issue of Aerojournal (No. 91)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

just in time for the GB, the first of Bryan McDermott's planned four monographs on Fw 190 A markings and production is just published. The first book features Norddeutschen Dornier Werk [NDW] production..

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

That's gonna be hard to resist...  :lol: 

Too chuffin' right!  Now, I know there's always the old WWEMD philosophy but that's just not realistic at this point.  Choices choices....

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Too chuffin' right!  Now, I know there's always the old WWEMD philosophy but that's just not realistic at this point.  Choices choices....

Yeah 13 simultaneous builds isn't as romantic as it sounds... 😏

spacer.png

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Umm, I may be changing my mind.  There's a Hobby2000 Ta-152H-1 eyeing me, too.

I know the feeling, I have a 1/48th Hasegawa Ta-152 giving me those looks too. :unsure:

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Is it as much of a head-mangler as it sounds?!

Well it started as a bit of an experiment (possibly fuelled by Christmas alcohol) but the production line approach has some advantages, the main one for me being motivation - by not progressing to the next stage until all are complete, it has meant that I forced myself to continue working one some of the more troublesome builds that otherwise might have gravitated towards the shelf of shame.

It does also have good efficiency when doing small tasks like cockpit interiors, you can paint the leather seats on six planes in a row and by the time you get back to the first one, it is dry and you can move onto the next part.

Might not try something as big again any time soon though, but for this GB I am planning to build my two 190Ds simultaneously - particularly since they will share an etch sheet and paint colours too, not something I coordinated too well with my '12 Builds of Christmas' project!

• Like 3