Fw190/Ta152 STGB Chat

Marklo

2 hours ago, franky boy said:

Daft question. Is this one on for next year now with the small number of STGB’s on the calendar?

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

Yes I think so, @Enzo the Magnificent can confirm this. 

Short answer.   Yes.

Long answer:  if another three STGBs make it in to the running in the next three days (which is very unlikely) then this STGB will only have a 90% chance of making it through the Bunfight...   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Short answer.   Yes.

Long answer:  if another three STGBs make it in to the running in the next three days (which is very unlikely) then this STGB will only have a 90% chance of making it through the Bunfight...   

....another 3????  How many are in there now including this one, I counted 8.  :confused:

1 hour ago, trickyrich said:

....another 3????  How many are in there now including this one, I counted 8.  :confused:

You are correct.  It's eight.

Foxbat

Leopard

38(t)

B-17

Draken

F-8/A-7

P-47

FW190

10 hours ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Yes.

This makes me happy.  However, it also makes me sad; I now have to choose a kit to build; out of the (too) many that I have, I want to build all of them.  Now, there's always Enzo Maxim to be followed but I'm not sure I have time to get all of those builds into one STGB, especially as it's bound to overlap with one or two others that I fancy building in...  I wonder how 'Er Indoors would react if I gave up my job to spend more time with Enzo?

8 hours ago, trickyrich said:

WOOOOHOOOOOO I'm right for once!!!!!!!!!!! 

Cut yourself some slack here, Tricky; I've known you to be right several times!

• Haha 1

I've made my choice for this one.   Pulled it out of the dark recesses of The Stash a few minutes ago.   It's been there for ten years!

It's the Eduard 1/48 Fw-190A-9.

I've built a few of these and found they are very tricky indeed.   The cowling is the worst part as Eduard attempted to be all things to all people.  You can build it with an open cowling and fully exposed fully detailed engine, in which case the build is relatively straightforward.  If on the other hand you want the cowling closed up, then it's a total nightmare!!!!   So I shall chicken out and use a one piece resin replacement cowling.  :D 

It's a late-war aircraft so there are some nice colourful choices for RV bands. 

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/eduard-8187-fw-190a-9--149921

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Marklo said:

A-9 not actually familiar with that mark , does that mean it was pressured for high altitude operation like the Messerschmitt odd mark numbers ?

From Wiki

“Fw 190 A-9 = First built in September 1944, the Fw 190 A-9was fitted with the new BMW 801S rated at 2,000 PS (1,973 hp; 1,471 kW); the more powerful 2,400 PS (2,400 hp; 1,800 kW) 801F-1 was still under development, and not yet available”

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Marklo said:

A-9 not actually familiar with that mark , does that mean it was pressured for high altitude operation like the Messerschmitt odd mark numbers ?

It was basically an A-8 with a more powerful engine optimised as a bomber killer.  Quite a nasty threat but - as with many of the excellent late-war German aircraft - built in very limited numbers.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/11/2022 at 18:15, Enzo the Magnificent said:

I've made my choice for this one.   Pulled it out of the dark recesses of The Stash a few minutes ago.   It's been there for ten years!

It's the Eduard 1/48 Fw-190A-9.

Looks like things are spiralling out of control.   My preferred marking scheme for the A-9 is for II/JG301 in the final two weeks of the second world war.  It has a nice colourful RV band, a high contrast camouflage scheme and the interesting "unfinished" wing undersurfaces of many late war Luftwaffe aircraft.  The problem is that I have been doing a bit of research into the unit.   It seems that II/JG301 may have been a bit like the ragtag fleet in Battlestar Galactica.  It was cobbled together with whatever survivors could make their way to Langensalza airfield.  As well as the A-9, the unit operated D-9 and Ta-152 aircraft.  Despite a shared heritage, these are three significantly different aircraft with widely differing spares requirements.  Not that the Luftwaffe had any sort of viable supply chain in May 1945...

So my project may very well grow to represent all three types in similar markings. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Despite a shared heritage, these are three significantly different aircraft with widely differing spares requirements.  Not that the Luftwaffe had any sort of viable supply

Well from the firewall to just forward if the tail and (depending on which TA152) the wings not including the armament they would be the same. 

16 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

So my project may very well grow to represent all three types in similar markings. 

You of all people must know where this one is going :) 

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Marklo said:

You of all people must know where this one is going :) 

Yeh...   it's already gone there!  I've had a word with myself...  

I must admit, I didn't take much persuading.  :lol: 

The A-9 is currently sat on The Ledge.  The D-9 is lurking in The Stash and will move to The Ledge in the morning.   The Ta-152 is winging its way towards me from a big yellow H.

• Haha 2

Just now, Marklo said:

Hmm starting to suffer from kit envy, my  D-9 and my Airfix A-8 just won’t cut it, oh well nothing else for it I need to acquire some more FWs :) 

It's a slippy slope...   Just keep away from the rabbit holes. 

• Marklo changed the title to Fw190/Ta152 STGB - all fired up for 2023!!!!

I`d like to join.

I have got the old Eduard A-9 and the newer A-8 Weekend. I will build them both, one all buttoned up, the other with the engine exposed.

• Like 2