IJN Submarine I-19, AFV Club 1/350

This is the very nice AFV Club kit in 1/350. It looks to be a simply build, but the addition of photo etch means taking your time with this will give you a nice result. I managed to get most of the photo etch on and the fit of the parts is very nice. I used some EZ line for the rigging and various chalks and pastels for the weathering.  Now I need to get an I-400 to sit next to her.

YwJ8AAw.jpg

xO09q5A.jpg

IVwCdlp.jpg

• Like 23
  • Thanks 2

Gidday @Brad, that is certainly a nice model, and I agree an I-400 alongside would look good. A question if I may - that tall antenna/mast abaft the gun, would it be lowered when diving? It appears taller than the periscopes from some angles.

I think you've done a very good model of this.       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

Just now, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday @Brad, that is certainly a nice model, and I agree an I-400 alongside would look good. A question if I may - that tall antenna/mast abaft the gun, would it be lowered when diving? It appears taller than the periscopes from some angles.

Thanks Jeff. I would assume they were lowered, but I don't know for sure.

• Thanks 1

On 10/7/2022 at 12:12 PM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

yes they were lowered before diving, as well as the crane, there are recesses for them in the deck.

Cracking job Brad, this is how she looked pre ww2, after pearl harbour they were painted black upper hull and had white landing stripes added across the front and rear deck.

All the best Chris

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, whitestar12chris said:

yes they were lowered before diving, as well as the crane, there are recesses for them in the deck.

Cracking job Brad, this is how she looked pre ww2, after pearl harbour they were painted black upper hull and had white landing stripes added across the front and rear deck.

All the best Chris

I've read several variations on colours. Light grey before the war seems to be a consensus, although reference varies between dark grey for mid war or black. I decided to go with dark grey and wood deck, just because I liked how it looked. I may well have been black, but it's hard to tell from pics.

• Like 1

Very nice result, you've pulled out all the detail really well which really makes it standout 

I've often wondered about afv kits and by the looks of yours they're very good, especially when carefully built and weathered, 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Faraway said:

Lovely looking model. 
What happens to the aircraft when the boat submerges ?

Jon

Jon the bulge infront of the conning tower is a watertight hanger, the plane folds up and is stored inside. One of these boats was responsible for the unsuccessful bombing of America, firebombed forest and it rained.

All the best Chris

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, whitestar12chris said:

the plane folds up and is stored inside.

I’ve seen aircraft have their wings folded, but to fit into that small bulge just about everything must fold. Amazing.

Jon

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Faraway said:

I’ve seen aircraft have their wings folded, but to fit into that small bulge just about everything must fold. Amazing.

Jon

I don't think the Glen's folded, unlike the Siren in the I 400 boats, you had to take the wings, tail and floats off to get the aircraft in the water tight hangar.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Brad said:

I don't think the Glen's folded, unlike the Siren in the I 400 boats, you had to take the wings, tail and floats off to get the aircraft in the water tight hangar.

Brad you are right the Glen had the wings & floats removed, leaving just the fuselage. Wings and floats stored either side of the fuselage.

All the best Chris

• Like 2

Great job Brad and the rigging looks very delicate as well. I built one of these a while ago but mine was in the later black scheme, but yours looks very attractive in the grey colours too,

cheers,

Pappy

• Like 1

• 2 months later...