Classic Airframes 1/48 Meteor F.4 - or at least that's what my brain said I should choose...

gingerbob

• 5 weeks later...

In the last few days I HAVE started whittling away at resin pour stubs... with predictable results.  Nothing damaged beyond economical repair, and I've got a pretty good supply of spares.  I've found a "generalized" subject, too... not to mention chosen a subject for the Tamiya F.3 I inevitably started including in my thought processes...

bob

• 4 weeks later...

Well, our boiler (furnace) had a fatal problem last Thursday- in Maine in December- so any hope of actual model work is out the window until that gets resolved.  We spent the first few days at the home of friends, but last night and this we're roughing it at home (no running water, but can use toilet and "manually" flush, and have a few gallons in jugs to work with.  We've got some space heaters to take a teensy bit of the edge off, and I was actually quite cozy in my sleeping bag UNDER the duvet last night.

This, two days after my wife's first chemo treatment for breast cancer.  Merry Christmas!  I sincerely hope that every single one of you is having a smoother time at present. 

bob

• Sad 5

You’re not having a good time if things are you. Hope your wife’s treatment goes well.

At times like these you have to look to the right things as priorities, that said a little modelling can sometimes help take your mind off the more serious or difficult things.

Hi Bob,

So sorry to hear about your wife; I should have known. Both my mum and sister went through breast cancer treatment and, thank God, both of them pulled through it just fine. Everything with your wife will turn out fine as well, you'll see. Please have faith.

I concur with Marklo above in that a little modelling will help taking your mind off the awful feelings or thoughts crossing your mind at times.

I'm right here if you want to talk with a stranger on the other side of the globe who's experienced those awful feelings and thoughts. 

Warmest regards to your wife, and I'll pray for her if you let me know what her name is.

Hope you're doing okay.

Cheers,

Igna

Thanks all- Diana's prognosis is good- early days, I know, but we met with the surgeon this week and she thinks it'll cooperate.

There's (finally) a plan starting to come together on the boiler (apparently a furnace heats air and a boiler heats water), and a local agency is probably going to pay for it, even!  I hadn't particularly sought out "charity", but I'm not going to argue.  Hopefully it'll be going in this coming week.  Unfortunately the unusually mild weather has taken a break, so I'll have to worry about freezing in the next few days, though I think I'm adequately prepared to prevent it.  [Edit: I received word at the last minute today that the plan was, in fact, a go.]

Our horse has had an eye infection (?) since spring, and the vet has now officially said that he's likely going blind.  Oh, and just in case it does any good, can we put these four medicines in his eyes four times a day?

Yesterday I woke with a slightly sore throat, and a few hours later it was definitely sick- my daughter has just been getting over a cold.  Just in case, I took a home Covid test this morning, and sure enough.

Shortly after that, my "itchy-skin" cat was on my lap, then spun around to get a spot, which made him roll off the side.  Of course I tried to catch/slow him, which led to him hanging by his jaws off of my finger, and a few other scratches where he was trying to (in his panic mind) "defend himself" from me.  Fortunately no deep penetration, but the kleenex was colorful!

So, yeah, month from hell, and yet I find myself thinking, "And this is nothing compared to the plight of so many other people..."

Again, best wishes to the rest of you,

bob

Edited by gingerbob
  • Sad 2

My goodness, Bob, that's a bit of bother, especially at this time of year. My best wishes for the successful conclusion to your wife's chemo - having been through chemo twice myself I know how that can be. As you say, her prognosis is good and I'm really glad to hear that.

My youngest daughter just had to put her dog Winnie down, attributable to many issues. At the end Winnie went both blind and deaf, but at nearly 20 years of age she had a good life. She was half Black Lab and half Pit Bull, and was pretty much insane until a year or so ago. We'll miss the mangy mutt. Maybe the eye drops will do good for your horse - you never know.

Remember not to burn your stash to stay warm - styrene fumes are nasty.   

Happy happy, Joy joy!

Bill

2 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Remember not to burn your stash to stay warm - styrene fumes are nasty.  

Now that would be an interesting dilemma for the mrs.  She'd probably be happy to see some of the stash "reduced", but she would most definitely complain about the smell.

• Like 1

Well, they worked all day Thursday, and had to come back Friday to fix a leaking elbow.  One guy worked most of the day Friday, replacing more things, etc.  Good news: we have heat/hot water again.  Bad news: When I woke up in the wee hours I found that the "brain" had shut down the boiler.  Fortunately I knew (or figured out) how to reset it, and it has been firing up since.  Also, the upstairs (one thermostat) splits into two loops that come back together at the end, and one of those loops isn't yet flowing.  I presume an air lock, which I'll try to chase a bit more later today.

Just after he left, my daughter and I squeezed in a very quick mission to get a Christmas tree, before the two-plus days of yuck in the forecast (it was already kind of drizzling, but not too bad).  Got it in place and rushed off to the barn for afternoon chores where we got a bunch of aggro for being late (they didn't get the message my wife did in fact send until they went back to the house).  Sheesh.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Ah well, the oncoming train at the end of the tunnel is about to make contact, so I'll take a moment...

Thanks all for a very entertaining Group Build.  I'm sorry I maintained my usual performance level- see you for Meteor STGB Mark 3!  On the plus side, I learned a few more things about Meteors, and had a lot of fun studying up on squadron use, which, typically, sprawled out into "postwar British jet fighters" AND caused an unanticipated interest in RAF (and other) Sabres, etc etc.

And catching up with the other stuff:

• Diana's suffering through chemo but the results thereof are looking very promising indeed.
  • We managed to have Christmas after all.
  • They came back one more time, and since then the furnace (err, boiler) has been very faithful.  I also got the upstairs balance sorted.  One little tweak needed at some point (the hot water gets too 'not hot' before it kicks on) but good enough for now.
  • Koda's (the horse's) eyes are holding in there- the right one is definitely compromised, but they don't seem to be causing him pain, which was a concern of the vet.  He's as sweet as ever, and seems to be coping OK, so that's a lot better than the dark implications. Still medicating daily, but he's become very accepting- amazing what knowing there's a treat involved will do!
  • Speaking of treats, I've added significantly to my backlog of models to imagine building mess with, though no more Meteors (yet)- which is OK, because I've got a healthy supply.

Happy new year, and fruitful modelling!

bob

• Like 5

On 1/27/2023 at 4:16 PM, gingerbob said:

Ah well, the oncoming train at the end of the tunnel is about to make contact, so I'll take a moment...

All the very best Bob for you and your wife (and horse). Like Bill (Navy Bird) I have also been through chemo (for lymphoma) and, it's no fun at all, I feel for her. But if the prognosis is good then it suddenly becomes a whole load more bearable and worth it in the end!

See you on the next  build!

ATB
Rick

Edited by Spad
Typo
  • Like 1