IFF antenna on Malta Spit?

Seawinder

I'm finishing up the Airfix Mk. V trop and using the kit markings for "Buck" McNair's plane, Operation "Spotter," Malta early 1942. Can anybody tell me if it's likely the plane had the stabilizer-to-fuselage IFF wires installed?

Thanks! Pip

You wouldn't be alone in adding them :)

A guy I know did his with the wires.

https://thescalemodelhangar.com/2018/04/24/spitfire-mk-vb-tropical-malta-defender/

Also has a pic (grainy, unfortunately) of AB264 3/4 front view while on Malta, but the detail is too coarse to distinguish.

They would be there. Without IFF there is no way to tell if a radar contact approaching Malta is the enemy or some of your own aircraft returning. If that was the case they would have to scramble to meet every contact on the radar, which is a waste of effort and in particular fuel which they were very short of.

Unless the light is at the correct angle we know the wires are almost impossible to see. They were eventually replaced by a short aerial under the wing but that was only from April 1943 (long after this period) and it took months to do the change over.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

june 43 appear the new IFFs with antenna mast under the wing, but the old IFFs with cheese cutter antenna remain in place on the a/c already fitted. so after this date we can see the both type.

Malta spitfire was a specific case
an lettre dated 18th june 43 from Air Headquarters, Malta.
to
R.A.F Station LUQA
R.A.F Station HAL FAR
R.A.F Station TA KALI
R.A.F Station KRENDI
R.A.F Station SAFI

Maintenance wing Malta

Spitfire aircrafts - removal of I.F.F. Gear.
Certain Spitfire aircdraft have had the I.F.F. removed in accordance with Spitfire Local Modification No.4. This modification when embodied, called for the removal of inertial balance weight introduced by modification Spitfire/370.

2. Recent Mediterranean Air Command Instructions ordered the replacement of IFF gear in these Spitfire aircraft....

for these reasons the  cheese cutter aerial was not always visible on the pics of Malta Spitfire.

Spitfire Vc BP989 N-4 Wally McLeod RCAF 603 squadron Takali 9 July 1942...  I included IFF antenna cables made with Uschi extra fine thread

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1

I also included it on my 'Buck' McNair Vb. While there is no photo evidence of it on that airframe, there is plenty of photos that show it on other contemporary Malta aircraft.

GNH 13

• Like 2

On 06/10/2022 at 21:21, Seawinder said:

I'm finishing up the Airfix Mk. V trop and using the kit markings for "Buck" McNair's plane, Operation "Spotter," Malta early 1942. Can anybody tell me if it's likely the plane had the stabilizer-to-fuselage IFF wires installed?

Thanks! Pip

No IFF wire for me.

Alain

The IFF aerial was a vital fit for the gruund control.  As there is an instruction for Malta to remove it in 1943, the obvious conclusion is that it was present before then - as shown in the photographs.  However, in small scales adding it is a pain.