Airfix 1/24 Spitfire Mk.IXc in AMW today

The Mandalorian

Hi folks.

Just a brief courtesy note to draw your attention to two items (both decals) in my build review that require correction if you opt for the French markings. 

My test shot came with a draft decal placement guide, not the final 'production' version. The starboard view of the French scheme included a red decal placement arrow over the place where I ultimately put the 'Muscat' item. No decal was shown on my guide beneath the arrow, which raised the question in my mind 'does something go here or not'?

As the decals are grouped on the sheet in sections appropriate to each marking option I found had 'Muscat' left over in the 'French' section, which suggested it did indeed go beside the starboard cockpit side. 'Muscat' also appears in the French language in relation to a popular desert wine so... 

I requested clarity from my two contacts at Airfix but regrettably in the absence of the same I was required to make a decision in order to meet the deadline for closing off the project.  I now know 'after the fact' that 'Muscat' is appropriate to another kit option - as I say just a courtesy note for clarity.

The other item (wholly down to me) is the little red warning stencil on the cockpit door - I have it at the top of the open door - it should be at the bottom. Old age is a terrible thing...

Wish you all well with yours and look forward to seeing your results!

Cheers

Steve   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

Thanks for that, sadly still waiting for my subscription copy of AMW to arrive. Post already been this morning, so definitely not coming today. Of late, it has been arriving up to a week after the on street sale date!😟 Looking forward to the build article though😀

• Like 1

Hi

muscat belongs to 5J-K of 126 Sqn, S/L Plagis 

tbe decal should be english and arabic 

see attached link 

https://warthunder.com/en/news/2943--en

https://alchetron.com/John-Plagis

hopefully a great kit, on my wish list when i get spare cash 

cheers

jerry 

Edited by brewerjerry
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, brewerjerry said:

Hi

muscat belongs to 5J-K of 126 Sqn, S/L Plagis 

tbe decal should be english and arabic 

see attached link 

https://warthunder.com/en/news/2943--en

https://alchetron.com/John-Plagis

hopefully a great kit, on my wish list when i get spare cash 

cheers

jerry 

Yes indeed Jerry - I realised 'after the fact' that it was a post WWII addition on the port side of 5J-K. 

Thanks for the additional clarity, it's much appreciated.

Very much hoping that you successfully accrue the required beer vouchers for one - there's a ton of top drawer modelling in the box.

TTFN

Steve 

Edited by The Mandalorian

According to the research of fündekals in their 2014 decal (no longer on their web page), the Spitfire flown by Plagis did not carry the ‘Muscat’ name during the period when Plagis was flying it operationally.  Their research shows that the name was applied only in December 1944 for publicity photographs, by which time Plagis was flying a different Spitfire.  ML214 was by then non-operational.  It would appear that Airfix utilized the fündekals research (perhaps in part?) because this is the only place I have seen ML214 depicted with narrow ‘invasion stripes’.  Perhaps someone knows of another source of this information?

Best wishes!

Edited by Lusitanian
  • Like 1

I just picked up a copy of AMW and enjoyed reading your build of the big Spit. Very nice it is too.

Some  handy tips as well which will come in useful when inevitably I  get  my hands on one.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, noelh said:

I just picked up a copy of AMW and enjoyed reading your build of the big Spit. Very nice it is too.

Some  handy tips as well which will come in useful when inevitably I  get  my hands on one.

Cheers Noel.

I'm used to reviewing through a standard 8 page, 2,400 word allocation but for this beauty I could cover the ground in more detail with 18 pages - a pleasure to compile and a pleasure to build...quickly (for me anyway)...😄 

TTFN

Steve  

• Like 3

On 10/6/2022 at 9:57 PM, brewerjerry said:

Hi

so this must have been right at the end of the 126Sq spitfire era, as 126Sq converted to mustangs in dec 44 

cheers

jerry

That is what fündekals state in their instructions.