Hobbycraft GRB-36 Peacemaker and RF-84 Ficon 1/144th

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share with you some pictures of my 1/144th Hobbycraft GRB-36 Peacemaker with its RF-84 Ficon. Both are built OOB, and finish with Alclad II metals in varying shades and colour's to give the NMF. The kit also includes a little XF-85 Goblin and trailer as a bonus. To this I made a thinner vac canopy and posed it open. ( 'Gene' is added to show how big the aircraft were ) I really enjoyed the build and watched Strategic Air Command several times as 'research' to try and replicate the finish of the B-36. Also recommended is 'Magnesium Overcast' The story of the Convair B-36 by Dennis. R. Jenkins. 

Hope you like, comments, suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

spacer.png

spacer.png I

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by Samuraiwarrior
Typo error
  • Like 65

Congratulations! This is an excellent result. I have recently purchased the Roden B-36D, and hope that I can make it will look as good as yours when I get to it. Incidentally, I also bought a 1/144 B-58 with the intention of building them side by side. I can already see that the size discrepancy will be the main topic of conversation when I get to it...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Dave Klaatu said:

I have the three craft, in 1/72- HAVE to get around and build them!

I built mine in 1981 - using the newly-released Monogram B-36 and Italeri RF-84 - I made a workable trapeze using a telescopic mast from a transistor radio aerial...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full build article - complete with drawings - is here:- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_ficon.htm

Great build in 1/144 scale Samuiraiwarrior :thumbsup::worthy:

Ken

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Flankerman said:

I built mine in 1981 - using the newly-released Monogram B-36 and Italeri RF-84 - I made a workable trapeze using a telescopic mast from a transistor radio aerial...

spacer.png

spacer.png

Full build article - complete with drawings - is here:- http://www.flankers-site.co.uk/modl_ficon.htm

Great build in 1/144 scale Samuiraiwarrior :thumbsup::worthy:

Ken

Very cool- thanks!

• Thanks 1

On 05/10/2022 at 20:11, Samuraiwarrior said:

Hi everyone,

Thought I'd share with you some pictures of my 1/144th Hobbycraft GRB-36 Peacemaker with its RF-84 Ficon. Both are built OOB, and finish with Alclad II metals in varying shades and colour's to give the NMF. The kit also includes a little XF-85 Goblin and trailer as a bonus. To this I made a thinner vac canopy and posed it open. ( 'Gene' is added to show how big the aircraft were ) I really enjoyed the build and watched Strategic Air Command several times as 'research' to try and replicate the finish of the B-36. Also recommended is 'Magnesium Overcast' The story of the Convair B-36 by Dennis. R. Jenkins. 

Hope you like, comments, suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Kevin

spacer.png

spacer.png I

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Well done.

Alain

• Thanks 1

Outstanding work! Nice touch to include Gene for some scale awareness.

I just finished reading "To fly and Flight", Bud Anderson's biography (excellent book by the way) in which he explained the ficon project he participated in. 

Regards, Richard

• Thanks 1

Very well finished.

When I was much younger I remember seeing the original Monogram (?) 1/72nd scale version of the B-36 in my local model shop but whenever I asked about buying it was given a very firm and non-negotiable response of "NO" by my mother...!

On 10/6/2022 at 3:28 AM, Dave Klaatu said:

I have the three craft, in 1/72- HAVE to get around and build them!

That would be after you have acquired a small hangar to display them in ? :)

• Thanks 1

Super build and finish (and presentation…). The Goblin and Gene really bring out the size of the thing.

I think even in 1/144th scale it’s still outside the limits of the Acceptable Modelling Clutter Treaty that applies to my home!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 08/10/2022 at 11:28, AdrianMF said:

Super build and finish (and presentation…). The Goblin and Gene really bring out the size of the thing.

I think even in 1/144th scale it’s still outside the limits of the Acceptable Modelling Clutter Treaty that applies to my home!

Regards,

Adrian

Same here. Accommodating 3 models of other strategic bombers in that scale still took a lot of space and mathematics.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

That’s a lovely model Kevin - well done. It’s nice to see such an unusual subject, I’d say that would a good case for displaying the model of a mirror so the RF84 can be more easily seen, but your base looks good too. Great to have a good idea of the size of it with figures - makes you realise how big it is! SAC is a good film! I hope you’ve got somewhere big enough to display it!.

Cheers, Andy

• Thanks 1