Sherman Superthread (now including Ram too)

Kingsman

While on the topic of M4 Composites, what were the main differences between an early/mid (e.g. Asuka China Clipper) and a late (e.g. Asuka Last Chance)?  Return roller arm (straight vs curved up) is one...low bustle on China Clipper, high on Last Chance, both 75..  

21 minutes ago, Kingsman said:

Composites seem to be a mixed bag with guards. There are photos of Bury which should show whether or not it had them. As a general rule no loaders hatch = no guards. With the loaders hatch, probably guards.

Ah, that may settle it then. The turret provided in the China Clipper box doesn’t have a loaders hatch, and the looking at the photos of “Bury” above I don’t see the periscope guards, so think I’m going to keep them in my spares box. 

If you enlarge the Bury photo you can see an unguarded driver's periscope on the hatch and no sight guard or periscope guard on the turret.  So no guards. 

I can't see any sign of a loader's hatch on Bury: the hinge and balance springs would be visible even if closed in the photo angle.  It is also a low bustle turret and low bustle turrets with loaders hatches are very rare in any case and not known to be used on Composites.

• Like 1

Nice to have my intended course of action confirmed 🙂 

Soooo, it looks like I have succumbed to the lure of Shermans. I’m already considering my next project. I’m thinking a British desert Sherman. I can see the Dragon El Alamein going for a reasonable price from an online store here in Australia - but I’m rather put off by the amount of brass. I think I can get my hands on an Asuka Sherman III (both direct vision and otherwise). Any views of the relative merits of the Dragon (which I assume is a Sherman II) vs the Asuka kits? 

I've not built the Dragon El Alamein Sherman, so I can't verify what the etch is like in that kit, but, the etched brass sheet that Dragon included with some of their Shermans was extremely flimsy to say the least. You're better off getting your hands on an Eduard or Aber set, or if they produce one for that variant, one from ET Models.

John.

I find myself using little of what comes on etch frets.  For light guards and tool straps I would go for the MJ Productions 3D printed versions rather than etch. The light guard set includes the tow cable clamps missing from most kits and the stowage plug tubes for the front light guards.  You get 4 tanks' worth in a set. The tool straps have enough for many thanks. MJ does a hull detail set too, including light guards and tool straps and some other parts you might get on a fret. But in the UK it's about £20 a set.

Sherman rear lights.  And indeed pretty much any other US WW2 vehicle.  Something kit manufacturers don't get right.  Some older kits even have raised lumps rather than recesses...........

These are the standard rear lights, left and right.  Seen here on an M3 Stuart if only because these are the best pics I have.  Note that they are different.  Most (all?) kit manufacturers just give you 2 oval recesses.

spacer.png  spacer.png

The other common kit goof is mounting the lights.  On Shermans they were mounted only by the cable trunk at the rear and did not otherwise touch the hull.  Seen here on an M4A1, but they didn't touch on fabricated hulls either.  Some kits do this while others still have big pegs under the lights fitting into slots in the hull top.  TMD do replacements, but not for much longer.  The Shapeways ones are OK.

spacer.png

While we're talking lights, something missing from (AFAIK) every kit is the tubes on the inside of the front light guards to stow the plugs used to stopper the front light mountings when removed.  They are quite noticeable.  The lights could be stowed inside.  Why? Not a clue........  With the lights in place the plugs live in the tubes.  There was a similar plug and chain for the turret spotlight mounting, but oddly nowhere to stow it.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Interesting. Great view of the lights. I was wondering what those little tube like things on the side of the light guards where. They were in both my RFM Firefly kit and my current Asuka composite (just visible in this image)

p?i=b5ea1bdf3404ba715d307dffd1e69116

I’ll need to take a closer look, but I think the rear lights are different for each side as you have indicated. But yes, they have that simplified peg approach. 

• Like 2

Do Asuka give you the 2 little bumps found on the glacis centreline on Composites?  Can't see them in the picture.  The top one is the drain hole from the U vent and the lower one (asterisk) is something to do with manufacture but has no service purpose.  Picture from Minutia.  These are a frontal identifier for Composite vs A1.

spacer.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kingsman said:

Do Asuka give you the 2 little bumps found on the glacis centreline on Composites?  Can't see them in the picture.  The top one is the drain hole from the U vent and the lower one (asterisk) is something to do with manufacture but has no service purpose.  Picture from Minutia.  These are a frontal identifier for Composite vs A1.

spacer.png

Nope, they don’t. Hmm, will need to add them in. Bit of scrap plastic should do it. And I can confirm that the rear lights on the Asuka kit are as your examples photographed above.

This photo came up on Facebook.  Sherman V.  Censor has scratched out beret badge and shoulder titles.  Not sure I've seen Panther track used as turret applique before.  Interesting scruffiness too.  Can't work out what the blotches on the hull side are.  Looks like something was attached, and are not unlike the DD screen frame attachments.  But the characteristic "hull bottom" weld line along the lower sponson edge isn't there - and that required the removal of the sandshield strips anyway.

spacer.png

Edited by Kingsman
missing photo
  • Confused 1

I think the idea of putting alternative applique tracks onto a Sherman would make for a very cool model.

Sherman with Churchill tracks (also with dummy muzzle brake):

Screenshot (158)

Firefly with Panzer IV tracks on turret?:

Screenshot (163)

Polish Sherman with Panther tracks on turret?:

7b412d208837ee045cd382867da9be608fcc985f_2_690x461

Sherman with Tiger tracks:

nrdtvfgsurd41

• Like 2

Currently building the RFM 1/35 Firefly VC.  On page 7, it says to make cuts to parts E33 and E34 if using Y35 (see page 15).  I'm building a 2nd Irish Regt. Guards vehicle crossing the Waal in Market Garden, so no sand shields.  So I assume I make the cuts...

spacer.png

spacer.png

I don’t know if that’s correct - but it’s what I did for my build (I asked the same question during my build, but in the end ploughed on ahead as I couldn’t see any other way to do it) - build thread here: 

• Thanks 1

I'm not convinced that RFM are correct with their cut line.  I think that for no sand shields the entire downward-angled projection should be cut off along the upward angled step on E33/34 (above the little hole) and the plate overlap at that step removed too. They've used the Bovington example as a muse, which still has the rear plate of the sandshields attached.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Kingsman said:

I'm not convinced that RFM are correct with their cut line.  I think that for no sand shields the entire downward-angled projection should be cut off along the upward angled step on E33/34 (above the little hole) and the plate overlap at that step removed too. They've used the Bovington example as a muse, which still has the rear plate of the sandshields attached.

Thanks Peter.  I haven't made the cuts yet.  Any possibility of photos?

@Kingsman  Perhaps this one.  I think you are correct Peter. I don't have the part with me to orientate, but it looks like that whole pointy section (looking from the outside, up to the diagonal overlap past the hole) is removed.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And these:

spacer.png

spacer.png

http://www.primeportal.net/tanks/robert_de_craecker/m4a4_sherman_vc_17pdr/

Yes that's exactly it. That's what I would regard as the norm for no sand shields on any M4 variant. A straight diagonal from the hull corner to the top of the idler mount.

Noting that this tank has been fitted for wading at some point. The vertical plates inboard of the tow spring brackets are mountings for the trunk. I have a diagram somewhere showing the various rear end wading bits that I did for a thread over on Missing Lynx. I will look it out.

Edited by Kingsman
addition
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Kingsman said:

This photo came up on Facebook.  Sherman V.  Censor has scratched out beret badge and shoulder titles.  Not sure I've seen Panther track used as turret applique before.  Interesting scruffiness too.  Can't work out what the blotches on the hull side are.  Looks like something was attached, and are not unlike the DD screen frame attachments.  But the characteristic "hull bottom" weld line along the lower sponson edge isn't there - and that required the removal of the sandshield strips anyway.

spacer.png

Could the blotches be where applique armour tracks were attached in some way?

23 hours ago, Kingsman said:

spacer.png

I saw this picture too and confused me. Could it be spot welds from where track armour was attached?

12 hours ago, Peter Browne said:

Currently building the RFM 1/35 Firefly VC.  On page 7, it says to make cuts to parts E33 and E34 if using Y35 (see page 15).  I'm building a 2nd Irish Regt. Guards vehicle crossing the Waal in Market Garden, so no sand shields.  So I assume I make the cuts...

spacer.png

spacer.png

6 hours ago, Kingsman said:

Yes that's exactly it. That's what I would regard as the norm for no sand shields on any M4 variant. A straight diagonal from the hull corner to the top of the idler mount.

Noting that this tank has been fitted for wading at some point. The vertical plates inboard of the tow spring brackets are mountings for the trunk. I have a diagram somewhere showing the various rear end wading bits that I did for a thread over on Missing Lynx. I will look it out.

I was having the same dilemma on my build ( link  HERE ) and found a couple of period photos that may help.

fKY27jTh.jpg

On the above photo the plate seems to be as RFM suggest...

fw6as8xh.jpg

and on this one of a VC on the back of a Dragon Wagon, although I cant tell if the left one has been cut or is just bent.

Wayne

• Thanks 1