Sd.Kfz.164 Hornise - (Nashorn Early Version) Dragon 6165

Afternoon all.

Well it's been some time since I was on the forum due to my bench being dismantled and closed down for house renovations, so did absolutely no modelling it seems since way back in June. Now everything is back in place, I'm getting back into it. I did have a plan to start the Takom full interior Jagdpanther G2, with all the bells and trimmings from barrel by Aber and PE by Voyager......but, I just couldn't face the multi phased construction with painting in the required stages as the build progressed......so after a dig I came up with this one. The Dragon kit from 2002 of the early version Nashorn. I quite like open top pieces as the opportunity for PE upgrading and up-detailing is wide.

XbYMIVi.jpg

Sd.Kfz.164 Hornisse (Nashorn, Early Variant) Dragon No. 6165

I have the following Eduard PE set's to go with it, so it'll be a long build, but I'm OK with that.

Eduard No.35618 Hornisse - Kisten und Bodenplatte #1

Eduard No.35606 Sd.Kfz.164 Hornisse (Nashorn) - Interior/Exterior Update set.

ABER 35L-128, BARREL for GERMAN SPG NASHORN - fo DRAGON MODEL, 1:35

I also have dug up an Eduard set from the bottom of the stash that is actually for Shanghai Dragons very early Hornisse from 1992. I can't imagine the parts can't be fitted to their newer version. I won't be getting the 1992 version, so chance to use up a large part of the set here and there to back up the 35606 set.

Another new thing on this build will be the first time in soldering the PE where required. Invested in a super fine blow torch with soldering tips etc, and liquid flux. Just now have to get a soldering mat and I'm ready to go.

Well, off to make a cuppa and sit down to study instructions and make some notes...have a good day all and chat soon.

Regards

Simon.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, Redcoat2966 said:

Another new thing on this build will be the first time in soldering the PE where required. Invested in a super fine blow torch with soldering tips etc, and liquid flux. Just now have to get a soldering mat and I'm ready to go.

Good to see you back Simon, and now armed with a super fine blow torch of all things, this will be interesting to follow.  :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Hi Simon. I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to. You and Wayne @diablo rsv have been MIA for quite some time now. Nice to see you back again. And I would be very interested to gear how you get on with the flame thrower.

John.

• Like 1

Welcome back Simon, always a pleasure to see your work.👍

I did recently drag out Dragon's original Nashorn from the stash and I'll let you know how dated it is. Looks like there will plenty of upgrades needed.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Retired Bob said:

Good to see you back Simon, and now armed with a super fine blow torch of all things, this will be interesting to follow.  :winkgrin:

19 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

HI Simon, 

welcome back, it seems that it is going to be a very complex project, and that of the soldering for PEs... it is very interesting... Looking forward to seeing how it progresses...

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

18 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Hi Simon. I was beginning to wonder where you'd got to. You and Wayne @diablo rsv have been MIA for quite some time now. Nice to see you back again. And I would be very interested to gear how you get on with the flame thrower.

John.

17 hours ago, Stef N. said:

Welcome back Simon, always a pleasure to see your work.👍

I did recently drag out Dragon's original Nashorn from the stash and I'll let you know how dated it is. Looks like there will plenty of upgrades needed.

Hi Stef, thanks mate ......and yeah, the original Shanghai version didn't get many gold stars for accuracy etc. I've read it was their first German AFV model, 

17 hours ago, Patrykd said:

I made initial version earlier. You can easy find my ending gallery. I will be watch your progress.

Hi Patrykd, and yes; I've been taking a look at your build. Looks like the Nashorn Dragon 6166, as it has the arched strengthening bar for the gun shield. I have that one also in the stash, but your build gives me many pointers on some details.

14 hours ago, edjbartos said:

Nice to see you back Simon, looking forward to seeing you build this one...

Ed

12 hours ago, Maddoxx77 said:

Welcome back! Good to see you. 

Regarding the kit...... i'll grab a chair and some snacks because this is going to be a good one! 👍😁

Thanks Gents all round for the welcome back........taking some time to get back into it after such a long time shut down. I'll post as much as I can on progress, but t present just working through the lower chassis and wheels.

Cheers all.....:yes:

• Like 7

Nice to see you back and with what to me looks like a very involved project, defiantly looking forward to watching progress.

Stay safe            Roger 

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Afternoon everyone, and I'm so, so sorry for long delay in posting progress on this Hornisse. Time has been tight, with many interruptions, so ploughed all the spare time into working on the build and just take pics when I could.....so sorry for the low quality.

So, where do I start. It's been an interesting build. Nice kit as always from Dragon. I mixed some multiple photoetch set's. One for a Shanghai Dragon version (their first), along with some specific to this kit as regards foot plate and interior and exterior detail.

If you do decide to build this version by Dragon you're going to have to do this......... for some reason they didn't put a positive catch/connection for the top plate and the slopping front armour the marry together.....if you don't there's no way of gluing them inline with each other.

W3SiMs4.jpg

Additionally, make sure you widen the weld lines on the lower section of the front plate..

I9SuNRC.jpg

so the weld lines as in the actual vehicle can be done along with others no represented on the kit.

SNL39Vk.jpg

Here's some interior shots of additional detail and the PE.....

S8wePKm.jpg

hPMbgMA.jpg

HRHjjJe.jpg

The gun itself is an impressive effort by Dragon, really well done. I did buy the Aber barrel for this Hornisse/Nashorn, but discovered the kit one was perfectly fine with some slight sanding.

o7QkBgJ.jpg

One last shot of the interior. As you can see in the background, I'm working on the ammo boxes. I'll try and get some shots of where I stand later this week.

aXvzuGD.jpg

One last shot showing the welded upper armour and exhaust details.

jAQCFGl.jpg

Anyway, that's it for now.....see you all soon....:yes:

• Like 22

Completely agree with the others!

One small thing - the breech is a massive piece, but in your model, there is a strange empty space inside the breech body behind the breech block.

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/nashorn-walk/#bwg113/7375

Here are Nashorn walkaround photos: https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/nashorn-walk/

Vytautas

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

Completely agree with the others!

One small thing - the breech is a massive piece, but in your model, there is a strange empty space inside the breech body behind the breech block.

https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/nashorn-walk/#bwg113/7375

Here are Nashorn walkaround photos: https://www.net-maquettes.com/pictures/nashorn-walk/

Vytautas

Hi Vytautas

Thanks for that, and yes I see what you mean. I looked at the instructions and I don't see a part to fill that.....strange. Maybe I'lll have to fill and sand to get rid of it. I'll look in the parts bag that's left over, maybe there's something they omitted from the instructions also.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Great detailing work you've done on this kit. 

Let me jump in on the breech block, I filled it solid when I did mine. Also, the gun travelling lock is always a problem. The way Dragon designed it, it looks like it should be left on the floor. However, extra ammo often was carried on the floor and one wouldn't want this thing on the floor. It appears that the lock can be leaned forward against the bulkhead under the gun, while the lock with a hand wheel can be folded sideways. 

• Thanks 1