Gloster Meteor F8 Força Aérea Brasileira

81-er

Here we go then, the first of two builds I’m planning for this GB. My second build of a Brazilian aircraft, but I had the kit and decals for this long before I bought the F-5. Although I’m building an F8, I could get the FR9 kit cheaper, so that’ll be my base. Except once I had the kit here, the look of the FR9 grew on me, so I had to get another to build as an FR9 which is in another thread. Whoops. Anyway, one box top of an Airfix 1/48 FR9 kit:

4lgPtPD.jpg

Sprues, which have only received some minor fondling and no parts have yet been removed from them:

9Wd0Dk5.jpg

A selection of aftermarket goodies will come into play to varying degrees during the course of this build, with bits not used here potentially being used for my other build. A special word of thanks has to go out to @Celestialsphere for kindly sending me the Red Roo ADF fairing needed for this build:

1ACFNqV.jpg

I’m going for the SEA camo version using FCM decals:

fn17Hc9.jpg

The decals themselves look very nice indeed. Sadly, a couple of the code letters at the bottom have some scuff damage, but I don’t need those for this build. Also included are vinyl masks for the colourful edges on some of the versions, which may lead to another Brazilian build one day:

b92IrFw.jpg

Expect a start at some point either after I’ve cleared the decks of the current projects, or when I get impatient.

James

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

Nice choice James

Its always good to see a meatbox in foreign markings. 

I built this kit in 2019 and found the fit of the nose parts to be pretty bad. I don’t think it was me so maybe just something to be look out for. 

Look forward to some progress shots. 

James

• Like 1

16 hours ago, franky boy said:

Nice choice James

Its always good to see a meatbox in foreign markings. 

I built this kit in 2019 and found the fit of the nose parts to be pretty bad. I don’t think it was me so maybe just something to be look out for. 

Look forward to some progress shots. 

James

Thanks James. I've seen a few mentions of nose issues on these now, so I'll be on the watch for them.

7 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome and I do like the camouflaged version. I want to do a few Brazilian Air Force aircraft including the P-40, P-47, Meteor, and A-4. 

2 hours ago, CliffB said:

A great choice James.  I've always had a soft spot for South American schemes :coolio:

Thanks gents. There's plenty of things Brazil seems to improve; camouflage schemes, food, bikinis, heavy metal, things that may get me banned if I mention them :whistle:

James

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

A start has finally been made on this. The main cockpit components have been removed from the sprues, and given some primer as there was still some in the airbrush after priming some bits on my P-38:

2QDnb8d.jpg

Next up is going to be working out what of the PE I’ll be using.

James

• Like 10

Thanks gents :) I'm contemplating having a go at zenithal highlighting with the cockpit to let some of the detail show up a bit more. I've got nothing to lose, if it doesn't work I'll just paint it all black again (cue the Rolling Stones...)

James

On 11/7/2022 at 9:31 AM, 81-er said:

I've got nothing to lose, if it doesn't work I'll just paint it all black again (cue the Rolling Stones...)

‘I see a meet-eyore and I want to paint it black’ that works….

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

I've not forgotten this, I'm just being strategic with my timing. Assuming everything goes somewhat to plan, the current thinking is to be moving at some point in the first two weeks of December, which is also conveniently smack bang when the P-38 GB is due to end. So, my plan is to put the Meteor’s on hold until after the move as they’re both relatively unstarted and containable within the original boxes, and to prioritise the P-38’s to get them (hopefully) finished before the move. That should give me a month solid on the Meteor’s on the other side. In theory…

James

• Like 1

Cheers Craig. We got the last hurdle out of the way earlier, so discussions on completion dates have commenced. Hoping for somewhere in the first two weeks of December, so I really do need to get moving on the P-38's now!

James

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Well, it’s been a while since I updated this one! Since I last updated I’ve sold my house, but thanks to the conveyancers not getting themselves in gear my onward purchase hasn’t proceed yet, meaning I’m spending a few weeks with my parents. I’ve got a work area set up now, of sorts, so I’m changing tack slightly and building this OOB save for a CMK bang seat and the Eduard resin wheels now. I’ll save the rest of the aftermarket goodies for a future build.

As mentioned on the Israeli build, I painted the cockpits in Mr Hobby H301, FS 36081 Grey, as by the time it’s assembled, washed with a dark wash, and installed in a cockpit, that looks pretty black. The bang seats will be black, which should help them stand out against the ‘pit a bit more. Partway through detail painting, I had this:

wrWcvzS.jpg

Which quickly turned into these:

aVxekqy.jpg

You might spot I’ve added some styrene strips to hint at the rudder pedals.

No weathering pigments on this one, just a Nuln Oil wash:

7ZMytev.jpg

pNsfWqN.jpg

The IP decals are currently settling in under a nice coat of deal softener:

dBiZRGW.jpg

Wing and landing gear bay parts have all had a coat of AK Xtreme Metal aluminium and are ready to be assembled. I painted these first as it was a massive pain trying to get paint into the crevices on the other build:

4IaZjiw.jpg

Expect more soon, though I’ll be taking a short hiatus to build some TIE Fighters for the Blitzenbuild

James

• Like 7