Decent respirator

Chaotic Mike

Hello all, I have just started using an organic solvent based primer through my airbrush, and whilst it leaves the shed smelling absolutely divine, I would put money on it not being great for my lungs and brain. 

What to you all use/wear to keep fume inhalation to a minimum? 

Mike, high as a kite somewhere in Hampshire 

• Like 1

3M 4251 has particle and carbon filters. Not cheap around £20 but if kept in an airtight container mine past around 13 months. I bought a Tupperware box around £8. As I have COPD and lost a lung to cancer I am very particular about my health and these masks tick all the boxes.

• Like 1

Here is what I use. It is not a recommendation but may steer you to do your own research and speak to suppliers. I spray lacquer solvents predominantly. 

Honeywell 6100V Series Mask

Gas Mask

With ABEK1 + HF + Formaldehyde Filters.

Gas Mask Filters

Also I always spray in a very well ventilated area. I try to run the lowest pressure you can get away with to limit bounce-back and overspray. And I also wear glasses. I keep spare filters and replace as needed as they also capture a lot of particulate matter which tends to effect filter life more than anything.  One reason why, irrespective of what you are spraying. masks are a must. 

Ray

I went with the 3M7502 with 6051 filters.

Works a treat, no smell at all from any paint I use (Lacquer through to enamel's etc).

Nice and lightweight too.

Not cheap (£60 two years ago) but should last for years and the filters are readily available.

Rick.

Hello Mike,

Another one worth considering is the 3M 6502QL mask - with 3M 6051 filters. It comes out well in reviews and I've found it very comfortable and effective. 

I paid about 25 quid for the mask on Amazon. 

Ian

I went for the 7502 mask, and 6051 A1 filters, £35 from evilBay. It took me a little while to work out how to fit and adjust the head and neck straps, And how to orient the filters. The instructions could do with a re-write from the WNW team! 

• Like 1