Comets, Comets, Comets - Airfix DH-88 x 3

I thought it might be fun to do one of the DH-88 Comets from the 1934 MacRobertson Air Race, but then I thought, why not do all three?

spacer.png

Three Airfix kits later (two the classic red G-ACSS and one the green G-ACSR) and one set of decals for the Black Magic G-ACSP and I'll be off to the races as soon as a couple of other GBs make some headway.

spacer.png

Just posting a marker for now, but I should be able to get some basic construction underway soon.

Edited by drdjp11
  • Like 18

41 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Welcome along the Black and Green are my favorites. Looking forward to seeing how these progress. Too bad Ive never seen one this side of the pond. 

I got to see G-ACSS at Shuttleworth a few years ago...

Too bad I was going for dramatic shots and not modelling detail.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

They are Beautifully sleek aircraft, I wonder what its like to fly in one ? 

Cramped and uncomfortable probably :fool:

AW

• Like 3

The Dh88 is a lovely looking aircraft, as are all Dh aircraft to be fair, so seeing these three take shape will be worth a watch :speak_cool:

• Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 11:17 PM, CliffB said:

A great idea to build the full set :thumbsup:.  Those Airfix kits are hard work though!

No kidding. That's 1957 tooling for you...

Some examples:

One piece wing, ejector pin marks in the middle of the lower surface:

spacer.png

Two lovely nacelles to build (with no locating pins, for good measure):

spacer.png

Just a little bit of cleanup around the edges:

spacer.png

And, of course, the most fantastic cockpit detail ever! (Maybe I should get the Edouard PE set?)

spacer.png

Edited by drdjp11
  • Like 6
  • Haha 6

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooooooo will follow with interest as have the Heritage kit in the stash.  Great start, are you opening up the cockpit on one ?

Chris

Well, as I progress, the awfulness of the kit becomes ever more apparent. The nacelle fronts are a mess - there isn't a real round hole for the prop and the wheel wells are short shot and/or misaligned. Still, all fixable to a degree. I will definitely not be opening up a cockpit. I have three of the Frog kits (actually a Frog, Novo and Air Lines, all the same moulds), and a Mikro Mir 1/48 scale with PE and masks, so I'll save any real work for those when the time comes.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

OK, with the Cutlass out of the way in the Classic Revellogram build, back to Comets. The Airfix kit is truly awful, so I'm not going to embellish them much, but here we go.

Here's the first one on the way:

spacer.png

And the second and third:

spacer.png

The second red one will end up black, while the grey plastic will be the green one.

Edited by drdjp11
Typo
  • Like 9

I'm glad to see you continuing with this project. Getting smooth joints will help show the lines of these beautiful machines and their colour-schemes to great advantage.

• Like 1

Getting all three Comets up to the same stage, almost. The bad side of the assembly as all the gaps. The good side is that they're easy to fill and sand because there's zero surface detail to worry about.

Here they are all lined up:

spacer.png

The left two just have the nacelles pushed into place. I also decided the props are way too flimsy and the nacelles too irregular to worry about spinning props, so the props will go on last.

And just in case you don't believe how awful the nacelle fronts are, here they all are:

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 7

17 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Ouch ! Those nacelles and molds have seen better days haven't they ? 

Plus - no location pins!

Believe it or not the nacelles are aligned very well, so the front view is truly just random short-shotting/mold deterioration.

In addition, the intakes on the real thing look like this:

spacer.png

So we'll see how much we can make it look like that...

• Like 2