Luke's Israeli adventure

1 hour ago, Moggy said:

The Israeli Air Force did not fly the A-4 during the Six Days war. 

First flight of a A-4H (in the US) was in november 1967; deliveries to Israel began early 1968

Cheers, Moggy

Thanks for the correction.  The reference I had some photos of an A-4H dated to 1967, so I made an bad assumption.

• Like 1

Hi all, been back at work this week and its been manic so productivity has taken a hit. Nevertheless some progress has been made, the Mezek is just waiting on its canopy and rudder now as well as a few small details.

20221030_150334

I've also began painting the skyhawk, but the airbrush has been giving me a headache so the underside is being brush painted whilst i wait for the replacement to arrive. Luckily these AK paints have been very nice to handpaint with, I've just been adding a few drops of thinner and it's came out very smooth- it almost feels airbrushed.

20221030_150443

I also noticed Italeri have a RF-4E releasing next month which comes with 2 Israeli schemes so I've preordered that as I'm yet to build a Phantom. It also comes with an Iranian scheme so if I enjoy that build I'd be tempted to get another for that, I have the Hobbyboss IRIAF F-14 in the stash so that could be another potential air force to have a project on in the future.

Italeri-148-Scale-RF-4E-Phantom-II-Version-B

°tritt. RF-4E Isr 2

Italeri-148-Scale-RF-4E-Phantom-II-Version-E

Source: HobbyZero

(Its coming up on my birthday too so hopefully @stevej60 can be a top dad and get me an Israeli Mirage too 😉)

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 6

Hi all, small update. The skyhawk is slowly being painted, just the brown to go on and a few little touchups to go. The AK paints are really nice to handpaint with, no lumps or bumps at all.

20221106_130645

The Mezek just needs its rudder decal applying now then it's finished. 

And a few new kits have been added to the stash for this project as it was my birthday earlier in the week, definitely looking forward to starting these in the near future- the amount of ordinance that comes with the F-16 is insane! 

20221106_130733

Hopefully have the S-199 in RFI soon. Thanks for looking in!

Edited by Luke1199
  • Like 5

On 30/10/2022 at 15:24, Luke1199 said:

I'm yet to build a Phantom.

What post war aircraft modeller hasn’t. A right of passage or an obsession.   😡

Enjoy when you do. 

Chris

• Haha 1

Hi all, the Mezek is all but finished now, just need the rudder adding and some small odds and ends added. Pretty happy with it but I definitely won't be rushing to build any more 1/72 props 😅

20221109_202143

The A-4 is coming along nicely, the paint job is largely done, now its the gear and ordinance to add. Thinking about just using the kit decals and building it as it would have been built in 1979 when the kit came out. I'm tempted to get the Hasegawa A-4M and a conversion kit sometime down the line and build a more accurate IAF A-4 in the future.

20221109_201054 20221109_201103

Starting work on the Meteor for the GB, but I'm not sure which kit I'll be starting next for this thread, leaning toward the phantom or spitfire though as its about time I finally built my first kit of these legendary aircraft.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 7

Nice job on the Mezek Luke, she turned out quite beautiful... well, very pretty... um, attractive... er, businesslike. Looks good, rather than good-looking :D 

The Scooter's looking rather fine in those colours too B) 

Cheers,

Stew

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, the Mezek has been posted in RFI- pretty happy with the result and glad to see another build across the line. 

20221116_173013

20221116_173121

As for the Scooter, it's coming along very nicely and ready for it's gloss now. Shaping up to be one of my favourite builds here.

20221118_162551

20221118_162543

The F-4E will be the next build I start for this project, looks a very nice kit and relatively simple too.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 8

Hi all, been blessed with a week off work and I'm in the swing of things so hopefully this can be a productive week on here. 

The A-4 has been glossed and the decals applied- the leading edge slats have been removed though because they're both warped and need straightening out before going back on.

20221121_164121

Need to paint the intake red and apply the final decals, then I'm going to try and give it some light weathering. 

Also I've ordered the Hobby2000 TA-4J in 1/72 which should arrive in a few days, I've enjoyed this build and gotten the bug for the A-4 I think 😅, same scheme but accurate and with an actual squadron. Should be fun!

Thanks for looking in!

Edited by Luke1199
  • Like 5

Hi all, the Skyhawk is finished now- needed a lot more weight in the front than I originally added but its done and dusted. Really fun kit even if it isnt very accurate. I did try to paint the canopy to resemble the A-4N a little closer though. 

20221124_001421

Up next is the Phantom and thankfully my new airbrush has arrived so looking forward to it.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 9

Hi all, small new addition to this project. Picked up a Hobby2000 TA-4J in 1/72, looks like Hobby2000 kits are reboxes of old Hasegawa and Fujimi kits. Looks a nice kit, comes with a resin extended exhaust and two decal options- one from the Golden Eagle squadron and one from the Flying Tigers.

20221130_171559 20221130_171649

20221130_171700

Going to start this kit next, fancy a small build before I jump into the next 1/48 kit.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 8

On 11/30/2022 at 6:12 PM, Luke1199 said:

Hi all, small new addition to this project. Picked up a Hobby2000 TA-4J in 1/72, looks like Hobby2000 kits are reboxes of old Hasegawa and Fujimi kits.

Yes they are and I have one in the stash along with it's Fujimi forebear, both will be IDFAF aircraft, one with and one withoout the extended jet pipe.

Gondor

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all! Well I've not touched a model in a few weeks now but hoping to get back into the swing now my nightshifts are finished. Anyway since yesterday was Christmas I added a few more kits to the pile (and some light reading)...

20221226_094619

Looking forward to the Cobra build as I've never built a helicopter, and excited for my first 1/32 build (with decals courtesy of Stew). Also got a small 1/72 Merkava from my brother so plenty to be getting on with.

I have some time off coming up soon and I'll start one of the larger kits alongside something for the Salty Sea Dog GB, but I have the TA-4J to crack on with until then.

Thanks for looking in and I hope everyone had a nice Christmas (and Hanukkah)!

• Like 5

• 5 weeks later...

Hi folks, well I currently only have two builds on the go (both for the salty sea dog GB) and one is nearing completion, so why not use this lull before the Dassault GB starts to get something done for this project? 

I'm finally going to have a proper go at a spit, I've built one before but it was a starter set for a blitzbuild

20221227_232850

I have two in the stash, though I'm planning on building the 1/32 for the Go Large GB later in the year. So I'll be building the Revell/Hasegawa Mk.IX in 1/48. 

20230125_104922

Naturally i have some Israeli decals ready! These are by Techmod and come with two IAF schemes, I'll be attempting the silver Spitfire.

20230125_104955

I have found an image of the actual aircraft too dating from 1949.

19-1

Source: AviaDejaVu

Very much looking forward to this one, built a few Hasegawa kits before and they're always fun.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 2

Hi folks, made some progress on the spit today.

Cockpit was assembled and then the fuselage put together.

20230126_163431

20230126_170331

Then the wings assembled and fitted with the fuselage.

20230126_195057

Some filler will be needed along the wing roots and on the underside join to the fuselage but aside from that a pretty easy build so far.

Hopefully begin the paintwork soon. Thanks for looking in!  

• Like 4

Started getting the silver down, so far so good. I've only built one NMF plane before and it was for a blitzbuild and the finish was ATROCIOUS! But airbrushing the Vallejo has been great so far. A few more coats still required though.

20230128_182232

Also adding another kit to the build list, and this one I'm super excited for! I have the GWH F-15I Ra'am in 1/72 on the way. 

I've also added a hobbyboss Mirage IIICJ to the stash (can you tell its payday?) but thats for the Dassault GB starting soon, however I purchased some additional decals and the set comes with markings for 18 aircraft so expect a few to end up in this thread in the future 😁 

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi folks, painted and in the process of glossing the Spitfire. The Vallejo was a joy to paint.

20230206_175239

Also the F-15 arrived! Super detailed kit, can't wait to get stuck in when I get a chance! I swear half the sprues are guided bombs 😅

20230202_103729

Hopefully get the decals down tomorrow, thanks for looking in!

• Like 5

Hi all, made some more progress on the Spitfire today- decals are on now and I'm currently in the process of painting the tail and propeller.

I may even get it wrapped up tomorrow and then focus on some GB projects for a little while (but the temptation to start the F-15 is strooong) 

20230207_222950

Also tried to simulate oil dripping on the underside.

20230207_223010

Maybe see it in RFI tomorrow! Thanks for looking in!

• Like 4

Hi all, finished the Spitfire earlier. Pretty happy with it, not a fan of NMF schemes but the Vallejo paints were nice, no obvious brush marks or anything like that.

Looking forward to tackling the 1/32 Spit later in the year for the Go Large GB, should be a fun one!

20230208_194315

20230208_194548

See you all soon, have a Mirage IIICJ double build prepped for the Dassault GB but I'm sure I'll be back in here soon.

Thanks for looking in!

• Like 6

Hi all! Well I enjoyed that spitfire build so much I'm thinking of starting the 1/32 kit soon. And since they're only about £30 anyhow I thought why not get some AM decals and get a collection going 😅

So I picked up the Isradecal set which comes with enough options to last a lifetime! 

20230213_163032

20230213_163051

The majority are in the RAF colours, but there's also some NMF and a few brown and blue options too. 

20230213_163132

20230213_163216

I'm planning on starting with the clipped wing blue and brown aircraft below however, one of my favourite schemes! 

20230213_163150

Ezer Weizman's black spit is also included, definitely going to have to build that in the future as I'm halfway through his autobiography at the moment. I also have decals which Stew was kind enough to send me in the stash so plenty Spitfire's in the pipeline.

Looking forward to this, probably start one shortly - thanks for looking in!

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, billn53 said:

Love your silver Spitfire, I'm going to have to build one of those myself. Plus an IAF Meteor and Mirage III to go alongside. 🙂 

Cheers Bill, that sounds like a plan- would love to see that!

• Like 1