Sd. Kfs. 231 6 Rad

My first armoured car, I couldn't wait until the group build later this year.

I've started getting interested in German AFVs outside of the usual stars of the show, no big cats here, and I've always liked some of the more obscure subjects.

Sd. Kfs. 231 6 Rad Schwere Panzerspähwagen was a heavy reconnaissance armoured car. I picked up this kit on a whim and was inspired by a Grey and Brown camo for it over on the tank encyclopaedia.

The camo didn't quite pan out as I had planned. It is Dunklebraun over Dunklegrau however I still need to work on the scale affect especially how it relates to 1/72.

Painted with Vallejo model air, enamel washes and pigments.

Thanks for looking.

Calum

PXL_20221004_180743454.jpg

PXL_20221004_180757531.jpg

PXL_20221004_180811253.jpg

PXL_20221004_180830961.jpg

PXL_20221004_180840097.jpg

PXL_20221004_180901618.jpg

• Like 16

May I add, that I think you nickname suits the topic of German Wheel Tanks extremely well! 😉

And well executed this is, I must admit - may I ask which scale? And what kit? I found that especially in smaller scales it is very difficult to nail the right effect of wear. Well, at least I fail here rather too often to post something *cough*. 

But german wheel tanks are an interesting subject, not my natural homeground, but I guess something that could bring ones mojo back when one of these "big builds" get stuck. 🌈

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

May I add, that I think you nickname suits the topic of German Wheel Tanks extremely well! 😉

And well executed this is, I must admit - may I ask which scale? And what kit? I found that especially in smaller scales it is very difficult to nail the right effect of wear. Well, at least I fail here rather too often to post something *cough*. 

But german wheel tanks are an interesting subject, not my natural homeground, but I guess something that could bring ones mojo back when one of these "big builds" get stuck. 🌈

Thank you, I don't remember the Sardaukar having wheel tanks :wink:.

Ah sorry its not clear, it is the Italeri 1/72 kit, I like to flit about in my subjects, German early war is interesting that was the classic Blitzkrieg.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I don't remember the Sardaukar having wheel tanks

I think I have read somewhere, might have been in a fanblog or something,  that the Sardaukar are depicted somewhat like elite desert rats, but rather Rommel-type of desertfoxes, not like the SAS/LRDG kind.  So; Rommel-Stuff is to to me somewhat Sardaukar-ish. 😉

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

I think I have read somewhere, might have been in a fanblog or something,  that the Sardaukar are depicted somewhat like elite desert rats, but rather Rommel-type of desertfoxes, not like the SAS/LRDG kind.  So; Rommel-Stuff is to to me somewhat Sardaukar-ish. 😉

sounds like the old Dune computer game where the sardaukar were an elite infantry unit that could appear from the dunes (which kind of sounds like the fremen). from what I remember that game did have buggys that could be considered wheeled tanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, echen said:

Great build of an unusual subject. Like it a lot - I think I might look for one.

Thanks Echen. can't remember where I got it first to fight also do it as well.

15 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Weird looking thing. Nice model thought. Smashin!

thanks captn.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Yg Models said:

interesting 6-wheels Sd. Kfs.

I completed a pair of 4-wheels & half track, still remain a 8-wheels Sd. Kfs 😆

room for something in the middle. I want a 222 now.

3 hours ago, sardaukar said:

sounds like the old Dune computer game where the sardaukar were an elite infantry unit

Yes, I've played that - might very well be the inspiration. But that's so long ago, I can't even remember. That was on Floppy Disks, the small ones, which I found awefully modern by those days...

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Chief Cohiba said:

Yes, I've played that - might very well be the inspiration. But that's so long ago, I can't even remember. That was on Floppy Disks, the small ones, which I found awefully modern by those days...

was impressive compared to the tapes my old specky 48k used.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, sardaukar said:

was impressive compared to the tapes my old specky 48k used.

I always wanted one of them, when I found out that the Hobbit was available only on the Sinclair. But then I got weak, didn't dare to enter the indy club, but joined the major league and got a C64 for christmas. First with cassettes, then with 5" floppies. I even remember the number of the floppy drive - 1541 (isn't it strange, what kind of useless information a weak mind memorises?) - and how expensive, big and heavy it was.

Definitely bigger than the notebook I'm typing right now.

Dune (or was it Dune2?) I then played on my 486DX/2 66. Again, useless information - now I don't even know what CPU is in this box here, wait - it has a sticker on it that says i5. Who cares... 😉

But now - back to modelling!

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Yg Models said:

go find red dragon, one box has two 222 😉

52364491917_9b32bdf32f_w.jpg

52365429856_23e6b87051_w.jpg

thanks Yg, not so easy to come by in the uk although I see ICM do a couple of 222kits which are cheaper and easier to buy here.

6 hours ago, Chief Cohiba said:

But now - back to modelling!

Been a gamer all my life from before the consoles brought it to the cool kids and it went mainstream. Although for me gaming and modelling are almost two sides of the same coin.

48 minutes ago, sardaukar said:

Been a gamer all my life

so what game are you playing?

I just finished Death Stranding on PC (since i don't play console), before that was elden ring. 😁

Edited by Yg Models
  • Like 1

22 hours ago, Yg Models said:

so what game are you playing?

I just finished Death Stranding on PC (since i don't play console), before that was elden ring. 😁

Im a PC man myself. Recently I've gotten into war thunder playing ground war although I'm fairly rubbish at it.

Strategy wise have been playing Phoenix Point recently but starting to do some historical wargames again, lightweight stuff like Order of Battle and Panzer Corps 2. 

Im not much of an RPG fan although the Witcher 3 was great. 

Although if you want to talk games more DM is probably better.