Matchbox Meteor in Israeli markings - Finished

Marklo

A39194-E7-D8-DE-4202-87-BD-0-B675-F8-D44

Since @Enzo Matrix has opened the forum way early and as  I will be your co host for the GB ( I’m actually nervous :) ) I thought I’d start the ball rolling with my build thread.

Not sure which variant I’ll build ( NF11/12 or 13) or what colour scheme but I’m looking forward to the build. It’s a meteor and a matchbox kit couldn’t get much better :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 8

2-FB275-CD-01-AD-463-B-B973-E691196-EC5-

2-E9127-C4-8-ACE-4-E39-B9-A1-93-CF96064-

0624-A9-F0-5-FC3-4643-BD3-F-87-B2-DB63-F

One of these three I think. At the moment the middle ones probably my favourite, but I have a couple of weeks to consider my options.

Now of course I have to go find the kit.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Marklo said:

2-FB275-CD-01-AD-463-B-B973-E691196-EC5-

2-E9127-C4-8-ACE-4-E39-B9-A1-93-CF96064-

0624-A9-F0-5-FC3-4643-BD3-F-87-B2-DB63-F

One of these three I think. At the moment the middle ones probably my favourite, but I have a couple of weeks to consider my options.

Now of course I have to go find the kit.

That bottom image looks like our NF13, before it came to Jet Age.

100-8189.jpg

• Like 3

Seems like you and I on the same wavelength. Im doing an Israeli T.Mk.7/7.5. Im angling for the Blue/earth camouflage. I will do a Mk.13 at some point if I can get the Special hobby night fighter kit. Do you have enough info on the Israeli 13’s ? I have a # of collected photo’s if you need any info. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

Be aware that the Matchbox kit  nose is too long by a quarter of an inch, if I recall correctly.

Thanks for the heads up. Funnily enough I was going to see if I could snag some scale plans so if I have to mold half a fuselage I may as well mold a whole one.

8 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

Be aware that the Matchbox kit  nose is too long by a quarter of an inch, if I recall correctly.

Only the nose for the NF14, the nose supplied for the NF12 is also correct for the NF14

Edited by Dave Swindell
Typo corrected, thanks @stever219
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56328117-E998-427-E-B40-A-6-D32-F74865-A
Not sure which NF it is but the fuselage is spot on. 

Ahh I appear to only have one nose, there should be three. As happens it is the middle sized one which according to matchbox is for an NF12

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

Indeed I would be! 👍😀

TBH the technique is one I learned from your Mig Scratchbuilt.

1-F727-A26-A035-4-DB7-8-E23-00-C353-EF5-Found this whilst looking for my missing fuselage half, swings and roundabouts or what :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Bandsaw Steve said:

One of the the little tags on this thread’s heading reads ‘oob

The kit was bought second hand and is partially started and missing some parts including half of the fuselage. But on the positive side it didn’t cost that much.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:54 AM, Space Ranger said:

Only the one intended for the Mk. 14; if building a Mk. 14 from this kit use the nose intended for the Mk.12.  Both Mks used the same radar and associated equipment so there was no need to extend the nose when 12 became 14.

Edited by stever219
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, stever219 said:

The NF. 11 and 13 shared nose geometry; the NF. 12 and 14 shared a different nose geometry.

Yes, you're correct, my typo. The Matchbox kit noses should be parts 8 & 10 for an NF11 or NF13; parts 9 & 12 for an NF12 or NF14; and parts 7 & 13 for the bin - these are the erroneously overlong parts that Matchbox would have you use for the NF14.

23 minutes ago, Dave Swindell said:

Yes, you're correct, my typo. The Matchbox kit noses should be parts 8 & 10 for an NF11 or NF13; parts 9 & 12 for an NF12 or NF14; and parts 7 & 13 for the bin - these are the erroneously overlong parts that Matchbox would have you use for the NF14.

I believe that the error resulted from measuring the different marks from their respective windscreens to the tip of their noses.   As you stated, the NF12 and NF14 have the same nose. However, the NF14 has a shorter windscreen than the NF12, making the windscreen-nose distance seem longer.  Matchbox therefore provided extra-long nose parts for the NF14 which are spurious.

Oddly enough, Modeldecal took Matchbox at their word.  Modeldecal sheets 92 and 93 provide a huge selection of markings for night fighter Meteors.  The instruction drawings show the NF14 with an unfeasibly long nose, just like the Matchbox kit.  It doesn't affect the accuracy of the decals though.  

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

I believe that the error resulted from measuring the different marks from their respective windscreens to the tip of their noses.   As you stated, the NF12 and NF14 have the same nose. However, the NF14 has a shorter windscreen than the NF12, making the windscreen-nose distance seem longer.  Matchbox therefore provided extra-long nose parts for the NF14 which are spurious.

The error stems from oft quoted incorrect overall lengths for the NF14 which were all derived from an article where someone (can't remember who) noted a 17" extension to the nose of the NF12 from the NF11/NF13, and also noted a 17" extension to the nose of the NF14, then added this to the NF12 length to get the NF14 length - it's not another extension, it's the same extension as the NF12 from the NF11/NF13. 

NF11/NF13 overall length - 48' 6"

NF12/NF14 overall length - 49' 11" 

Difference - 17"

Erroneous NF14 overall length 51' 4" - still quoted on that fount of all knowledge Wikipedia - another nonexistent 17" extension to the NF12 length.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Marklo said:

No just the internet search results. Photos would be well appreciated.

Most of what I have are from internet searches and one post Ive made up in cold war. I know the 13’s had A/C duct’s on the fuselage. Those are some of the more visual changes between the 11 & 13. I will see what I have and send via D/M as Im not sure about re-posting.

• Thanks 1