French Mirage 111c EC1/10 Valois

billyharry2000

Hi There

Wonder if someone could help with my next model project,a French Air Force Mirage 111c of EC1/10 Valois.I have always liked this aircraft and was wondering if anyone has any flightline shots at there base which was Creil at the time.I live near a former RAF base which in Oct 1978 had EC1/10 Valois Mirage 111c on a Sqn exchange with our then  Lightning's when one of the Mirages 10-SJ (38) flamed out over Grimsby and crashed in a farmer's field pilot was ok.This Mirage was the only one on the exchange in the blue scheme.Hope someone can help.

Kind Regards

Craig

Hi Craig

I was stationed on Creil AB from 1979 to 1985. At the time Mirage IIIC were painted like the Air Defence Mirage F1C in blue over aluminium.

Here is a picture of #38 when from the sister squadron "Cercle de Chasse" EC 02/010.

spacer.png

Cheers.

Patrick

• Like 3

6 hours ago, billyharry2000 said:

a French Air Force Mirage 111c of EC1/10 Valois.I

Craig

Airfix vintage fantasy ;

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-292-mirage-111c--145452

It was fortunately modified on later issues :`

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airfix-gunze-x-208-dassault-mirage-iiic--1242236

Edited by AV O

That particular aircraft is featured on Model Art Decal sheet 72/039, it shows it in the blue over aluminium scheme but the forward part of the nose between the front of the windscreen and the radome is natural metal (quite common practice I understand, Patrick @VG 33 would know).

Jean-Pierre Desprez is pretty hot with his research, I wouldn't be surprised if he has a photo to confirm the scheme, try contacting him at [email protected]

10 hours ago, Wez said:

That particular aircraft is featured on Model Art Decal sheet 72/039, it shows it in the blue over aluminium scheme but the forward part of the nose between the front of the windscreen and the radome is natural metal (quite common practice I understand, Patrick @VG 33 would know).

Sometimes the radar electronics compartment could be taken from one aircraft to the other and they were not all in Blue over Aluminium. Some remained in natural metal up to an overall scheduled maintenance.

Patrick

• Thanks 1

Years ago, I went to an open day at Creil and took some photos of the Mirage IIICs.  The problem is - can I find those negatives!

I have a small flake of paint which "fell off" the wing of a IIIC and found it to be a perfect match to colour No.636 PRU Blue in BS 381C, 1964.  This is not to contradict Giampiero, FS35164 is the same colour.  If British modellers call this colour "Mirage Blue", in France it is known as "Bleu défense aérienne".

@Wez  Mirage 38 had a natural metal area in front of the cockpit at the time of the crash.  The pilotless aircraft was only slightly damaged by the crash and was repaired and flew again two years later.  A photo of the repaired Mirage shows a totally black nose.

Reference: Mirage III, Tome 1 by Chenel, Moreau and Audouin, DTU 2000.

Mike

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 10/5/2022 at 8:41 AM, GiampieroSilvestri said:

The Humbrol equivalent is Hu16 Blue Federal Standard FS35164.

19 hours ago, Michou said:

a perfect match to colour No.636 PRU Blue in BS 381C, 1964. This is not to contradict Giampiero, FS35164 is the same colour. 

Hu 16 should more correctly be written as HU16 & was part of the old Humbrol Authentic range & has indeed been superceded by Hu 144 & is equivalent to FS 35164. Scroll down to HU16 in the left column & all will be revealed. There is little difference between Intermediate Blue & PRU Blue according to some references & my not very accurate eyes. :)

Steve.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/4/2022 at 10:55 PM, AV O said:

Why fantasy - because of the spacial setting and the less-than-stellar perspective of in particular the JL100s (I think that's what they were called)? The model follows the Aeromodeller drawing to a hair (mostly), and those drawings also include the Matra 511 (IIRC) and the rarely-seen tanks/launchers. The only modification this kit ever had (as far as I'm aware) were new artwork and new decals for 1989 and later issues.

@billyharry2000, interestingly this Mirage IIIC became pilot's favorite after its repair at Dassault's facilities since its electric harness and several other stuff were changed and updated . As a consequence it became the more reliable bird among the fleet. 😎

One last word : check your PM .

6 minutes ago, Lusitanian said:

Was the lower surface natural metallic finish or was it painted with aluminum paint on aircraft in the blue-grey upper surface camouflage?

Best wishes!

Aluminum paint .😉

• 2 weeks later...

For the blue there is Vallejo's "French Mirage Blue" (FS35164) #59 or 70.900

I used it for my Mirage F1C and it came out really well - even airbrushed OK

For the Alu... if memory serves I undercoated the whole aircraft in gloss black then added white or Grey thinned down preshading on some panels (taped off) before spraying it all with Alclad Polished Alu I think

Here's the R.F.I. for my F1C

Edited by Flying Badger
  • Like 1