the ultimate new Luftwaffe Fighters book from JaPo!

FalkeEins

42 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

just dreading the price....  Is there a due date?

Hopefully mortgage interest rates will have settled by the time it is published... ;) 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, Casey said:

Does this book contain any paint samples

I'd be very surprised,  their specific camouflage volumes don't, and as you well know, it's sort of thing that would double the cost. 

I don't recall there really being any chip set that vastly improves on the ones in the Official Monogram guide to German Aircraft Painting,  (which a quick search has shown some eye popping prices, but I think is in your library?) 

there was a chart in this that I don't recall as being glossy,  mine is inaccessible so I can't check

The Modellers Luftwaffe Painting Guide A Supplement to Luftwaffe Camouflage & Markings Vols 1, 2 & 3 (with colour chart)

Smith, J.R., G.G.Pentland & R.P.Lutz

Published by Kookaburra Technical Publications, Melbourne, Australia, 1979

ISBN 10: 0858800330ISBN 13: 9780858800335

2 hours ago, FalkeEins said:

no idea on price just yet...

from others they have done, I'd think 60-70 Euro, though nearly all the books seems to sell out fast and don't get reprinted.    Look forward to finding out more about it.  

cheers

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

Official Monogram guide to German Aircraft Painting,  (which a quick search has shown some eye popping prices, but I think is in your library?) 

It is. Alongside with:

1. Luftwaffe Camouflage and Markings (both volumes), K.A. Merrick and Kiroff
    1. Probably best one for me so far
    2. Real paint samples
  2. Luftwaffe Colours 1935-1945 by Ullmann
    1. glossy color samples
    2. No errata which is supposed to fix some problems with couple of colors
    3. It has around 2.5-6 (!) DE difference of colors from K.A. Merrick
  3. AK Interactive Real Colors of WWII
    1. Nope. Just nope. Those are just printer printed colors and their 'paint chips' are less close to K.A. Merrick book than the photos of the original paint chips documents they placed in same book. I've also checked other colors, like British ones, and all those that I checked were not even close.

All of those are expensive and out of print options, so I would really welcome some reputable alternatives - and colors being exactly same is the whole point :)

I know I do not need it, but every modeller should have equal chance, out of print references make it very expensive hobby.

Edited by Casey
  • Like 5

• FalkeEins changed the title to the ultimate new Luftwaffe Fighters book from JaPo!

..not sure what you're trying to say with this. Here's a new book that you should absolutely get if you have an interest in the subject and can afford it. It will soon be available... not some long out-of-print exorbitantly priced reference. As the authors state  " the photos are complemented by more than forty profile artworks, which may just spark some new ideas for model builders and potentially serve as an incentive for the decal manufacturers to create something new.”

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

..actually the book covers the period 1935-1939 with the formation of a number of Jagdgeschwader prior to the outbreak of war, so I guess the authors thought they could hardly leave out the opening campaign/invasion

• Like 2

New Japo book, looks like a really nice volume and will order when it becomes avaible.

Colour chart, Eagle Editions sold a stand alone RLM colour chart with paint chips.  Again out of print, but does come up occasionaly and maybe a worthwhile option. 

I have all the list colour charts inc the errata for Merrick and Kiroff.  Not sure there's anyway I can picture them as comparisons, but will drag them all out and see if there are any startling difference.

• 5 weeks later...

I think I may have this chart somewhere. Time to start looking. But why does this book cover only the 'West' (I know because it sells)? I've heard from reputable sources that there was quite a bit of Luftwaffe activity in the East. Perhaps this will be covered in another book.

Regards,

Jason

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

I think I may have this chart somewhere. Time to start looking. But why does this book cover only the 'West' (I know because it sells)? I've heard from reputable sources that there was quite a bit of Luftwaffe activity in the East. Perhaps this will be covered in another book.

Regards,

Jason

Hi Jason

Don't forget that JaPo have published a number of volumes on the Luftwaffe over Czech Territory - perhaps not precisely the East you are referring to here, but certainly not the West as outlined in posts above. A number are still available on their website. And certainly worth having.

:like:

SD

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SafetyDad said:

Hi Jason

Don't forget that JaPo have published a number of volumes on the Luftwaffe over Czech Territory - perhaps not precisely the East you are referring to here, but certainly not the West as outlined in posts above. A number are still available on their website. And certainly worth having.

:like:

SD

Thank you for the information! In fact, the last fighting in the 'East' took place in Czechia (or the Protectorate of Bohemia and Moravia as it was then). The Germans held out there until 11 May before surrendering to the Soviets, which was after the formal German surrender to the Allies (May 8/9).

Best Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
Minor change.
  • Like 1

..new JAPO Luftwaffe fighters book is on sale now, RRP is €55, 508 page hard back, book weighs 2.37 kg. And just to point out by way of response to the remark about the 'East' Stipdonk/Meyer have previously published a large photo history of an Eastern Front Jagdgeschwader and there are currently no plans for an Eastern Front volume.  Volume V of the author's ZG/NJG photo series will probably be next ..if a publisher steps up

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1