'76 Ford Torino

1 minute ago, Bengalensis said:

You're really making quick progress on this one!

Nice to see it in different colours than that red with the white stripe, it's looking good and very 70's in green with green interior.

(No, I don't think that particular TV-show stands up well, but that's just my view)

I think my parents watched the show when it was on, but I don't remember watching it, I must have been too young back then and already in bed!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, JeroenS said:

I think my parents watched the show when it was on, but I don't remember watching it, I must have been too young back then and already in bed!

Ha, that sort of shows my age as I remember that show as one of the more recent 70's TV-shows in this genre (I do quite like the genre in general).

• Like 2

18 hours ago, keefr22 said:

wasn't that impressed by the film though....

Don't think anyone was!

I'm old enough to remember watching it on a Saturday night (I think) in the 70s at home, so 1970 - 1972...

Loved all those American Cop shows, Kojak, Magnum PI (pushing it a bit as a cop show), etc.

Loved the British stuff as well, The Sweeny (You're nicked my son!), etc.

There's so many that I can't remember, poor memory, there days. In my late sixties now,,, 😕

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alan R said:

Loved the British stuff as well, The Sweeny (You're nicked my son!), etc.

There's so many that I can't remember, poor memory, there days. In my late sixties now

Ditto Alan, although I'm only mid sixties... :)

• Like 1

To finalize my decision on the paint I took a picture of it. It does show some orange peel but of course I didn't wet sand the paint or anything, it's just paint / clear coat / bit of polish. 

20221010200822-ab572ee6-me.jpg

I'll leave it like this. One thing I already hate: it's a dust magnet. I may weather it some to give it a "driven in" appearance instead of showroom. 

Anyway, I masked up and painted the engine bay. And as you can see I was feeling brave and painted the window trim as well. 

20221010200823-7ec82833-me.jpg

For once, my masking turned out fine, for the black. The trim will of course look horrible in close up shots, I'm just not good at that stuff. 

20221010200823-931dee84-me.jpg

Current state of play on the engine. 

20221010200822-3f43dd99-me.jpg

I'm going to add more stuff. I'm thinking of an AC pump, now that I have such a nice ride I think it should have some nice cool air inside. Also, this means extra hoses to fill up the engine bay. 

• Like 15

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Excellent!! :thumbsup:

I really do like that colour, going to have to get some of that to paint something in. No idea what though.... :)

Keith

I think it probably looks good on a lot of stuff.

• Like 1

That's a super groovy colour scheme. I researched Torino paint and trim options in too much detail when building mine, and yours captures the general vibe perfectly. If it looks right, it is right. 

Seeing as you're considering it, I'd vote for lightly weathered, caveated with "less is more" of course. Cars from northern and coastal states will look rattier than those from dry states. If you don't want to use the California Starsky & Hutch registration, I just found a load of photos of plates on the internet and used one of those. Wikipedia told me what colour the plate for each state would be for the particular year. It was a right rabbit warren of confusion but worth getting right.

Unless it'll be a Dutch registered Van Dordt company car? 😁

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Anteater said:

Unless it'll be a Dutch registered Van Dordt company car? 😁

Yep, I may do the old "uncle Jan imported this car back in '83" and get some old Dutch plates on it, I probably have some in the decal stash somewhere. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, JeroenS said:

Yep, I may do the old "uncle Jan imported this car back in '83"

And later had it restored in a lovely green on green colour scheme - that's my excuse for hardly ever bothering researching 'original' colour schemes and painting things whatever colour I like....!! 🤣

K

• Like 2

My attitude exactly.  Especially with 1950s-70s American cars, the vast majority will by now have been restored, restomodded and/or customised to some degree so anything goes.  For me that's part of the enjoyment of building cars from that era.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

And later had it restored in a lovely green on green colour scheme - that's my excuse for hardly ever bothering researching 'original' colour schemes and painting things whatever colour I like....!! 🤣

K

I never research anything to that extent either, just reference pics which I usually combine into something I like. If I'd want to have everything absolutely correct I'd be an aircraft builder :whistle:

• Haha 5

6 hours ago, JeroenS said:

If I'd want to have everything absolutely correct I'd be an aircraft builder :whistle:

Oy, I build aircraft too....!! :tease:

(but they most certainly don't have everything absolutely correct....!! 🤣 )

K

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, keefr22 said:

(but they most certainly don't have everything absolutely correct....!! 🤣 )

See? Still some car builder left in you.

• Haha 2

I've done some more work on the engine. Wired the starter and the alternator as best I could.

20221015115307-1807597c-me.jpg

Fuel lines out of lead wire.

20221015115307-4b98c5f3-me.jpg

I'm hoping that the thingy I ran my fuel line into is indeed the mechanical fuel pump. Otherwise it is now. 

20221015115307-26c2069e-me.jpg

Added a solenoid to the inner wheel housing. 

20221015115307-cb4b0926-me.jpg

I can connect all this only after the engine is actually in the engine bay. I guess that means I'm going to have to start putting together the main body parts soon...

• Like 12

8 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I'm hoping that the thingy I ran my fuel line into is indeed the mechanical fuel pump

Looks about right to me. Nice wiring, good luck with running it to where it's supposed to go.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, JeroenS said:

I'm hoping that the thingy I ran my fuel line into is indeed the mechanical fuel pump. Otherwise it is now. 

It is, except that neither line goes into the bottom of it... I guess one does now. Maybe it's a Chinesium aftermarket pump. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

It is, except that neither line goes into the bottom of it... I guess one does now. Maybe it's a Chinesium aftermarket pump. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yup, that must be it 🙂

• Haha 2

18 hours ago, Rob G said:

Well, the engine is a strange mix of Windsor and Cleveland features, so some artistic licence should be allowed.  :)  I imagine that if a kit came out with a hybrid Kent/Pinto, or an Essex/Cologne V6 mashup, there would be similar consternation...

Can't beat green on green for a '70s vibe.  😬

• Like 2

Well, I got the main components assembled. Glued the engine to the chassis which was easy. Glued the windows, then the tub into the body. The latter is a bit weird, especially when fitting the body over the chassis is a bit of a struggle. The body needs some serious pulling to get the rear to fit over the chassis. But I got it. Of course, somehow the rear view mirror came loose. I hate stuff like that. 

20221016212804-856b5be0-me.jpg

20221016212804-fae04bf6-me.jpg

That shell is getting dirtier by the day, probably needs a polish again. But it will be lightly weathered which should hide some of the crimes. 

On 15/10/2022 at 20:51, Pete in Lincs said:

Nice wiring, good luck with running it to where it's supposed to go.

Yeah, about that... I'm not much of an expert. So it will most likely be all wrong and a real car would probably catch on fire immediately after turning the key when it's wired like mine. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

OK, somehow, when I wasn't paying attention, this went from "let's build a clunker" to an engine detailing build... hmm... So far, the engine portion has taken more time than I had wanted to spend on the build in total. Well, I guess that's how it goes sometimes 🙂 

20221017211233-d8a4b4bd-me.jpg

20221017211234-b9e45cf4-me.jpg

Still some cleanup and a bit of painting required. Plus the AC unit, plus the brake stuff. And I'll throw in a bunch of random wiring as well. 

And I still may turn it into a clunker :evil_laugh:

• Like 9