'76 Ford Torino

The more I look at this the more it seems a good move to keep it shiny. It will work in your favour that British Green is a colour which reflects back well, not as well as black but not far off. Definitely keep it shiny :) The engine bay is looking very good too, well worth spending the extra time on it.

The only thing which seems odd, and this is probably the camera, is that your British Green here seems lighter than the British Green I used on the VW van.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Spiny said:

The only thing which seems odd, and this is probably the camera, is that your British Green here seems lighter than the British Green I used on the VW van.

Probably a combination of camera, daylight photo lamps and the background.

This week, I didn't have much energy to fiddle around in the engine bay, but this afternoon I had. Some sunshine and a beer may have helped there. I went ahead and put in the AC and the brake cylinder. 

20221021194605-17149d9b-me.jpg

When fitting it, I ended up cutting the vertical pieces of rod because they were in the way and you couldn't really see them anyway. 

20221021194606-2bee3c61-me.jpg

20221021194606-608f98e6-me.jpg

I picked a resin greebly from my bag of truck greeblies, cut some protruding bits off of it and used it for an AC pump. The engine bay is about where I want it now. I need a radiator cap somewhere, and I think I'll add a washer bottle and a wiper motor, run some random wiring here and there, do some final detail painting, and call this done. I'm quite happy with this actually. 

• Like 11

OK, I'm calling quits on the engine bay, I did all the stuff I said I wanted to do still, and I like how it turned out. 

20221023142256-deb7c32c-me.jpg

20221023142256-a4196a6c-me.jpg

Now, the first thing to do is try to polish out my dirty paw prints. Then put all the chrome bits on and do some detail painting on the exterior (mainly the lettering), not looking forward to that. Lastly, I'll make it look like it's been driven. I don't want to put it away all shiny, it's just not me 🙂 

• Like 11

I added all the chrome pieces. 

20221024210243-7a9b7cc3-me.jpg

Close up, you can see that this was a quick paint job. The orange peel is definitely there. 

Carefully painted the lettering on the sides which turned out reasonably well. I see now, looking at the picture above, that I forgot the Ford badge on the rear.

20221024210244-28e3de75-me.jpg

I'm happy enough with the lettering on the front. 

20221024210244-4e0d1ee0-me.jpg

Some more detail painting needed later, but I can now put in the lenses. 

Wheels are done as well. 

20221024211005-927b500b-me.jpg

• Like 10

Hi Jeroen,  your engine bay looks great - you really nailed it!  You mentioned the orange peel, from the photos it doesn't look too bad.  I saw your note on the previous page that you didn't wet sand etc.  Aside from being a bit brighter, I wouldn't be surprised if the paint might look like what you'd see on a 1:1 after so many years?  a daily driver?  Slotted wheels look nice too!  I'm looking forward to seeing this when you're done!

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1

I wouldn't get too worked up about the orange peel - I think most builds have this to a greater or lesser degree. Even if it is bothering you (and it sounds as though it isn't), too late to do anything about it now without risking further damage. It's always a balancing act anyway is polishing - too little and it barely makes a difference, too much and you burn through to the primer. And the tipping point between the two is crossed very, very quickly! Given how most of it has a decent shine on it anyway, and the bits showing orange peel are going to or already have bits of chrome and other detailing on I think you'll be fine - it's shaping up nice and good to see you being drawn to the shiny end of the spectrum ;)

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

I saw your note on the previous page that you didn't wet sand etc. 

Thanks Nick, indeed I didn't wet sand because this build was scheduled to be a clunker but things turned out differently 🙂 

13 minutes ago, Spiny said:

I wouldn't get too worked up about the orange peel - I think most builds have this to a greater or lesser degree. Even if it is bothering you (and it sounds as though it isn't), too late to do anything about it now without risking further damage. It's always a balancing act anyway is polishing - too little and it barely makes a difference, too much and you burn through to the primer. And the tipping point between the two is crossed very, very quickly! Given how most of it has a decent shine on it anyway, and the bits showing orange peel are going to or already have bits of chrome and other detailing on I think you'll be fine - it's shaping up nice and good to see you being drawn to the shiny end of the spectrum ;)

Thanks, I'm not overly bothered about the orange peel, it doesn't show from normal viewing distance. I would have used different paint, had I wanted this to be truly shiny. The little VW Beetle I did a while back has been the only one where I really went for it, and it turned out great but it's not really my thing. Don't get your hopes up on the shiny part too much by the way, there will be some weathering on this thing. It will definitely have a daily driver look when I'm done. 

Final WIP shots. Time to get this thing on the road. 

20221025174000-78764cee-me.jpg

In the end, I didn't bother with custom plates and just put one of the supplied plates on. 

20221025173959-d4690277-me.jpg

Revell have the nasty habit of providing 2 plates on the decal sheet but only providing one plate holder. I want to get this thing done today so I just left the front one off. I know, it's easy to cut a piece of card, paint it and stick the decal on but really, I already spent way more time on this than anticipated so I just want to get it done. I need to finish my low loader over in Revell Classic GB!

Mind you, despite wanting to get this off the bench, I had a good time detailing the engine bay to a level I didn't get to for other cars I've built. Well, there haven't been that many actually. 

Anyway, next post is RFI. 

• Like 8

Alright, just some teasers then. I'll take better pics in natural light later, maybe tomorrow. 

This is the underside, it's on its wheels now and I won't be flipping it over ever again. The wheels were a bit of a pain to get on by the way. The system Revell made up to attach them is crap. If you ever build this, don't use the minescule metal pins that come with the kit. I should have taken better note of Anteaters build before I started. 

20221025213851-cef7890a-me.jpg

Also, the stance is a little silly. Again, I just jumped into this build. It may be a Starsky & Hutch thing but I don't really like it. Not going to loose a minute of sleep over it though. 

20221025213852-18909773-me.jpg

You can see that it has become a little more than a daily driver, my guess is there was a long trip through the desert or something, could have been a weekend trip to Vegas maybe. 

My photo lamps make every speck of paint on the body reflective, it doesn't look like this with the naked eye. Natural light will probably tone that down some. 

20221025213853-3d25b083-me.jpg

With sincerest apologies to @keefr22 and @Spiny. The shiny didn't take 🙂 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

No need for apologies Jeroen - it's your model and you built it as you wanted. And tbh I actually really like the result, the dirt looks pretty good and not overdone! :)

Great result and I enjoyed watching it come together!

Keith

PS I'm with you on the stance though!! 

• Like 1