USAAF insignia sizes

Vingtor

Was there standard sizes for the USAAF "star and bar"? I have seen documentation on 40", 45", 50" and 55" so I wonder if these were among standard sizes, or if they came in any size.

Nils

1 hour ago, Vingtor said:

Was there standard sizes for the USAAF "star and bar"? I have seen documentation on 40", 45", 50" and 55" so I wonder if these were among standard sizes, or if they came in any size.

Nils

I think there wre specfied sizes, the markings were factory applied.   As to what, in USAAF I think often sized to fit.    @Dana Bell @Tailspin Turtle may know more, but there are dimensions given in the Ducimus monographs, which are scanned here

https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Camouflage-Markings

a browse may give some answers.

HTH

Thanks Troy. I do have the Ducimus monographs (collected in bound volumes for RAF and USAAF), and it was there I found the sizes mentioned.

Forgot to say that I am specifically interested in the C-47 Skytrain and the UC-64 Norseman.

Nils

1 minute ago, Vingtor said:

Forgot to say that I am specifically interested in the C-47 Skytrain and the UC-64 Norseman.

You may wish to consider editing your thread heading to "insignia sizes for C-47 Skytrain and the UC-64 Norseman"  and see if anyone has the factory specifications.   Experience here shows that specific questions generate more interest, and better answers.  

HTH

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Vingtor said:

Thanks Troy. I do have the Ducimus monographs (collected in bound volumes for RAF and USAAF), and it was there I found the sizes mentioned.

Nils

According to the  1964 version of 1-1-4 (which of course didn't exist in WW II but the size of the insignia stayed the same, but odd ball exceptions can always be found), both the wing and fuselage on the C-47 should have a 50" star.

Later,

Dave

And note that the size of the US insignia is always specified by the diameter of the circle that circumscribes the star and NOT the outer edge of the blue border. 

Edited by Space Ranger

7 hours ago, Space Ranger said:

And note that the size of the US insignia is always specified by the diameter of the circle that circumscribes the star and NOT the outer edge of the blue border. 

Good point!