SAAB J 29 F "Tunnan", How to Fly a Barrel

Zack

So...
Saturday I went to my local dealer in order to spend some money returned by the taxman earlier this year.
High on the wish list and already out of the box and on the bench in my fantasies was (IS) the Tarangus 1/48 Lansen.
Boy was I surprised when I got home with the (not so recent any more) Fly 1/32 Tunnan instead!

Here is daddy's new toy:
2v2e3Wkn8x6eHcV.jpg

And here is Lucky with his new toy:
2v2e3Wkpux6eHcV.jpg

Now let me tell you - I had been warned!
Not about this kit in particular but I am still struggling with the 1/32 Hurricanes 32012 & 32017.
I knew that since the release in February there has been very little traffic on the subject.

@Homebee 

ZIP

Nada
Nulli

Which is never a good sign.

So what's the deal?

Sheer size of the fuselage is impressive:
2v2e3WkCax6eHcV.jpg

2v2e3WkgZx6eHcV.jpg

But mold quality is so so:
2v2e3WkSJx6eHcV.jpg

That is the afterburner ring behind all flash and those two V shaped things are parts for the front wheel assembly.
This is in 1/32, surely we could have been offered resin part and some PE parts for better presentation?

The intake is a two part assembly split along the length:
2v2e3WkWQx6eHcV.jpg

That is going to be very difficult to clean and smoothen to acceptable standard.
Exhaust is the same.

Resin parts:

2v2e3WkfHx6eHcV.jpg

Some are very nice, here the seat:
2v2e3Wk6Zx6eHcV.jpg

And the cockpit tub:
2v2e3WktUx6eHcV.jpg

Not really sure how to approach that part, I am considering cutting it in two parts along the middle to allow painting of those very nicely detailed sidewalls.

But hey, some of the hawk eyed among you may have already noticed a problem:
2v2e3WkY9x6eHcV.jpg

2v2e3WkAax6eHcV.jpg

All of the bigger parts are in the same bag as the VERY tiny bits on the runners above and are off course nocked off, here the debris:

2v2e3WkcJx6eHcV.jpg

2v2e3WNL8x6eHcV.jpg

The little white pill is for my blood pressure, will probably need to increase the dose slightly.

So - I guess this is to some extent to be expected but there are some serious flaws that are just unnecessary.  

Anyone out there who can share some experience and/or some handy tips and tricks?
They would sure come in handy.

Lucky - now deeply concerned:

2v2e3WkhHx6eHcV.jpg

Anyway - it is going to be a challenge.

Stay sane and Happy Modelling

Zack 

• Like 12

Hyvää huomenta Antti,

Tre kronor it is :
2v2e3FZjNx6eHcV.jpg

Not sure about the squadron or call sign quite yet but it will be bare metal with some colorful markings.

As soon as I figure out AOA this thread opens again under the WIP section.
"How to FLY a Barrel".
Might take a while - I am contacting FLY to get clarification on how EXACTLY they want you cut down the seat and cockpit.

Following the destructions is a no-go...

Stay  safe, stay sane and Happy Modelling.
Zack

PS. not sure how it looks in your part of the world but in the northern hemisphere the autumn has arrived with magnificent colors :D 
2v2e3FZjNx6eHcv.jpg
Enjoy!

• Like 5

Really what you're showing here is pretty familiar to anyone who has built kits from this kind of manufacturers... that have to be praised since they are giving us subjects that the "big ones" would never touch (can't imagine Tamiya doing a 1/32 Tunnan...) but of course their production methods result in problems like these. I agree that some parts would have been better cast in resin, I guess that in the end they had to choose a compromise between the need for more defined details in some areas and cost.

Only advice really here is... patience. I would also probably replace the intake with a plastic tube, there are a couple companies selling polystyrene tubing of various diameter, it's worth checking if there's any of the size you need. I've found how it's often much easier to replace similar parts with tubes rather than trying to sort the seam between parts in a short run kit...

I've not build this specific kit but I've had to deal with a similarly made resin cockpit in a 1/72 MiG-21... in my case I decided to remove the upper sidewalls only as really with a small brush it was possible to pick all other details. I have a feeling that with a 1/32 cockpit it could be possible to paint everything even leaving the part as it is.. but it's your kit and your blood pressure here, so you may prefer to remove them...

One thing I often do with these kits is to enhance all panel lines with a scriber. This really to make more similar across the whole surface as short run kits often have uneven panel lines.. and of course, since they often require sanding, deeper panel lines suffer less risk of being obliterated during the construction....

Looking forward to the finished model ! I'm pretty sure it will be quite a challenge, but the final result promises to be impressive

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @Orso

Björn,
I did see that.
Then it went all silent.
And I guess this is the point I wanted t discuss - was there just a flat tire?
So much anticipation and a little short shot in the delivery?
RESIN2detail have released an intake, an afterburner and a boarding ladder.
https://www.resin2detail.com/

Hi @Giorgio N
Giorgio (and all),

I am sorry if my post came across as an attempt to ditch the kit.
That was not my intention, I do agree that the short runs and their manufacturers have an important role in the market place.
My discussion topic was more around my thoughts on why the traffic just faded out and maybe more important - what are the pitfalls are and if there any tips and tricks to share.
And your tips are already absorbed in my build plan - here is some electric tubing that I hope to give the right "tapered" shape with some hot baths and a hair dryer.

2v2e3rpNWx6eHcV.jpg

And I get your point about enhancing the panel lines, not sure how but I will figure it out ;)
There is a first for everything...

So, thank you for your comments and as usual:
Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling!

Zack

• Like 2

Zack. nothing to worry about, I never thought you were criticising the kit or the manufacturer. My thoughts about short run kits were just in general.

As to why there's very little discussion about this kit, I believe that it's simply something covering a pretty small niche so that only a few modellers would likely have bought and then built one. Had it been a very popular subject I'm sure there would have been plenty of build threads in discussion forums... but then of course had it been a popular sibject someone like Revell would have issued a kit 🤣

I've not built this kit (1/32 isn't really my scale) but what suggestion I can offer just comes from having built many other short run kits of varying quality. Regarding panel lines, the best way to enhance them is to run a scriber into the existing lines. Often I have better results pushing the scriber rather than pulling but careful, whenever pushing a scriber the risk of slipping outside the existing line is high. If you don't have a scriber you can use the steel tip of a compass, even better if this is inserted into a pin-vice. Never apply too much pressure while doing this kind of work, a number of light passes are much better than a single heavy passage.

Since you're building Fly's Hurricane you have sure already found out that some good work preparing the parts before assembly is better than having to sort at a later time with sandpaper and filler. This will be even more important here with a natural metal surface. Test fitting everything is the key here !

One aspect I often find frustrating in short run kits is the absence of good aligment tabs for cockpits, wheel wells and similar parts. To sort this it's often useful to glue strips of plastic inside the fuselage to give some support to whatever has to go inside. One other trick I often use is slylicone sealant to keep the parts in place. Alternatively I use a good quantity of 2-component epoxy. The reason for this is that often even with added tabs the alignment of the parts is hard to maintain so my approach is that whenever I manage to find a decent alignment I use an adhesive that I know will not be dislodged by the rest of the construction process. Sylicone works well although does not guarantee a "rigid" connection... that is sometimes a good thing as a less rigid joint will be less likely to detach in case of hits. Epoxy is better in terms of rigidity of course.

That I sometime have to use the same technique when building "mainstream" kits tells a lot about how certain manufacturers approach their kits... but this ia totally different story...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@Zack this seems like a Work in Progress, as there's lots of sticking of parts together, so I've put it in there instead of where it was (I've already forgotten where - that's scary).  Keep on sticking :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you Giorgio!
Thank you Mike!

Sticking is about to happen :D
Sprue is cut, resin is sanded and so far 3 (unsuccessful) attempts have been made at the PVC plastic tubes.

Stay sane & Happy Modelling
Very Best Regards
Zack

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Dear all,
Sprue is cut and the fun has begun.
Dry fit of the fuselage halves, some styrene strip to aid the assembly and function as locating tabs.
Fit is OK and shape looks good :)

2v2e9tdp2x6eHcV.jpg

View through the intake reveals what can become a bit of an issue, the cokpit resin tub is in conflict with the engine intake tubing.

2v2e9tdc3x6eHcV.jpg

Not sure if that is going to be a big issue, the cockpit floor will need some rework anyway  (picture posted for discussion purpose - will take down on request)

2v2e9t5Sux6eHcV.jpg

I have split the cockpit resin tub in two in order to have better access to detailing and painting the side walls.

2v2eUyzC2x6eHcV.jpg

Some resin parts from Resin2 Detail have arrived - I am looking forward to this :D

2v2eUyzL3x6eHcV.jpg

Very nice detail

2v2eUyzgvx6eHcV.jpg

Maestro Models intake, I opted for this as well to see if it can help sorting the issue mentioned above

2v2eUjSEex6eHcV.jpg

close up and comparison to the R2D part

2v2eUjSaQx6eHcV.jpg

As already said, this is a long anticipated kit, in fact my LHS suggests that part of the reason the kit doesn't get more press is that most of the presumed buyers have gone into retirement while waiting...
An it is still a short run - more like a vacform then injection molded if you see what I mean....
Last time I mention this, scouts honor - now get on with it and stop wining ;)

The kit is going to be part of a Sweden 500 Years 2023 challenge :)

I have been stashing up and look forward to this, cheers looking at you Marlin (Bosse) 🍻

J8 Gloster F 8
J8 Gloster F 19 (inbound) 
J29 Tunnan
J32 Lansen
J37 Viggen (inbound)
+ S31 Spitfire if I can obtain it (Airfix PR. XIX A05119 sadly OOP) 😕

And (in different section):
Strv 103
Strv 121

Stay safe, satay sane and happy modelling :)

Very Best Regards

Zack

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• Zack changed the title to SAAB J 29 F "Tunnan", How to Fly a Barrel

Thank you Marlin,
small progress but in this build anything & everything counts.

I would need a bit of help on the wheel wells, detail from the kit is sparse and what I found so fare on the net is very limited

Here is what I am dealing with for the main:

2v2euAnNnx6eHcV.jpg

That is a resin part - detail is OK'ish, I lack reference and would need help with more/better detailed pictures :)

2v2eu1eznx6eHcV.jpg

Thing is I would like to close up the fuselage early since I think the main structure will need a bit of attention.

And in order to do so I need the main wheel wells and the cockpit tub in there.

Intake is in conflict with the tub, I (hope I) can deal with that.

This is the afterburner section as depicted by the friends over @ resin2detail.com

2v2euAn5Gx6eHcV.jpg

Now that can only be assembled prior to closing up the fuselage.

So I am thinking ... I get a good measure on the internals and build a support structure:

2v2eutm7kx6eHcV.jpg

And then I close the hull and cut out an opening in the rear section to allow me to insert the afterburner assembly later :D

All comments welcome - anyone with ideas or thoughts please chip in ...

Best Regards

Zack

• Like 6

And here we go;

Lucky is always up for a long walk but Säve is 20 kilometers from home.
So no walk.
But exiting still :D

2v2euVQUqx6eHcV.jpg

Säve used to be Göteborgs military airport.
Home of the "Tunnan" in its days.

Today a Military aviation museum.

2v2euVQudx6eHcV.jpg

The bunker, the first out of five planned to be built strong enough to nuclear weapons, is massive.
Construction was supposed to withstand all possible attacks. 

2v2euVQJyx6eHcV.jpg

And here we go.
"Tunnan"

2v2euVZJFx6eHcV.jpg

They do display almost anything that has ever taken off the airfield:
Tunnan, Draken, Viggen loads of helicopters and they will have a Gripen after Christmas.
I have taken loads of pictures, focus is on the "Tunnan" and I have been promised to get a ladder to allow me to take pictures of the cockpit as well.
Maybe even inside :D

Inspired I went home and pulled out the sharp razor blade 😐

2v2euVZMyx6eHcV.jpg

The First Cut Is the Deepest

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5NRH_DxWJE

Crazy days - stay safe, stay sane and keep up, better days will come!

Zack

• Like 6

@TheBaronThank you so much for the encouraging words Tony, much appreciated!

It is indeed a very engaging and interesting subject.

Resemblance to the swept wing of the ME-262 is obvious, there was probably quite a bit of trade going on were information changed hands.

Swept wing is pilvinge in Swedish, translates to arrow wing.

But not only the SAAB (Svenska Aeroplan Aktie Bolaget) engineers learned and benefited here. 
J 29 Tunnan flew for the first time in August 48.
The F-86 Sabre in October 47

The MIG 15 in December 47

On with the show and steady hand now...
(Cheers Looking @ You,  @corsaircorp)

2v2euVZ8dx6eHcV.jpg

Voila

2v2euVQ3Gx6eHcV.jpg

More work will be required to blend the resin part into the fuselage

2v2euVQvnx6eHcV.jpg

2v2euVQoNx6eHcV.jpg

There should be aboslutely no step as shown here:

2v2eugV2jx6eHcV.jpg

Next up is the cockpit tub and the ejection seat.

Looking forward to blowing some life into this section since the resin looks nicely detailed.

Wish you all a really nice and productive weekend :D

Stay safe, stay sane and happy modelling!

Zack

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Will follow here as well, I promise not to disturb this build too much (but I cant promise that I will keep this promise).

Ihave the 1/48 Hobby Boss in my stash, will be a much more average build than your attempt. But at least some background information we probably can share.

On 10/4/2022 at 7:47 AM, Zack said:

Tre kronor it is

And of course this is the OTHER available livery of this little jalopy which I will NOT build mine in. One of the very rare chance to build something of a patriotic topic, innit?

On 11/15/2022 at 7:15 PM, Zack said:

I would need a bit of help on the wheel wells,

Unfortunately this is the first part where I cannot help, thoughI thought I could. I remembered that I took some pictures recently, but it didn't reveal anything from the inside of the wells.

44739498xl.jpg

We have a J29 standing around here in Vienna - I do have the chance and drop by, so can make some pictures now and then.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was just stumbling around the site and discovered your build. What an interesting aircraft and model.  Lucky is doing a great job of keeping you on track😄

• Like 1

I have built the model it's some pictures of it in the "Ready for inspection" forum.

Some tips, the front landing gear on the model is not so easy to assemble I can really recomend Maestro Models-J29 Tunnan corrected nose gear 3D print.

The model have a frame round the hood it shouldn't be one on the front it's just plexiglass. 

I took this picture at the F 10 museum. 

spacer.png

And here are som pictures of the main gear I took them at the F 15 museum.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Anders E

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dear All,
Thank you for taking interest in this build, your input and comments are allways most wellcome!

I am not clever enough to understand how you manage to get more then one quote into a reply so i will just go slow here...

@Biggles87
I share the fascination, sort of a guppy (think Dory), but I guess that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder"...

@Chief Cohiba
Please join and "disturb" as much as you like, most wellcome!
Nice reference picture and I am looking forward to your "1/48 Hobby Boss"! 
My father was based in Vienna for 5 years and we wanted to see the J29 on display but we never got around to.
To much Wiener Schnitzel and Zipfer I guess :D

@Prop Duster
Stumble in, take a seat, join the ride... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xCorJG9mubk

Lucky says hello Dusty!

@Anders E

WOW COOL!
Here is Anders completed build - first Fly I have seen completed -  and very well done!!

With the picks submitted by @Chief Cohiba I am on a roll with the wheel wells now ;)

Thank you all for taking your time and your interest, much appreciated!

And last but not least, 
TGIF (cheers looking you m8 @corsaircorp)

2v2eEk5Fkx6eHcV.jpg 

Wish you all the very best weekend !

Zack

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dear All,
Battling on.

I mentioned there is an issue with the assembly of the air intake and the cockpit tube:

I am fighting this as follows:
I have cut the tub in three pieces and I am going to let the stearing column, the IP and the seat sit directly on the tube:
2v2eE7bHUx6eHcV.jpg

In doing the dry assy's I dropped the IP coaming and tried to catch it with my legs.

And I succeeded...

But broke the part in two.

2v2eE7bu2x6eHcV.jpg

DennisGoToBed...

As always;
Stay safe, stay sane and Happy Modelling!

Zack

• Like 2
  • Sad 1