Subaru Impreza WRX by Hasegawa in 1/24 - not very well taken care of, I'm afraid

This started as a training exercise for me in regards to chipping fluid. I wanted something fairly easy and inexpensive to try it out on, and I also wanted some big, rather flat surfaces since I thought that would be the easiest. In my stash I found an old kit that I started building sometime around -98 or -99 that got boxed when my first kid was born. Said and done, the kit re-emerged on the bench and I started building. I completely left out all the "outer" rally components, and the only "rally" that's left is the rollcage inside and the absense of rear view mirrors. 

I primed the kit's body and underside in UMP Rust Primer and then sprayed all of it in Ammo Mig chipping fluid. The top color is Mr. Hobby Aqueous flat red with a bit of black mixed in. I used both brush and cotton swab to remove the top layer and let the rust be visible. Then I did a lot of weathering with Mr. Hobby Aqueous Rust, Ammo Mig dry brush paint in various colors, Tamiya Panel Liner and probably something more that I've forgotten already. And yes... I'm aware that I should have weathered it a lot more around the rear wheel arches. Maybe next time I won't be so lazy and actually get a picture for reference...

In my head the topic for the build is: "What a shame that people don't take better care of their old rally cars". I had a blast building this and trying out chipping fluid.

All the best!

y4mfQSXfo1Ir8qBoJTSBrEYZ2aHo5H8VO1sT8mYo

y4mqh7K-3TP1Q-uxPDMmrvJGwKfzx3A6ZeadyElu

y4mvRx3qcgtDQoeomfgluN-eMpH_bQSR5Zn_jYGV

y4m9dnZzPbgB_AEKjcbSM2QkggP0Tj8XEyqcnTqz

y4mJboJnB9C2W8GUv2SQQW7_81UaGTD_MhIpauIR

y4mGbue5q4JzdQXsPIyTCppRXcw9NbjC9as_9Ndo

y4m3tSdWXa4ZrG7Fz0vvV-tuJJ66i5aQTvBq9Wci

y4mM-g-uf5gviPR1CojxrPVFnuESpmXcosI0EP3c

y4mq5nYzYJMYlzH1Meu97IvPg9JA7K05_poimYDf

y4mVzyDiW5dMte1B7kUgmimb_eGuvt9b2Ju0cGZM

y4mQ18fdh9iKfSJiD3dNyp6K7vPBiKRK6X6I7Q1q

• Like 19

14 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

I really like this look. This is masterpiece.

Why, thank you very much, Vesa! Even though I mostly did it for the training exercise, I'm actually quite pleased with the outcome 🙂

11 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Well it's certainly different! Nice barn find Scooby - cool weathering job!

Keith

Thank you! Barn find, that's a very good description! I live in Sweden, and this is probably something you could find in a barn somewhere in the woods in northern Sweden. Not that I have ever found anything up there (I live in the very south), but I suppose one could!

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Vince1159 said:

Nicely done and very neglected (does it come with a road worthiness certificate)...

Thank you! I really hope no one tries to drive it!

5 hours ago, Windy37 said:

If that was actual L555BAT , found in a barn I dread to think how much it would be worth !!

Looks properly neglected. 

Gary . 

Thank you! Neglected it is, indeed. Colin would not be happy :-)

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Dunderklumpen said:

Colin would not be happy :-)

Neither would dad Jimmy, because I think he still owns it and if it ended up in a barn in Sweden it must have been stolen....!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/4/2022 at 10:19 PM, Spiny said:

It certainly doesn't look like a training exercise. I must admit that producing a weathered car doesn't really appeal to me, but you've done a good job here.

Thank you very much for those kind words!

On 10/4/2022 at 11:40 PM, PatW said:

Super weathering/rusting job!

Thanks! Had a blast building it!

On 10/5/2022 at 7:05 AM, JeroenS said:

Very nice barn find! Looks convincing. Maybe just spray some dust on the front lights and the windows, they're rather clean!

That's a very good idea! They do look a bit clean, don't they...

On 10/9/2022 at 10:42 PM, desert falcon said:

That is indeed a sad looking Impreza … 👍 

Indeed! We can only hope that no one ever finds such a sad looking car!

• Like 2

On 10/18/2022 at 8:55 AM, galaxyg said:

Fantastic weathering especially on the underbody - looks 100% realistic rust.

Thank you very much for those kind words!

On 10/19/2022 at 8:21 AM, HOUSTON said:

AWESOME.

Very Authentic indeed.     :goodjob:  :wow::yahoo:

Thanks a lot!

On 10/21/2022 at 8:14 PM, Toftdale said:

Really great job on the weathering, you would never guess it was a practice.   The only constructive criticism I could make is that the glass looks too clean for the car - Andy 

Thank you! I totally agree on the glass. I'll take it out of the cabinet some day and spray some dust on them.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2022 at 4:23 AM, kapam said:

Looks very cool!

I'd say your experiment was a success. 👍👍

If I had a real WRX (I don't) I would hope to keep it in better shape, but it is by no means guaranteed. 🙄

Thanks! I would think that it would be quite an easy task to keep the car in better shape than this one. I mean, just wash it once every year or so would probably do the trick 🙂