My first Tiger 1 "late" Normany 1944 Villers-Bocage

I think i call this one done. It's the Tiger 1 "late" from Airfix.

I used this model to learn about the Tiger since i want to build the 222. That Tiger was supposedly "borowed" by Michael Wittmann during the battle at Villers-Bocage.

This Airfix model went together without any major issues in the build itself. The problem i have with this kit is that Airfix provides so much "wrong" parts in this kit that you have to really be carefull and study the instructions, dry fit everything and then realise that you still glued the wrong parts together.

I made my own zimmerit from Tamiya epoxy putty. It's a skill in itself and i don't know yet if i will do it with the next Tiger build. That beeing said, i managed to pull of a descent looking heavily damaged zimmerit on this one.

In the end i have to say i didn't "feel" this kit.... so lot's of mistakes in painting and weathering. Note to self: when no mojo, just put the kit aside 😉

This one i pushed across the finishline to be done with it. So there are many flaws. It is not my best work. 

Not all is bad though. This was a great subject to learn a few new tricks. 

Anyhow, here are the photo's. Any critique is more than welcome. Thanks for watching.

Also a big shoutout to the guys on the Tiger 1 tread! They really know their stuff and they are a great help!!! Tnx guys!!!! 🙏🙏🙏

20221003-124948.jpg

20221003-125015.jpg

20221003-125044.jpg

and in color.....

20221003_125044.jpg

20221003_124948.jpg

20221003_124913.jpg

20221003_125015.jpg

20221003_125129.jpg

Edited by Maddoxx77
  • Like 24
  • Thanks 1

Hi Maddoxx,

Despite all the problems you mention, it's a good job. It can always be done better, and as you say, if the mojo is not on our side, it is better to leave the kit, because the result will surely be mediocre at best... I know what it's like to have to try to fit pieces dry, and still put them upside down....lol...(damn)...although in my defense, a lot of times the instructions for the small pieces are really bad, imprecise, too small to be able to appreciate differences in shape... In any case, when you finish a model, as you rightly point out, you learn something, the good and the bad that was done. I have a Tiger in the stash (as any of us imagine...lol), and I never get around to doing it, since I would be very annoyed to do a mediocre job for such an icon... In any case, when you finish a model, as you rightly point out, you learn something, the good and the bad that was done.

Cheers and TC

Francis.👍

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Considering you were trying out some tricky modelling techniques for the first time I think it has turned out rather well and, by pushing yourself, you've probably learned more from building that toughy than you would from a straight ootb build. The zimm looks really good, especially on the black and white photos. Onwards to your next build.👏👍

• Thanks 1

Great looking Tiger, the Zimmerit looks just right. I've used Eduard PE Zim on my Tiger & Panther which is painless. I've got an Academy StuG IV in the stash which I'll be putting home made Zimmerit on as the PE costs more than the kit did! I've read that No Nails is good for this so will have to bite the bullet.

Pete

• Thanks 1