Remove before flight tags - RAF/FAA

Simon Cornes

I need to buy some RBF tags in 1/48 for a couple of Harrier builds. In your opinion, which are the best RBF tags available? I see Hannants have some very cheap Airwaves ones and then there is Eduard colour etch - but is it coloured on both sides? 
i need to get hold of some so would appreciate your opinion please!

Thank

I have the Eduard colour UK tags in 1:72nd and can confirm that they are coloured on both sides.  Haven't actually used them on anything yet, so can't comment on how they are - but they look good 🙂

Al.

1 hour ago, Simon Cornes said:

Thank you Al and attach. So Eduard might well be the way to go then? Thank you for your opinion

They certainly look good.  Have not had a chance to use any yet, though.  Not entirely sure how I'm going to attach these to the airframe.  There's a small hole in the top where you could probably thread some cotton through, whether my eyes are up to that is a different matter!  Might just be a case of glue them where they need to go..  

Al.

54 minutes ago, alhenderson said:

They certainly look good.  Have not had a chance to use any yet, though.  Not entirely sure how I'm going to attach these to the airframe.  There's a small hole in the top where you could probably thread some cotton through, whether my eyes are up to that is a different matter!  Might just be a case of glue them where they need to go..  

Al.

I have seen 5 amp fuse wire used - much easier to superglue to something!

• Like 1

Simon, years ago I was shown a link to a site where you could copy and print out a whole sheet of them for free.

I'll dig them out tomorrow and see if there is a link on the sheet. Yes, they were 1/48th.

2 minutes ago, scotthldr said:

Yip Eduard ones are the danglies and attach with 5A fuse wire, or get a bit of flex cable and strip out the cores. Remember to roll the tags between your fingers to give them that natural moving in the wind appearance.

Ooh, another top tip! I did think they might look a bit too 'straight'..

On 03/10/2022 at 21:28, alhenderson said:

Ooh, another top tip! I did think they might look a bit too 'straight'..

Agreed and they also got dirty and "well worn" very quickly.  As I recall, the "life" of a tag was around 6 months to a year after which they were undeniably "tatty"

• Like 1

We've reviewed a couple here:

I like the 3D printed ones best, as they're easier to crumple, and look a bit like the material used for the real ones.  In answer to your earlier question, both types are printed on both sides.  The 3D ones are printed have printed text on the "decal" side, which is logical really, but quite a shock when you first see them :shocked:

Thanks Mike. I’m working on the principal that U.K. aircraft have mainly the red and white striped variety although I note that you should check your references. I’m not sure about the 3D printed ones - I see you had to cut them out pretty tightly, is that due to continuous carrier film or just to remove what’s their around the edge as usual? I wasn’t sure why they included a ring - would not a hole in the tag have been better? 
it’s one of those subjects where once you have used them you probably know what you like best and that’s that but i have never felt the need to use then before- but we live, learn and the use!!

Haven't seen it mentioned but printed red/white paper ones are also available from Flightpath, £1.60 a throw in 1/72nd. Well, I'm assuming they're paper because AFAIK Flightpath don't do pre-coloured PE,and these need folding around a bit of wire. I seem to recall once using some in 1/48th, which I think came in his Lightning detail set - there's one still dangling from the end of the pitot anyway, however it got there.

Paul.

12 hours ago, Mike said:

We've reviewed a couple here:

I like the 3D printed ones best, as they're easier to crumple, and look a bit like the material used for the real ones.  In answer to your earlier question, both types are printed on both sides.  The 3D ones are printed have printed text on the "decal" side, which is logical really, but quite a shock when you first see them :shocked:

The ones with "Remove before Flight" on them are American and not generally used on UK Jets. You will see them on the safety devices of American weapons such as sidewinders in UK service but never on pylons. If the original US RBF flag is damaged it will be usually replaced with a British red/white RBF flag.

Selwyn

31 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

The ones with "Remove before Flight" on them are American and not generally used on UK Jets. You will see them on the safety devices of American weapons such as sidewinders in UK service but never on pylons. If the original US RBF flag is damaged it will be usually replaced with a British red/white RBF flag.

Selwyn

That makes sense!

Which is why Flightpath give you half and half, with and without lettering.

Paul.

38 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

Selwyn