MGC GTS Sebring 1968, C1 Models Transkit, Aoshima, 1/24

Journey of a thousand miles, and all:

rear-deck-flipped.jpg

The rear deck of this racer is ready to carry a spare wheel, or not... Thanks to an error with the 3D printer files, the resin deck part as supplied in the kit is a mirror image of what it should be. The fuel filler should be on the right, the wheel mount displaced to the left. It's not a tricky fix, especially with the help of the 1:1 drawings in the instructions, but this is how it should look after surgery.

deck-with-wheel.jpg

The first major step is cutting away the rear wheel arches and flattening the back end of the chassis piece:

chassis-plate-trimmed.jpg

You want to get everything level with the top of the ]-shaped raised bit between the arches.

chassis.jpg

The medium-grey and black parts are from the original Aoshima kit (Airfix version). The paler parts are the C1 transkit.

Body looks like this in primer:

body-in-primer-front-left.jpg

body-in-primer-rear-right.jpg

Very impressive, generally. A couple of bubbles and flaws to deal with at the edges, but mostly very well designed and cast. Thoroughly recommended.

best,

M.

• Like 20

Hi,

Very interesting transkit!

It gives this nice sport car a real Rooaaaring race car look.

Great start.

Pascal

• Thanks 1

Oooh, you have my attention. I drive an MGB GT semi-frequently and it's not all that bad. If (when) I won the lottery I'd commission an MG Sebring long before any horrible E-Type or other conventional objects of desire. I'm told the 6-pot is a bit of a boat anchor though, certainly way heavier than the V8 (which in turn was lighter than the B-Series). My car would technically be an MGB Sebring.     

Not a great start with the filler on the wrong side but the casting looks crisp, which is the main thing.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Following along as I have my eye on this set. Almost bought a C GTS replica but went for a sensible blue roadster instead. The GTS was just too much of an unknown as you’re relying on someone else’s work, especially with regards to the body mods. Plus I can’t afford to run one on 3 webers! 

Edge

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, keefr22 said:

But imagine the glorious noise...!! :)

I admit I was sorely tempted & still hanker after one, but as my wife wants to use it too I figured the roadster was a better car for us. Money no object, I’d be off to see Doug at MG Motorsport for a Sebring replica. Back in reality I figure that a good exhaust system & triple SUs, as per the Downton cars, might be more suitable for our bimbling.

Thats after I sort the suspension and steering - it’s like turning a battleship and just as heavy!

Edge

q

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Thank you, gents. Still can't quite get past the fact I can have a concourse Jaguar XKR Coupe for the price of an OK MGC, never mind Sebring replica... but this is a model, right...?

green-body-front-left.jpg

green-body-rear-left.jpg

Tamiya British Green spray, and Meguiars Ultimate Compound to polish it. The fit of the interior seems stellar...

green-body-front-left-valance.jpg

green-body-front-left-head-on.jpg

Tamiya Fluorescent Red for the highlights. The valance is press-fitted to the front of the chassis. When I assemble it for real, it'll be glued in place first, and then become the mating area as the chassis goes back and in to the body. I think adding the valance to the body first and then trying to flex the chassis into place front and back is a recipe for disaster...

minilites.jpg

Minilites done. Stynlrez silver primer: a bright matt silver which seems pretty accurate for the finish on the real things.

best,

M.

• Like 20

I will buy this trans-kit at some point and I have the MGB GT body in my stash too, so I'm following this with great interest.  It looks like it's coming together really well.

For a car that is so often regarded as un-loved, values of real MGCs seem quite robust; I'd quite like to have a full-size MGC Sebring tucked away for occasional use, but I suspect that's going to remain a dream for a long time to come.  Incidentally, I remember seeing a period road test of the MGC GT which included technical data such as the front-rear weight distribution.  Given the criticism you hear of how nose heavy the thing was, I was surprised to read that the actual weight distribution was something like 51% front, 49% rear; I don't doubt that it might have felt worse but I was surprised that it was so close to the theoretically ideal weight distribution.

• Like 1

@johnlambert That's interesting, because I too was always under the impression the C was notoriously nose heavy so I checked and found this:

https://www.mgownersclub.co.uk/mg-guides/mg/mgc-gt

In the end the weight distribution suffered to the extent of 55.7% in the front and 44.3% in the rear against the MGB's 52.5% front; 47.5% rear.

It's an interesting read and they also say: The MGC received probably the harshest reception that any MG had ever experienced and after such comments as 'pig-like understeer' and 'gutless.' It's unusual to find an owner's club being so forthright! They usually praise any old rubbish wearing the favoured badge, but at the risk of sounding like Alan Partridge, they're not my words but the words of the MG Owners Club 😛

From what I recall the V8 GT is meant to be the best balanced of the lot, but nobody's ever let me loose in one those. Quite wisely. 

• Thanks 1

Yes, the GTS ran with an aluminium block and head engine, mounted further back, so I suspect their weight distribution is a little better, especially with a spare wheel on the rear decking! I’ll have to see if the book on my bench has anything to say on the matter…

best,

M.

• Like 1

When I was an undergraduate, the Met had several white MGC roadsters. The only way you could tell they were police cars was if you spotted the 'Toblerone' police light on the boot lid. Since I was driving an Austin-Healey 3000 Mk.II at the time, with essentially the same engine set up as the MGC, I borrowed a friend's to try one. In every way the Healey outclassed the MGC, in my opinion, even on handling!

Maurice

I always liked the look of the C to the B, and GTs over roadsters (aka "bar of soap car" as we called them in our Triumph club!).  I wonder if the stiffness and weight of the GT roof helped rearward weight balance somewhat?

I really like the look of this Sebring model. Thanks for showing how to build the C1 conversion.  I may have to get one if I can get past the concept of the conversion costing more than the base kit...

• Thanks 1

I think the MGC suffered for 2 main reasons. One that it wasn’t a Healey, nor was it substantially better than the outgoing 3000 (but a little better I feel). Secondly, it was too close in looks to the MGB as it shared as much of the B componentry that BMC could.

The combination of the 2, I think, is what made the C a slow seller, despite the best attempts of companies like Downtown to turn it into a better car. It’s short life & budget cuts mean it had a very limited competition life, so little was learned to improve the car during production.

All that said, I love mine. It’s no track weapon, steers like a battleship and drinks fuel like nobody’s business but I can think of few more enjoyable British 6 cylinder ‘sports cars’ I’d rather drive on a sunny weekend.

Edge

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, @Vesa Jussila I’m away from the bench at the moment, but that Octane will be somewhere close at hand when I’m back (the last ten years or so of them are). Trying to find some evidence of whether Mabel’s rear deck interior was still red, and coming up short. I’ll probably assume it was, on the basis it’ll make a more interesting model than everything inside being black. You can see red areas around the door shuts and dash in the cabin, and the engine bay is, so it’s not too much of a stretch.

Best,

M.

• Like 2