Spot of the Day Part 6

bentwaters81tfw

Pulling out of the local BP, in silver, a 23 plate Morgan Super 3. Its the first I've seen and it looked pretty cool. 

Only way to see interesting stuff when you pop out, dont take your phone.

Matt

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Unfortunately as I was driving into the sun the dashcam shot is just full of glare, but on the way back from work tonight an H-reg Hillman Minx Estate. In fact, while trying to find out what it was (I wasn't even born when it was made is my excuse!) I came across a photo of the very same car:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photos-cars/hillman_minx_estate_23.htm

I don't usually put things up without photos, but this seemed the next best thing.

• Like 6

5 hours ago, Spiny said:

Unfortunately as I was driving into the sun the dashcam shot is just full of glare, but on the way back from work tonight an H-reg Hillman Minx Estate. In fact, while trying to find out what it was (I wasn't even born when it was made is my excuse!) I came across a photo of the very same car:

https://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/photos-cars/hillman_minx_estate_23.htm

I don't usually put things up without photos, but this seemed the next best thing.

And I was getting excited there... but it's not a real Minx. I learned to drive in a '64 (poor old chook was only 3 years younger than me). Proppa motor, innit.

Wish I'd kept it, pukkah wood trim, 15" wheels and 1600cc of unstoppable powahhhh!  But seriously, with the long stroke of that old mill, you could pootle around town in 3rd all day, and never need to go into 1st unless you stopped. It was originally an auto, but that didn't do well in the north Queensland wet season (the electrics kept frying), so Dad had a 4 speed fitted.

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Rob G said:

And I was getting excited there... but it's not a real Minx.

Agreed! I'm a little younger but remember my dad having a 'proper' one in, IIRC, two tone white and dark green, followed fairly quickly by a Super Minx that was defnitely two tone light grey and red! :)

Keith

• Like 3

My submission for the worst photo in 'Spot of the day' is

p?i=c64c413339efb31f4c5f81166b1ca5e3

What really worries me though is how I could walk across a carpark, get in the car an not notice the Volvo 850 in full race livery until my good lady had started ro reverse out of our spot!  Oh well at least the photo proves I wasn't hallucinating 😄 - Andy 

• Like 4
  • Haha 6

On 5/27/2023 at 11:31 AM, Rob G said:

And I was getting excited there... but it's not a real Minx. I learned to drive in a '64 (poor old chook was only 3 years younger than me). Proppa motor, innit.

Wish I'd kept it, pukkah wood trim, 15" wheels and 1600cc of unstoppable powahhhh!  But seriously, with the long stroke of that old mill, you could pootle around town in 3rd all day, and never need to go into 1st unless you stopped. It was originally an auto, but that didn't do well in the north Queensland wet season (the electrics kept frying), so Dad had a 4 speed fitted.

I had a sort of similar experience- my parents had a Hillman Hunter station wagon, which I believe was an updated Super Minx more or less, in north QLD in the mid-70s.

It was a manual and it was fine mechanically, but it had all the electrical problems in the world.

Easy enough to push start, fortunately, although that didn't always end happily as the ignition was almost as unreliable as the starter.

Sad really, a missed opportunity for Chrysler Australia as they were genuinely excellent if built properly.

I also had the dubious distinction of being in the back seat of a Super Minx MkII that got T-boned by a truck.

The car only broke where it was severely rusted, an incredibly strong design.

Much later I worked as a road accident researcher and I can say with some confidence that very few cars of that era protected their occupants as well- as long as they were wearing tightly fitting seatbelts...

• Like 3

I really, _REALLY_ don't have any spirit to do any car-spotting yesterday. Maybe because it is part of my current job and I have not been paid this month. But I did not regret actually going out yesterday morning.

IMG-4362.jpg

Did not expect to see the Senna no. 091 again, I thought the owner's just gonna drive it once and never again. Props to him for actually driving it.

• Like 5

On 28/05/2023 at 01:19, rob Lyttle said:

Caught a tasty Ferrari at the lights today.... 

IMG_20230527_141202

IMG_20230527_141213

IMG_20230527_141223

Hard to beat, isn't it? 

Looks like Daniel Wilde from the persuarders is still around..lovely spot 

Marco F 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Something from Warsaw city center:

p?i=791cf2df2c53a1205e404b46cfe96aaa

An old Framo 🤩,  good old two strocker from the GDR,  quite rare nowadays 

Marco F 

• Like 3

Last Sunday there was a classic car rally held within the walls of Lincoln Castle.  Here are some of the many vehicles on display;

spacer.png

RS2000 that belongs to an acquaintance of mine.

spacer.png

Austin Metro. 

spacer.png

1932 Riley Sprite.

spacer.png

Alfa-Romeo SZ

spacer.png

Ford Model T

spacer.png

Volvo Amazon

spacer.png

De Tomaso Pantera

spacer.png

Notchback Ford Mustang

spacer.png

1961 Lotus Elite

spacer.png

Porsche 911

spacer.png

Twin turbo Capri

spacer.png

Austin Morris Ital

Trevor

• Like 17

Around the corner from home last night, a very complete and smart looking rally replica TR7.  Brief glimpse of badge on side may have said 4.0 so presumably V8.

I will have to keep an eye (and ear) out for it again if it’s local…

• Like 3

9 hours ago, klubman01 said:

spacer.png

1961 Lotus Elite

Gorgeous! Look just like the one I owned for two years until I was obliged to return to South Africa at the end of 1973.

Maurice

That looks a great car show, and Lincoln Castle is a pretty special place to be showing them off too. Two things leap out, firstly why is it that with all the nice cars on show I'm strangely drawn to that Mini Metro? And secondly, has someone really put alloys on a Morris Ital???

• Haha 4

My thoughts entirely - it's like putting lipstick on a pig.  🙂

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

That looks a great car show, and Lincoln Castle is a pretty special place to be showing them off too. Two things leap out, firstly why is it that with all the nice cars on show I'm strangely drawn to that Mini Metro? And secondly, has someone really put alloys on a Morris Ital???

It is a great show.  Nice, relaxed atmosphere and loads of visitors.  Due to the size of the venue, only 200 cars are invited to attend, and I was lucky enough to be one of them.

I agree about the Metro.  It is the epitome of ordinary, but charming nonetheless.  As for the Ital, well, who knows?!

Trevor

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Somehow I liked this VW

p?i=0f87c6f85e7c2940ff06ea192c8eda97

Some say this generation of Conti GT errs too far into 'sporty' territory and not enough into 'GT' realm, being a little too stiff. Previous gen seems to fare very well as grand-tourer. However there is no denying this generation looks sensational. Especially in flash colours like this Flame Orange. I'd have mine in Pearl St. James Red, Moroccan Blue, or Apple Green, thanks.

1 hour ago, Vince1159 said:

You and Neddy should relax at the end of the day it's a rebadged icon of cool,it's a Marina...

Y'know, I worry about you sometimes...  :giggle:

• Haha 3

• Mike locked this topic