Spot of the Day Part 6

bentwaters81tfw

Not a classic as such, but..

Delivering to the Sun Inn, Pickering this morning and a large very bright green Scania Artic tractor unit stopped in the traffic with Matthewsons Logo's on it.

It was difficult to see inside the cab due to the sun, but I think it was LHD.

Matthewsons have the garage in Thornton Le Dale and more storage in Pickering.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Rover P4 105S

Brings back memories. A bunch of us had one of these when I was at uni in Dunedin in the early/mid 1970s. My share was to keep it going along with a couple of other old "bombs" a 1950s Humber Hawk among them. Ours was a cream & beige two tone, pretty rough but went like the clappers, stopping wasn't so impressive but it was the sort of vehicle that people got out of your way anyway. It would easily cope with 7 of us for a ski trip to Queenstown. Only got VW chains? no probs, let the tires down a (fair) bit, fit chains & blow them up again, Rover chains now. :) Goodness knows what happened to it, I lost touch with it & the others when I bailed out of uni at the end of my second year, I'd got good passes in drinking beer, chasing girls & fixing old cars, not so much Chemistry, Biology & Physics. They were good days though.

Steve.

• Like 4

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Delivering to the Sun Inn, Pickering this morning and a large very bright green Scania Artic tractor unit stopped in the traffic with Matthewsons Logo's on it.

i'd give my eye teeth to live around there,i'd be broke and spend more time there than the staff but at least i'd be happy....

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

14 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

We're away this week to the north of York and we're having a ride up to Helmsley  ,  Pickering. I'll look out for the Scania . 

Gary . 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Drop into Thornton le Dale. If you can find somewhere to park!

The Matthewsons garage is pretty much only selling memorabilia, and the museum and building at the back were shut when we were there a month or two back. All the cars for sale and to look at are now at the shed in Pickering. As for parking, there's a big car park in the centre of the village in what was a walled garden, which you get into via a not well signposted turnoff to the left a 100m or so along as you head south from the village centre on Maltongate (the Malton road...)

best,

M.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, cmatthewbacon said:

The Matthewsons garage is pretty much only selling memorabilia, and the museum and building at the back were shut when we were there a month or two back. All the cars for sale and to look at are now at the shed in Pickering. As for parking, there's a big car park in the centre of the village in what was a walled garden, which you get into via a not well signposted turnoff to the left a 100m or so along as you head south from the village centre on Maltongate (the Malton road...)

best,

M.

Mathewsons have been in Thornton le Dale for years but I guess TV fame has forced them to the bigger premises in Pickering . Left at the traffic lights in Thornton takes you to Dalby Forest BTW

Gary . 

• Like 2

On 4/10/2023 at 6:00 PM, Pete in Lincs said:

We had a ride onto Pickering industrial estate where Mathewsons seem to have cars everywhere and the Scania you saw was in one of their compounds . Its a long nose , high roof . Too busy to stop , so no photos . 

Then coming through Thornton le Dale in a green Saab 96 was Derek Mathewson . It a had Go Pro camera on the bonnet so maybe he was  filming . Maybe we'll be caught on camera as we approached him ! 

Gary . 

• Like 5

Around noon today in Newark, a black Humber Super Snipe. The early sixties type.

Also, not a car, but a Conquerer 2 Tank. All 65 tons of it, at Thoresby park in Sherwood Forest.

Apparently it cost six grand to move it from Bovington. This from the nice chap who was spraying it green over some red oxide panels.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Around noon today in Newark, a black Humber Super Snipe. The early sixties type.

I have owned three of those! All Series IIIs, the earliest being a 1960. Going round corners was like bringing an aircraft carrier into wind, but rear picnic tables impressed the ladies :)

• Like 6

Two days ago I spotted a burgundy Rover P4 just north of Brands Hatch.  Looked very tidy.  The day before, in the same location, a mid-green Ford Consul (early type), also in great condition.

Trevor

• Like 5

I live not far from Chichester & yesterday evening whilst on the A27 saw a convoy of Belgian registered cars that were clearly heading to the Goodwood Members Meeting (1980s Saab 900 Turbo, Porsche 912 & an Alvis saloon, which I think was a 1940s TA14 or possibly a late '30s ancestor).

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Somehow I liked this one. I just wondered if there ever was GTI cabriolet? 

Not sure about elsewhere in the world, but in the UK, we had the 205 CTi, which was essentially a cabrio GTi, and had the GTi bodykit.

• Like 3

In Brigg around lunchtime. A dark blue K reg Mercedes saloon. A 280 I think. Looking great with the sun shining off the chrome. Showroom condition too.

I've been seeing quite a few old Mercs in this condition. Someone, somewhere, must be doing them up to order.

• Like 4

In Woodhall Spa this morning. Simply parked up outside a house, A Porsche 356 soft top. 

It had an old two letter and three numeral number plate. I thought it was a real one, not a replica.

• Like 3

Back at Jakarta last weekend for a Ramadan event

IMG-2511.jpg

One of only two 991.1 Targa 4S in Indonesia. Unlike the current 992 Targa, previous gen 911 Targas were vastly unpopular here. Dunno why, I think it looks gorgeous.

IMG-2759.jpg

Not a car, I know, but I just cannot miss posting this Aston Martin AMB-001, no. 88 out of 100 built.

IMG-2834.jpg

A photo session on Sunday with this, one of only 150 BMW M3 GTS E92 ever made. Owned by the same guy with the Jet Black Metallic 991 Targa 4S, the family is also a custodian of an Enzo and the only 911 Reimagined by Singer in Indonesia.

IMG-2923.jpg

991.2 GT3 RS Weissach Package. I always maintain that the 991.2 is the peak 911 in terms of design and driving experience, with Speedster and GT3 Touring being the king of the hill, but I would not pass the chance on the GT3 RS.

IMG-2958.jpg

An E36 BMW M3. Looks like an M3 GT Lightweight, but it isn't. If it was an actual M3 Lightweight it would have no rear seat and the centre console would be as well-equipped as a monk's underpants.

IMG-2961.jpg

The 964 Turbo 3.6 in Riviera Blue that I posted once before, now back in its hometown.

IMG-3014.jpg

An Abarth 695 Tributo Ferrari. Basically what happened when Abarth decided to make a 430 Scuderia out of an Abarth 500. It even got the same transmission button cluster as the Scuderia.

IMG-3019.jpg

This 992 GT3 in Crayon is equipped with BBS LM 3-piece wheels in bronze and THICCCCC Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2s. The fitment is sick on this one. Love it a lot.

IMG-3024.jpg

Basically a McDonalds'-spec 488 Pista. Not sure if I'm a fan of the yellow stripe or not. Sometimes I like it sometimes I think it's a bit much.

IMG-3035.jpg

My first encounter with the 765LT Spider. Papaya Spark with carbon bootlid and HRE wheels. I'm a fan of 720S and the LT treatment only made it even more desirable.

• Like 5

A lovely white UR quattro just down the road from us this morning, not seen that round here before, gorgeous looking thing! And to my eyes, a not so gorgeous bright kermit green Lamborghini of some variety - possibly a Mercyletgo or something, not my interest at all tbh. The Audi would certainly find a new home in my garage - the Lambo would be sold to buy one...!! 🤣

Keith

• Like 4
  • Haha 3