Spot of the Day Part 6

bentwaters81tfw

Those big Triumphs are sadly very underrated, and I've always especially liked the estates.  Quite a few years back, in a review of '70s saloons, which included a six cylinder BMW, Classic & Sportscar mag described them as a four door TR6 due to the sporty handling.

• Like 3

I'm in New Mexico with my wife visiting her family here. We went for a short walk around the neighbourhood and I saw a 1949 Pontiac Streamliner Silver Streak, a 1953 Chevy Nomad (both being restored), and a rather nice dark blue Volvo P1800. We also saw a fluorescent lime green Chevy Bolt. I'll try and get photographs - I might give the Bolt a miss because it probably will break my camera!

Maurice

• Like 7

The Chevy Bolt is an electric car currently in production with a range of around 250 miles. My brother-in-law and his wife each have one (one black and one white) but the lime green one I saw was quite startling. I believe GM also sells Bolts in a lurid metallic orange but I am pleased to say I have not seen one yet while over here.

This is the black one - imagine what it would look like in lime green!

IMG-1193.jpg?width=590&height=590&fit=bo

Maurice

• Sad 2

Still in New Mexico. My brother-in-law has a friend who has a restoration business, mainly for 1970s muscle cars. I visited him and saw these in his warehouse waiting for customers to collect them (apart from the Corvette which is his own vehicle).

IMG-0034.jpg?width=493&height=370&fit=bo

IMG-0035.jpg?width=493&height=370&fit=bo

IMG-0041.jpg?width=493&height=370&fit=bo

IMG-0033.jpg?width=590&height=370&fit=bo

IMG-0018.jpg

IMG-0013.jpg

IMG-0050.jpg?width=493&height=370&fit=bo

IMG-0044.jpg?width=493&height=370&fit=bo

IMG-0051.jpg?width=493&height=370&fit=bo

He also has several motorcycles, including two Indians, one from the 1920s and the other from the 1950s, and a horribly over-restored Morris Mini-Minor Traveller that he is trying to sell for $16,000 – way overpriced in my opinion. My phone battery died so I couldn’t get shots of these and several others in the warehouse (there were about 15 cars altogether).

While we’re in Albuquerque, I will definitely visit the Unser Racing Museum which is only about 30 minutes’ walk away from my brother-in-law’s house (yes, people do walk in the United States and walking is the quickest way to reach the museum because of the mess of traffic circulation on the way there). The Unser clan has been in the motor racing field for a hundred years and the museum has many of their vehicles, so it should be quite exciting.

It looks like we may be prevented from returning to France on schedule because we are booked to fly via London and it seems that the UK’s Border Force is going on strike exactly when we are supposed to be transitting Heathrow, so we are trying to find an alternative that avoids Britain. Wish me luck!

Maurice

• Like 10

For those of you who don't remember (and why should you 😅) I inspect pressure systems for a living,  including steam boilers.   Last week on Friday I visited one of my favourite clients as he had a new toy.

A 1936 Sentinel Steam Lorry 

p?i=613c5fa4f29f50d8bbe317715f4a4544

p?i=dcb6d4f350d86a72a355d60d664ea58f

p?i=c78c45c2074f39fb349f416492594df4

Whilst waiting for the boiler to get up to pressure I noticed this in the back of his garage.   An Ogle SX1000

p?i=475dd8ac8d40baaddaf9c62524803c01

He's temporarily storing it for a friend and it holds no interest to him so he knew nothing about it.   It fascinated me, as its a lightweight racing car based on a mini and I don't think I ever seen one in the flesh before. 

Just when I didn't think my day could get any better,  he told me his Brooks steam car was upto pressure and he let me take it out for a little spin.

p?i=e8d370c9d45cd08cb0a670998785bd5b

I'm left handed so It quite tricky for me to drive as its a hand throttle on the right, but as you can see I loved every minute of it - Andy. 

• Like 22

I guess it comes from a childhood spent reading my father's copies of The Automobile magazine, but I have long had a fascination for steam lorries, so a very big thumbs up for that Sentinel!

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Windy37 said:

I've seen Sentinel steam lorries before and often think their cabs look quite modern , like a big sleeper cab .

Gary .

I'd have to agree, for example with this one if Andy hadn't said it was from 1936 (and if it hadn't had all the steaminess going on) I'd have guessed it was 1950s from the styling.

Also, that Ogle is one of the few cars which can sit next to a Mini and still look small. Don't think I've seen one outside of a car show.👍

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Toftdale said:

Just when I didn't think my day could get any better,  he told me his Brooks steam car was upto pressure and he let me take it out for a little spin.

p?i=e8d370c9d45cd08cb0a670998785bd5b

I'm left handed so It quite tricky for me to drive as its a hand throttle on the right, but as you can see I loved every minute of it - Andy. 

I can tell from the look on your face that you absolutely HATED that!

• Haha 2

A couple more seen in the neighbourhood in Albuquerque.

IMG-1033-1.jpg?width=590&height=590&fit=

Nice very early 1970s Pontiac GTO

IMG-1036-1.jpg?width=590&height=590&fit=

IMG-1038-1.jpg?width=590&height=590&fit=

I had to look up this one - it's a Chevrolet Corvair 95 Rampside pickup from 1961-64. Yes - it is indeed a pickup built on the air-cooled rear-engined Corvair chassis and the name is because it has a drop-down ramp on the passenger side to allow access to the load bed. How weird is that?

Maurice

• Like 11

On 12/2/2022 at 8:43 PM, FG2Si said:

Not a car you see in Canada very often. I think this is the second one I've seen. 

i-FvXTpCF-L.jpg

A Few years back, there was a guy in Alton, Hampshire, who had one in Gulf Porsche blue and orange. Looked pretty smart!

Edited by MR2Don
  • Like 1

On 11/12/2022 at 19:52, Bengalensis said:

An excellent day at work!

On 11/12/2022 at 21:07, Admiral Puff said:

I can tell from the look on your face that you absolutely HATED that!

It was fantastic.  However it was tinged with a fare bit of trepidation as this is believed to be to most original steam car that is still runs, the good news its still as original as it was - Andy 

• Like 3

New Mexico is turning out to be a veritable gold mine for interesting cars!

My wife and I took a day trip from Albuquerque to Santa Fe – 75 miles in each direction (uphill, too, rising from 5.000 feet above sea level to 7,500 feet). It only took a little over an hour each way on Interstate 25, since the speed limit is 75 miles per hour and the State Troopers essentially ignore anyone speeding provided they are not travelling at more than 10 miles per hour over the limit.

We were passed by two really unusual cars but, since I was travelling at over 80 miles per hour, it was not safe to take photographs, so I can’t show you. The first was a gorgeous bright red Lancia Fulvia Zagato. I couldn’t tell if it was a 1300 or a 1600, but it was in great shape. These are extremely rare in the Unites States because, as far as I know, Lancia never exported any of the Fulvia series to America. This also is the first Fulvia Zagato I’ve seen since I sold my own 1600 in 1982.

The second was a silver Audi D3-series S8. The only other S8 of this model I’ve ever seen is the (ugly coloured) chocolate brown example that belongs to my brother in Lyon, who managed to persuade his wife to let him buy it by telling her it was a ‘practical’ Lamborghini: all-wheel drive, four doors, big back seat for their two daughters, huge boot for all her luggage -and a 500-hp V-10 for him.

While we were having lunch on the plaza in Santa Fe, we spotted three more interesting cars. First was a gorgeous 1957 Chevy Belair in red and white, then a pale blue Ford Galaxie convertible (1960-ish – I’m not an expert) with the top down even though it was only about 3 degrees C, and finally a really ratty red MGB (wire wheels and real bumpers), also top down.

And the delights continued! Just as we pulled into my brother-in-law’s driveway back in Albuquerque, an early 1970s bright yellow Dodge Challenger shot by!

Sorry – no photographs – all were moving too quickly .

We’re supposed to be here for another week, so who knows what else will show up.

Maurice

• Like 4