Spot of the Day Part 6

bentwaters81tfw

On 3/24/2023 at 7:37 PM, Neddy said:

Possibly a Wolseley Hornet?

It was about the same size, but had a bigger grille and may have been a four door. 

I did a search for 60's FIAT's but no joy there. Ah well, one of lifes mysteries. I imagine it lives in the Grimsby area. Might see it again.

I have a suspicion it might be a Fiat 1100 in that case.  Google it and check the images as there were several variants and model years involved.

On 24/03/2023 at 18:23, Pete in Lincs said:

Late this morning out near Binbrook, a small red car coming towards me. At first I thought Riley Elf. But the grille was a bit too big.

I think it was a small early sixties FIAT. I'm sure I've seen one before, but can't remember the name/number.

Not one of those weird Mitsuoka thingies?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ford Galaxie, Australian ? RHD.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cracking cars

Chris

Definitely not Australian - the only Galaxies we made here (CKD, from kits of bits imported from Canada - one of the vagaries of the then-current import regime) were four-door hardtop sedans. It may have been imported and converted to RHD; more likely to have been done in the UK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Admiral Puff said:

Definitely not Australian - the only Galaxies we made here (CKD, from kits of bits imported from Canada - one of the vagaries of the then-current import regime) were four-door hardtop sedans. It may have been imported and converted to RHD; more likely to have been done in the UK.

Thanks for that info, that's certainly interesting,  if I remember when I next see it I will try and ask the owner to see if they are aware.

Chris

11 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks for that info, that's certainly interesting,  if I remember when I next see it I will try and ask the owner to see if they are aware.

Chris

The instrument panel is from a 1959 Ford, so it's probably a RHD export model produced in Canada (car is a '62).   The '63 and '64 RHD Galaxies had '59 Edsel dashboards.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Six97s said:

The instrument panel is from a 1959 Ford, so it's probably a RHD export model produced in Canada (car is a '62).   The '63 and '64 RHD Galaxies had '59 Edsel dashboards.

Thanks Six97s, that is very interesting info.  I will have a look at it next time I am there and casually mention that to the owner 😉

Thanks

Chris

Today in the local mall car park a 1978 MGB GT rubber bumper type, it looked really nice in a non standard Monza red colour with steel Rostyle wheels & sounded very rorty for a bog standard 1800 motor, maybe it was the straight through looking rear box that did the job on the aurals. Last week while hauling hops a very tidy looking Mini Moke, heading the other way, the plate was a modern one so I'm guessing a restored one or perhaps an import. I saw a lot of other worthy cars over the month of the hop season but never had time to note them & by the time I got home stuffed at night, I was struggling to recall what I'd seen that day. :(

Steve

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Sabrejet said:

And no apologies for posting two shots of the Chevron B16: because it's gorgeous.

You can have that, I'll have the Capri please....!! :)

Nice shots, thanks for sharing.

Kwith

• Like 2

On 3/27/2023 at 6:45 AM, Admiral Puff said:

As well as only importing sedans, I'm also fairly sure Australia did not get Galaxies until 1963, when we got the current US model.

As its top-of-the-range model Ford sold the Australian version of the '59 Fairlane 500 through to 1962.

Chevrolet was the same as Ford in using the same RHD dash over several year models.

My 1962 Chevy had a 1961 dash, which I believe they used for the 1963 RHD cars as well.

Edit: By which I meant, the RHD dash in that '62 Galaxie could be from an Australian Ford.

Edited by Zephyr
  • Like 2

I didn't grab pics but there was an FDNY ambulance and two NYPD police cruisers on my street for the last couple days. Seeing as I'm in Toronto and NYC is 800 km south of me, it was different enough. Turns out they were filming a TV show in the neighbourhood.

• Like 3

Technically I think your second Italian is a Pole!

I had a 126 for a while.  Actually quite fun as you had to drive it flat out all the time to get anywhere.

• Like 1

I revisited Eindhoven's DAF museum yesterday, as I was a little bored with the grey weather and wanted to go and do something. Also, I found out that it was the final weekend of an exposition of some TATRA heavy duty trucks which I think are pretty cool. I was not disappointed. 

20230402083301-f73f59f0-me.jpg

20230402083301-8dea7a71-me.jpg

This is a real beauty. 

20230402083301-3063c853-me.jpg

20230402083301-287556dc-me.jpg

A Dakar truck as well. 

20230402083301-d19acddb-me.jpg

Now, some DAF trucks. There are 2 Dakar trucks on display as well. 

20230402083302-abba0770-me.jpg

20230402083302-2119d352-me.jpg

And of course a host of classics of which I'll show a few. 

20230402083302-7747d45c-me.jpg

20230402083302-56559372-me.jpg

20230402083302-d48a28ea-me.jpg

20230402083302-9f5c6bcd-me.jpg

A classic "7 striper". These were the first front steer trucks DAF made, starting in 1949.

20230402083303-192bed10-me.jpg

Fun fact. I didn't know this, I learned about it just recently. In the old days, truck manufacturers didn't build truck cabs, but instead delivered trucks as chassis with an engine and a front. Customers would pick these up at the factory and would drive them to some specialized cab making company which would then build a cab from wood and steel to the wishes of the customer. There's one like this on display at the museum. There was a very nice volunteer, an elderly gentlemen with whom I chatted for a while, he told me he did this a couple of times, with a wooden crate for a seat. 

20230402083303-fa8a961d-me.jpg

If you like old trucks, this museum is certainly worth a visit. 

• Like 14

An interesting couple of days, yesterday was a 1973 Chrysler Valiant coupe, possibly a restomod as the rego described it as a Blue Saloon, very shiny black now & the four light front which afaik was not standard on these, smart looker. Soon after spotting that, a 1974 Ford Falcon Station Wagon, in tidy but used condition, maybe even a one owner vehicle, then a 1959 Morris 1000, driven by a youngish couple with a back seat full of stuff, a nostalgic holiday perhaps. It was on original plates. Today was a Citroen DS something, the four headlamp one, looking very smart in maroon, they still stand out rather & a bit later a 1964 Cortina Mk 1, very much a base model with the painted grill & somewhat of a patina, someones for a fair while perhaps.

Steve.

• Like 2

There were lots of classics out and about, taking advantage of the good weather.  I wish I'd been able to get photos and I'm sure there were some more that I've forgotten, but the ones I remeber were; AC Cobra 289, Ferrari Dino 246GT, Porsche 356 Speedster and Alvis TD21 convertible.

• Like 4