Spot of the Day Part 6

bentwaters81tfw

Couple of modern spots last week, best was a rather nice dark blue N-plate VW Corrado VR6, which when I pulled up behind it turned out to be a Storm. The styling of the Corrado was divisive when they were new, but it has aged far better than a lot of its contemparies and now a proper Q car. (Unless painted yellow like the last VR6 I saw).

More mundane but not something you see often now, an L-prefix first gen Suzuki Vitara softop in black. 

And then by way of contrast, this on the A23 Saturday afternoon, registration comes back as a 1930 Riley, so I will take their word for it.

52397406268_d41fb649f1_b.jpg1930riley by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Thats 92 years old. I wonder if the Disco in front will still be around in 2112?

Matt

• Like 9

Spotted this Sunday, again near Wilmslow, a black Rolls-Royce Cullinan ... Thing!

Even uglier than the Bentayga, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Alan.

• Like 4

12 hours ago, Farmer matt said:

Couple of modern spots last week, best was a rather nice dark blue N-plate VW Corrado VR6, which when I pulled up behind it turned out to be a Storm. The styling of the Corrado was divisive when they were new, but it has aged far better than a lot of its contemparies and now a proper Q car. (Unless painted yellow like the last VR6 I saw).

More mundane but not something you see often now, an L-prefix first gen Suzuki Vitara softop in black. 

And then by way of contrast, this on the A23 Saturday afternoon, registration comes back as a 1930 Riley, so I will take their word for it.

52397406268_d41fb649f1_b.jpg1930riley by Matt Farmer, on Flickr

Thats 92 years old. I wonder if the Disco in front will still be around in 2112?

Matt

The Riley will still be going strong long after the Disco has flaked away ...

• Like 1

The Riley is a 9hp MkIV tourer.  Despite being only a 1.1, and 92 years old, even the single carb ones will cruise happily at 50mph.  More than that isn't recommended unless it has had a new crank, as it's a twin bearing design.  Nearly 20 years ago, I was navigator / co-driver in a two seater version for a VSCC LC&ES rally in central Wales, and we drove there from London.  Not a massive fan of the gearbox (didn't get to drive it enough to be able to deal smoothly with the lack of synchromesh when changing down on steep hills but otherwise a very pleasant machine to drive, and noticeably better brakes than the 1964 Morris Minor that I had as my first car.  The wheels are 19", so the drums are not small!  They are also extremely capable machines, and very well engineered.  For instance, that 1.1 4 cylinder engine is a twin cam hemi.

When I was a child, my father had a '37 Riley 12/4 Lynx Sprite, and that was very quick for a car of its age, and happily kept up with motorway traffic.  He currently has a wrecked '33 9hp Monaco (saloon version of the tourer above), but hasn't done anything with it in the nearly 25 years that he has owned it...  That may end up with a not too dissimilar body to this.

And yes, it will still be around for many years to come.  Pre war Rileys have a very strong following, which isn't fading unlike many old / vintage cars.

Edited by Paul H
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Alan R said:

Spotted this Sunday, again near Wilmslow, a black Rolls-Royce Cullinan ... Thing!

Even uglier than the Bentayga, in my opinion.

Cheers,

Alan.

I saw one of them on the A14 on Friday afternoon.  Fugly as sin!

Trevor

• Like 2

So I did my first ever flight and first ever overseas trip to Singapore last weekend for Singapore GP. Can't resist to do spotting.

IMG-51302.jpg

This Huracan RWD appeared out of nowhere as I'm hanging around with my friend for an after-hour drink. Of green tea and mineral water, that is. But this isn't even the maddest car that night...

IMG-52032.jpg

... because this Caterham Seven Superlight just blitzed its way unannounced. On Sunday, it's a dealer visit at Commonwealth, and this is what they have in store

IMG-5293.jpg

A Pagani Huayra Pacchetto Tempesta. A PAGANI HUAYRA. I wanted to see one since 2013 but this is my first ever time actually seeing one. It's... insane. I want to build Aoshima ones but I've heard nightmares about the fit and that kinda put me off from buying one. Also, there's an LFA but I only took a rather meh-looking photo of it. Shame, LFA was also one of my hero car.

IMG-5350.jpg

Looks like a tarted-up F12, but this is the F12 Berlinetta SG50 Edition, a one-off car built by Ferrari Tailor Made to celebrate Singapore's 50th anniversary. That wheel is not available in any other Ferrari.

IMG-5919.jpg

And obviously, the Formula 1 stuffs. Forget what you've heard in telly, these cars sounds insane. And the current F1 cars looked amazing. Just put Max's RB18 here as a representation.

• Like 9

With having a week off work I figured the nice weather meant it was a good excuse to go for a walk and get some fresh air. Turns out that there was a steam fair in the early stages of setting up, not much there yet but there was this (I'm afraid I know next to nothing about steam machinery so can't add any more detail):

52409463694_6527a9285a_b.jpg

Also a couple of Fordson tractors, the Dexta (first one, which I loved) is from c. 1960 while the plate on the dual-wheeled Major suggested 1964 which would make it one of the last ones (as would the blue & white colour scheme)

52409622265_11134a96f9_b.jpg

52409622000_2ed2e2a09d_b.jpg

• Like 13

'Tis a Sentinel steam wagon I think.

I don't know enough about them to give a year.

Lovely Fordsons too. Dextas aren't that common here, plenty of Fordson Majors though. The industrial version was very popular.

• Like 3

Literally round the corner from where I live. The 2 Renaults are in the same garden,their fence blew down,there’s a new fence now and they can rust in peace again! The American car is round a different corner  in the next road to me,and it needs quite a bit of road to be fair! I don’t recognise the badge and it’s covered up usually and I haven’t been able to read the badges.Chris.

spacer.pngspacer.png7spacer.pngThe picture of the Yankee car refuses to be downloaded the right way up so here’s a picture of Andy Middlehurst in the Lotus 25 at the Goodwood Revival last month instead………..Chris.

• Like 8

2 hours ago, Kitkent said:

7The picture of the Yankee car refuses to be downloaded the right way up so here’s a picture of Andy Middlehurst in the Lotus 25 at the Goodwood Revival last month instead………..Chris.

Post it anyway, one of us can probably work it out.

2 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

I thought it was the USS Enterprise.... !! :whistle: 🤣

Keith

I saw this car outside our local Hot Rods diner,it took up the whole length of the place on the pavement outside! Thanks to whoever turned my picture around too. Chris.

• Like 2