1/72 Airfix Hurricane Mark 1 - primed, not ready

I found the below photo back in February and it intrigued me enough to buy the Airfix 1/72 Hurricane to try and replicate it.

thumbnail_IMG_20221002_193911

I sometimes get bored with doing the same colour schemes all the time and liked the different look it gave the aircraft. I liked the idea of having the plane in the unfinished primer stage with just the under sides and top wings finished (although cannot tell from the photo if the roundels are in place, but I decided to add them to mine). Been off work for a few days this week due to covid so it was my little project to stop me getting too bored. It was different to finish a kit with no weathering (other than a panel like wash (not that there are many panel lines on this kit).  I couldnt figure out from the photo if the tail and access panels were painted silver or white.  I decided to go with white.

DSC_0903 DSC_0905 DSC_0906 DSC_0908 DSC_0910 DSC_0911 DSC_0913

DSC_0915

DSC_0912

• Like 47

21 hours ago, Pagey said:

I found the below photo back in February and it intrigued me enough to buy the Airfix 1/72 Hurricane to try and replicate it.

thumbnail_IMG_20221002_193911

I sometimes get bored with doing the same colour schemes all the time and liked the different look it gave the aircraft. I liked the idea of having the plane in the unfinished primer stage with just the under sides and top wings finished (although cannot tell from the photo if the roundels are in place, but I decided to add them to mine). Been off work for a few days this week due to covid so it was my little project to stop me getting too bored. It was different to finish a kit with no weathering (other than a panel like wash (not that there are many panel lines on this kit).  I couldnt figure out from the photo if the tail and access panels were painted silver or white.  I decided to go with white.

DSC_0903 DSC_0905 DSC_0906 DSC_0908 DSC_0910 DSC_0911 DSC_0913

DSC_0915

DSC_0912

Well done.

Alain

1 hour ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I norice the photo shows unusual exhaust stacks. I'm going to tag @Troy Smith to see what he knows about that.

Those exhaust are from a late model Spitfire, as there are no more of the older 3-pipe ones left.

Chris

• Like 1

What a great idea and extremely well executed too!

The fidelity of the photo suggests it was taken well-and-truly post-war; a recent warbird restoration (in progress) perhaps?

But, anyway, a brilliant way to do something different and I love it.

👏👏

15 hours ago, ModelingEdmontonian said:

I notice the photo shows unusual exhaust stacks. I'm going to tag @Troy Smith to see what he knows about that.

Your right.  Didnt notice that.  Looks more like a late war spitfire exhausts

Thanks All.

What a unique interpretation of a Hurricane in between paint jobs.  I congratulate you on your imagination to take on the task of replicating the photo and the hard work it took to mask off all of the panels and try to match all the different primer colors.  Which begs the question, why so many under coat colors?  Is there a reason for the different color primers?  That is what I do not understand.

On 10/4/2022 at 4:27 AM, kapam said:

What a great idea and extremely well executed too!

The fidelity of the photo suggests it was taken well-and-truly post-war; a recent warbird restoration (in progress) perhaps?

But, anyway, a brilliant way to do something different and I love it.

👏👏

I think it was one of the Battle of britain flights Hurricanes which has been recently repainted

18 hours ago, georgeusa said:

What a unique interpretation of a Hurricane in between paint jobs.  I congratulate you on your imagination to take on the task of replicating the photo and the hard work it took to mask off all of the panels and try to match all the different primer colors.  Which begs the question, why so many under coat colors?  Is there a reason for the different color primers?  That is what I do not understand.

The red is the linen dope I believe and the interior green is for the metal engine covers.  Couldn't work out if the tail and other panels were silver or white.  I just liked the idea of a different looking hurricane