Phantom FG1 XV590 001/R - Hasegawa 1/48

Hi all,

Here's the latest in my Fleet Air Arm jet collection, Hasegawa's aging 1/48 Phantom FG1 with plenty of modifications.

This build took six months and there were plenty of additions;

• Quickboost resin ejection seats, with the ejection handles made from 0.3mm wire
  • Alleycat seamless intakes
  • Master pitot tube and AoA indicator
  • Eduard Brassin Sidewinders and Sparrows
  • ResKit wheels
  • Xtradecal Phantom FG1 decals and stencils

The following improvements were made to the kit;

• Blemishes in the clear parts removed, polished and treated with Klear
  • CAD modelled and 3D printed fuel tanks (the kit ones weren't great)
  • Some minor detail added to the cockpit (gauges and wires)

This was my first attempt at completely airbrushing a I used vallejo acrylic primer and Hataka red line Extra Dark Sea Grey for the top, beneath, I started off using Hataka red line white, but soon switched to Tamiya acrylics. The red and white tail decal was the wrong size, so that is airburshed too, the omega symbol was carefully cut out from the decal sheet and applied. Weathering was done using Mig Panel Line Wash as well as oils for some staining underneath. Varnished with Winsor & Newton Galleria Satin acrylic. Molotow liquid chrome was used for the chromed oleos, and this gives a much more realistic finish than using paint - the metallic paint to the aft of the fuselage is Mig's Bare Metal acrylic collection - very chuffed with these.

I'm really pleased with this build, it was rather challenging and took quite a few months - I've learnt an awful lot about airbrushing and various weathering techniques - it really does look incredible in my display case with the rest of my Fleet Air Arm jets (Attacker, Sea Hawk, Sea Venom, Sea Vixen and Scimitar). I'm excited about having the Ark Royal Phantom and Buccaneer pairing complete in a few more months....

Hasegawa Phantom FG1

Hasegawa Phantom FG1

Hasegawa Phantom FG1

Hasegawa Phantom FG1

Hasegawa Phantom FG1

Hasegawa Phantom FG1

Thanks for looking, now on to my new Airfix Buccaneer :)

Cheers

Ben

• Like 57

You've made a pensioner look young again. Well done.

If ever there was a gapping gap for Airfix to fix this has to be it.

As for spraying white......... try Tamiya gloss white and flash a coat of Klear over it and leave it for a week .....you get a nice rock hard surface.

Cheers

Dick

1 hour ago, Chrisj2003 said:

Phabulous. I’m guessing most of the weathering is on the underside we can’t see?  :goodjob:

Chris

For some reason, I didn't think to take any photos of the underside.... I'll upload a couple detail photos and one of the underside.

• Like 1