Ju88A-6/U Anti-Shipping with FUG200 Hohentwiel 1/48

I got the idea for this project from Airdoc decals Ju88 Pt.4, a Ju 88 in "Mäander"-Camo with Hohentwiel radar and without bottom gondola. Very attractive, I thought.

The information you find in the net goes as this: Ju88 A-6 originally were Balloon Cutters. After BoB, the remaining aircraft were sent home for refitting for the anti-shipping role. The balloon-cutting system and the bottom gondola were removed and FUG200 and 217 were installed. The aircraft were renamed Ju88A-6/U. Other sources claim that the A6/U never existed and they were simply converted A4 or A5s. We will probably never know, but there are photos of PN+MT which is a Stammkenzeichen. So we do not even know for sure the unit.

Since there is litte more information available, I decided to follow the instructions from the Hasegawa kit for the same aircraft which they released in 1/72. I used the Dragon/Revell kit: The bottom gondola was not installed, night exhausts, FUG217 on upper wings and brake lines were scratch built and I used the Brengun FUG200 PE set. Hasegawa want the bomb pylons fitted, I was not sure about that either since there is no aiming system without the bottom gondola but I followed the instructions. Was it a bomber or a recce plane?

During the build I ruined the model because I could not get the squiggles right. So I removed all the upper paint and did it again. Unfortunately all the decals were destroyed in progress. The Airdoc sheet contains all the necessary letters, but the Werknummer was lost forever. So it is missing.

The second attempt was slightly better, I am not really pleased but I left it as it is now. In the cabinet it looks ok.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking,

Volker

• Like 50
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Electric Indigo said:

I wonder if the antennas were more nerve-wrecking than the camo application, but you succeeded on both!

They actually were! 🙂

• Haha 1

Great save, squiggly pattern looks convincing. Antenna looks terrific, you did a great model.  I am planning to start Ju-88R-2 in 1/72 with same spaghetti pattern on the front. 

• Like 1

I think your painting of this kit was great and you should be proud.  You are probably your own worst critic as I cannot make fault with the squiggly camo scheme that is very hard to pull off.  I have only attempted it one time and it did not come out near as well as yours is.  Good job!  Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

It looks great. Admirable work on this subject. The trickiest thing to achieve is correct scale affect of the camo pattern,  a great challenge I look forward to seeing another wellenmuster Ju88 if your encouraged by this effort. 👍

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

@Zigomar wrote me a message about the destroyed Werknummer decals and offered me to make masks for my model on his cutting plotter.

I sprayed the numbers today and the result is very nice. I am happy! The aircraft is now complete:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thank you very much again, Jean. A cutting plotter is a really useful thing to have.

Volker

• Like 1