F-84F 92nd FBS USAFE PJ Production 1/72eme

Hello Everybody!

Here is a kit that will please our fellow British modelers (I hope!) fan of the USAFE good ol' days: The Republic F-84F. The kit is a PJ production model, full resin, with some PE parts. Not an easy one, even if the shape and overall proportions are OK. Big caveat is the cockpit, very difficult to fit. So I elected to scratch it completely. Wheels are made of white metal but are too thin and were replaced. Other enhancements were landing gears details and air intake + exhaust. Thanks God documentation is plenty to correct the model.

Painting was made with different shades of Alclad II. Not so much weathering, as photos from that era show pretty neat aircrafts. I chose  a bird from the 92nd FBS/82 FBW based in Woodbrige-Bentwaters. because of the colorful markings. The little lightings are home made (not so easy!) as well as the squadron insignia. Microscale decal sheet 72-330 provided some they are but largely oversized, more for 1/48 than 1/72.

Here are the photos:

The real thing:

spacer.png

Mine:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and the little diorama: the Ford F2 pickup is from "F4 Models", all resin and very difficult to build (It takes me hours to have a correct result) and the MD-3 cart comes from "Videoaviation.com", very fine. For the grass, I haven't found the correct one for Bentwaters! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it, enjoy the photos and as usual, critics most welcome! 

• Like 50

Very nice job on that 'Boneheads' Streak. If I may, there are two areas that could be corrected. The speedbrake and interior should be the same shade of green as the gear wells, the outer face is stainless steel,  and the small black area on the spine at the base of the fin is clear - it's the anti collision strobe, and there are 2 bulbs in there. 

You don't often see a 92nd bird due to lack of decals.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

That's  very  nice and I  fully  approve of the  colour scheme. Nice photos too. I like the  F-84F. It's a  quirky bird. 

As is your user name 'Patrick from the  sands' ? Nice one.

• Thanks 1

That's absolutely brilliant! 

I hope mine eventually looks half as good as that. Got everything built & primed just needs some paint.

Very nice airfield diorama & the extras are excellent. I do wonder what's available US wise for airfield vehicles in 1/72 that they would have used late 50's early 60's. 

Martin 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Very nice job on that 'Boneheads' Streak. If I may, there are two areas that could be corrected. The speedbrake and interior should be the same shade of green as the gear wells, the outer face is stainless steel,  and the small black area on the spine at the base of the fin is clear - it's the anti collision strobe, and there are 2 bulbs in there. 

You don't often see a 92nd bird due to lack of decals.

Thank you for these constructive remarks, I didn't notices these mistakes after completing this built. Correction on the speed brakes is under way! 

The little black panel on the spine is a wrong interpretation of some photos, but in my poor documentation I didn't find any pictures of this particular area as a clear one with a/c strobes. If you have one. I will greatly appreciate it to correct my kit. 

Thank you again!

Patrick

25 minutes ago, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

The little black panel on the spine is a wrong interpretation of some photos, but in my poor documentation I didn't find any pictures of this particular area as a clear one with a/c strobes. If you have one. I will greatly appreciate it to correct my kit. 

Here you go

f-84f_fu-30_16_of_49

• Thanks 2

And another.

060828-F-1234S-030.JPG

It's clear plastic with a fibreglass tape surround held on by 14 screws.

I am currently restoring the real thing, the black section is fibreglass di-electric panel. Neither of these items have resisted 70 years of exposure very well.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

And another.

060828-F-1234S-030.JPG

I am currently restoring the real thing, the black section is fibreglass di-electric panel. Neither of these items have resisted 70 years of exposure very well.

Thank you much for your help, modification in progress! 

1 hour ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

And another.

060828-F-1234S-030.JPG

You must have been reading my mind, Frank. I've been looking for a good reference shot of a NMF 'streak to work out the metal variations. There weren't many!!! ;)

Martin

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The jet pipe surround is stainless steel, the wing root front fairing is also, and it's heavy!

I reckon the nose surround (around the guns) is also?

5 minutes ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

No it's heavy gauge aluminium. These things are built like the proverbial.

But polished? It looks like polished stainless open most photos, Frank

I've taken an orbital sander to it, it's Alu. Large chunks are sanded back to bare metal. When we have punters ask about it, I've rapped my knuckles against it and the thinner sheet further aft, it's defo not steel, although the gun troughs are.

That photo above shows a painted nose ring, Prob in sqn colours. (Though that looks a promo a/c and lacks a large parabrake fairing)

On 02/10/2022 at 03:12, PATRICK FROM THE SANDS said:

Hello Everybody!

Here is a kit that will please our fellow British modelers (I hope!) fan of the USAFE good ol' days: The Republic F-84F. The kit is a PJ production model, full resin, with some PE parts. Not an easy one, even if the shape and overall proportions are OK. Big caveat is the cockpit, very difficult to fit. So I elected to scratch it completely. Wheels are made of white metal but are too thin and were replaced. Other enhancements were landing gears details and air intake + exhaust. Thanks God documentation is plenty to correct the model.

Painting was made with different shades of Alclad II. Not so much weathering, as photos from that era show pretty neat aircrafts. I chose  a bird from the 92nd FBS/82 FBW based in Woodbrige-Bentwaters. because of the colorful markings. The little lightings are home made (not so easy!) as well as the squadron insignia. Microscale decal sheet 72-330 provided some they are but largely oversized, more for 1/48 than 1/72.

Here are the photos:

The real thing:

spacer.png

Mine:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

...and the little diorama: the Ford F2 pickup is from "F4 Models", all resin and very difficult to build (It takes me hours to have a correct result) and the MD-3 cart comes from "Videoaviation.com", very fine. For the grass, I haven't found the correct one for Bentwaters! 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's it, enjoy the photos and as usual, critics most welcome! 

Beautiful model, Congratulations !!

I always think what was going on that period for the military allowing such colorfull war aircraft ?

Perfect !

SouthViper from Brazil 

• Thanks 1