XFJ-2B, 1/48 navalised Sabre Jet

A navalised F-86E, this one, although there was no carrier gear on the XFJ-2B just the 4x 20mm cannon US navy armament fit.

The decals for this test airframe were on the FJ-2 Caracal sheet so I decided to have a crack at it. 

XFJ-2B

Narrow chord slatted wings have Revell Sabre Dog leading edges only this time, as the Revell wings are too sharply swept back.  
Seems like Revell had the length of the slats correct though. The join line is straight, and aft of the leading edge hinge to make mating easier. 

XFJ-2B

Looks a bit rough at the moment but I’ve had to move the leading edge fairings back by 3mm to backdate the 6-3 wing mod. All the measurements worked out quite nicely though, even if I say so myself. 

XFJ-2B

The gun muzzle panel was a spare nicked from a Kitty Hawk Fury kit and spliced in. I’m so gutted they went to the wall, what an eclectic range of kits they produced.
 There was a lovely resin cockpit in the Hasegawa Sabre box (manufacturer unknown) courtesy of the eBay seller too, life is good innit?

Ttfn 

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Some cockpit progress, will post pics later but in the meantime can I point you all to an astonishing resource I’ve stumbled on for this build? Forgive me if it’s old news.

The ACI (AeroCapture Images)Cockpit 360 app for your phone.

360*, zoomable cockpit captures, most major (and some more obscure)US types. They’re museum examples, some in their original state, some ‘restored’, but many hours of fun to be had I reckon. Enjoy, 

Ttfn

Matt 

Just waiting for a yahu instrument panel at the moment, then I’ll button it all up. Hard to compete with them using individual dial decals, nice though they are. They always seem just a gnat’s too big for the bezels I’ve found. 

XFJ-2B

more soon, thanks for looking! 
Matt 

• Like 5

Just putting it out there but is anyone else uk-based finding it more difficult to get hold of the excellent modelling accessories produced by our neighbours in Czech Republic, Poland, Ukraine etc? I’m sure they used to be more readily available. Shame really, feels like our hobby is somewhat impoverished. Will have to go back to scratchbuilding🙂

Did anyone have a look at that ACI 3d cockpit app? If so what did you think? 
cheers,

Matt