2023 Bunfight poll

2023 Bunfight!  

216 members have voted

1. 1. Vote for your favourite groupbuilds here. Please make six choices only.

• Above the Karman Line
    • TLC - Transports, Loaders and Carriers
    • The Entropy Groupbuild
    • The Salty Sea Dog GB
    • I feel deserted!
    • Marcel Bloch / Dassault Aviation
    • Airco and De Havilland
    • Sopwith, descendants and acquisitions (Hawker, Gloster, Siddeley)
    • Hawker Tornado to Sea Fury
    • Southern Europe
    • Not my comfort zone
    • Protecting Neutrality
    • Meteorology - Names from the weather
    • Reconnaissance and Scouting
    • Uhrwerk Springen Haufen - STOL and VTOL
    • Emergency!
    • A Pillar of Fire - WW2 jets and rockets
    • Classic wings, Cars, Ships, and More
    • Here comes the Fleet! (Air Arm)
    • Aces High
    • Small scales
    • Go large or go home
    • Planes, Names and Dames

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 14/11/22 at 23:59

I think for next year @trickyrich should learn python or pearl or Ruby on Rails or whatever  and have his Excel graphs update in real time :)  I’d probably be game if you felt brave enough to let me tinker with the inner workings of the forum….

Hmm I wonder if there might be a sort option lurking in the voting script ?

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I think for next year @trickyrich should learn python or pearl or Ruby on Rails or whatever  and have his Excel graphs update in real time :)  I’d probably be game if you felt brave enough to let me tinker with the inner workings of the forum….

Pretty sure it'd be .php if hosted by Britmodeller, or somebody could collect the data from this page.  FWIW, Rust is the flavour of the moment language.

56 minutes ago, Marklo said:

I doubt the voting script is that sophisticated.

Sorry, real world: I was once given a bottle of champagne on an election night, for developing some software for collecting and re-distributing election result data.

12 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Okay, I have resubmitted by votes - which I had unknowgly erased!😅

Aiyeee! I've had the suspicion that there are some troublemakers randomly shifting votes around every hour or so for the comedy value, but new theory is that maybe people are just inadvertently dropping votes when making changes!🤣

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, Thom216 said:

Okay, I have resubmitted by votes - which I had unknowgly erased!😅

Thom have you been doing this every year until now?

Well this year now all your votes can finally count! 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Thom have you been doing this every year until now?

Well this year now all your votes can finally count! 👍

Actually, this is just my second year voting in the GBs.😉 And if my snafu is true to form from least year, then I only voted for one GB last year!😵

I am now leaving it alone!😜

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Thom216 said:

Actually, this is just my second year voting in the GBs.😉 And if my snafu is true to form from least year, then I only voted for one GB last year!😵

I am now leaving it alone!😜

Well that's lucky. 👍

I'm sure you've not been the only one unaware of the wipe votes to revote system. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 81-er said:

I'm now thinking I should have gone for another choice of t-shirt for Telford, I've got one with a picture of Kenneth Williams as Caeser, complete with that quote on it.

James

How strange the  way things  happen. I'm just thinking I am showing my age but.... 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Marklo said:

Oddly enough, I'm reading a book on data management at the moment.  I think that the data collection would involve some sort of web scraping routine which wouldn't require any access to the workings of the forum.  Having the chart constantly update might be a bit of a challenge though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Oddly enough, I'm reading a book on data management at the moment.  I think that the data collection would involve some sort of web scraping routine which wouldn't require any access to the workings of the forum.  Having the chart constantly update might be a bit of a challenge though. 

I like having Rich's old charts sewn into the thread for the picture they give of voting totals over time.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Maybe the listing order could be up to date according to the results, highest voted on top etc. But, otoh, my computer skills end without "s" so I better :shutup:

41 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

55 minutes later we are in ninth place again. Safe as houses - houses of cards!

It’s not over till the fat lady sings, which btw is a reference to a steam governor not a large woman.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Enzo the Magnificent said:

Having the chart constantly update might be a bit of a challenge though. 

I’d have thought you’d just need to tag a sort routine on to the end of the php voting script so that when a vote is cast the sort order is refreshed.

I’m also going to go out on a limb and guess that the categories are held in something like a MySQL database table which might be able to be set to sort by vote number by itself.

Edited by Marklo

1 minute ago, Marklo said:

I’d have thought you’d just need to tag a sort routine on to the end of the php voting script so that when a vote is cast the sort order is refreshed.

That would work if the forum had a native chart function.   I'm not aware if there is one.  Rich's charts are created in Excel and uploaded as a graphic file.  That might require some sort of automation routine in the web browser used to edit the site.   I know that MS Office provides exactly that sort of automation as I use VBA every day.  VBA automation may well extend to MS Edge, but I use Firefox as a browser, which means I have to think in Russian...   :D 

• Haha 2