AMT '65 lowrider Grand Prix

Good use of a Cruisin' USA kit 😬  I have the '65 Riviera from that series, but it's still unbuilt - I wish they had included the stock bumpers and grilles.  I should get my Grand Prix finished, it was almost there.

I think that first grille you were looking at is from a '63 Galaxie.

• Thanks 1

Here's another small update to keep the momentum going. I've had a few hours over yesterday and today.

N279HG8.jpg

I built up an engine using the kit block/gearbox and bits box parts. Note the hole for the metal axle. :sad:

Because of that, this is about as detailed as the engine will get. 

1cmRaIq.jpg

Those triangles at the rear got chain drilled and filed out. Today I made up some dummy shockers to try & hide the axle a bit.

It's moulded as part of the floorpan. Goes to show how old this kit is though.

ZLFDBHj.jpg

And at the rear...I couldn't find a bumper that fitted well, so went with this set up. Nerf Bars. 

Actually quarter bumpers from another Custom car kit. All just dry assembled at the moment.

Pn0SpAB.jpg

Household copper wire is bent, two pieces of tube with 45 degree cuts fitted over it and superglued up.

Holes through the lightbar and hey, We got custom! Well it's different. I had to put them out near the ends so the trunk would open.

Not that it does, but I'm sure you know what I mean. 

Back to work tomorrow, so that's it until next weekend I should think. Please let me know if you like or hate the above. Ta, Pete

• Like 10

13 minutes ago, Hamden said:

are you planning to put the rear light cluster in the nerf bars?

The Nerf bars are mounted in a Thunderbird light cluster. It just doesn't show that well on these pictures. Here's one I took earlier.

EIEWc3Z.jpg

• Like 5

On 31/10/2022 at 19:11, Pete in Lincs said:

The Nerf bars are mounted in a Thunderbird light cluster.

Steely Dan? Or was that from a Dave Edmunds number?

I do like that last photo Pete - it stresses the sheer width of that thing: it must have been like driving around in an actual living room!

• Like 1

On 02/11/2022 at 06:54, Pete in Lincs said:

Thunderbird light cluster was by the Cars. Who's gonna drive you home?

Weird. I saw this post just as the song 'Drive' started on my computer (I listen to a lot of Cars' music). What are the chances? (Well since it happened, the chances are of course 100 percent).

Best Regards,

Jason

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Learstang said:

Weird. I saw this post just as the song 'Drive' started on my computer (I listen to a lot of Cars' music). What are the chances? (Well since it happened, the chances are of course 100 percent).

😁

It's like when I look at modelling tools on the web and then some arrive in the post a week later; there's just no rational way of explaining such improbable coincidences.

• Haha 6

Let's do yet another update. On a Sunday too! Starting with a bit of DIY.

DU7ZdR2.jpg

I needed a way to suspend the shell for painting. An L shaped offcut of wood. Another bit screwed to the top & thin foam packing stapled to the top.

NfQFiSP.jpg

And here it is in use. A coat of primer has shown up only a couple of small places that need a touch more filler. 

I broke out the paintbrushes and I've done some detail painting on the chassis plate since I took the above picture.

7U8Y0ca.jpg

And the interior and dashboard. The front seats are from the spares box. The supplied ones didn't fit the style I'm after.

I've painted some of that lovely plastic wood onto the dash.

And that is your lot for another week. It suddenly got cold this afternoon and the rain started (again) so I'm inside by the fire now!

Have a good week and thanks for looking. Pete

• Like 11

It's time for a weekend update once again. It may not look like I've done much, but some of it was tricky. (cold fingers!)

SAn0lNh.jpg

The interior is altogether now. I had to put a bend in the steering wheel column or it touched the seat. Tut!

As this is a restomod car I thought the centre console needed a cup holder. (Bluetooth in the glovebox too. Honest).

Qi9uWpc.jpg

Detail painting done on the chassis. Hopefully the exhausts look like they are separate items. Meng nut/bolts on the bottom of the shockers.

hkzRZx2.jpg

Sad to announce that the nerf bars had to go. After all that mucking about I decided they weren't right.

Besides, I found I had this bumper, which fitted with a 'little' work and new mountings. 

It took some filing which removed the chrome. Luckily I have a Molotow chrome pen inbound from the bay.

With the bumper in position I've had to drill holes in the rear valance for the exhausts to poke through.

pnWP6FT.jpg

Hmmm, this was supposed to show the bumper in position. I seem to have almost missed the model. Doh!

Though it does show that the bumper does curve around the corner so it's not all bad.

I need to get the shell painted next. Airbrush or rattlecan? We'll see. In the meantime, thanks for looking. Have a good week. Pete

• Like 11

Hi Pete,

Hmm - rattle can, air brush - or leave it primer, matte black?  with some glossy black rims, small chrome hubcaps and raised white letters on the tires? - or not!😄

The wrap around bumper looks the part, and yes, the paint on the exhaust did the trick, as the pipes no longer look molded in place!

Cheers

Nick 

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Stickframe said:

or leave it primer, matte black? 

I'm not keen on matt black on something like this. Maybe a rat rod though. I'm thinking light blue. But maybe a faded, scratched finish.

As if the owner is saving up for the paint job. I'll have to see what rattle cans are available first. It may end up unscratched gloss black!

Looking good so far!  The exhaust systems definitely look like separate items, well done there, and I like the rear bumper fitment too.  The cup holder's a great touch - if you miniaturise a to-go coffee cup PLEASE make it a decent one - Caffe Nero or Lavazza perhaps?  None of your Starbucks or Costa please, this is a quality model!  :please:

• Haha 2

I fell in love with the Gulf colours when I saw Le Man's at the cinema all those years ago. 

I'm afraid this one will have to go into hiatus for a bit, until I get some paint and good enough weather to use it.

I hate to stop a build halfway through, but needs must. 

In the meantime, To scratch my muscle car itch, I've started another one. A 1970 Chevy Impala. Follow the link. Cheers, Pete

Edited by Pete in Lincs
Update
  • Like 1

Don't know how I missed the start Pete (but I'm always late, just ask @TheBaron!) but I'm now all caught up. Just in time for everything to stop!

Still, cracking work so far, really interesting build, I shall look forward to the restart! :)

On 14/11/2022 at 09:09, Pete in Lincs said:

Follow the link

Off to do just that!

Keith

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1