Mini AT-AT on a mini Diorama

Long, long ago, in a Galaxy far, far away, Airfix produced a Battle of Hoth playset.

3 AT-AT's (One damaged) and various figures with a base mat.

Fast forward to a couple of months ago, and I got the damaged one from the bay for about seven quid.

Moulded with battle damage to the body and damaged legs, it could have been a lost cause. But no!

I got some baseplates with Lucasfilm moulded underneath, and used not quite Lego, card and various bits to build a section of an almost forgotten Empire outpost.

The AT-AT was repaired with card and filler. I've added non standard parts so it's not quite as per the films.

I was inspired by a series of posts by @Gekko_1 to use a custom paint job. I've seen huge warehouses being built which are blue at

ground level and which fade as they go up to almost merge with the sky. So I did a version of that.  The scale is about 1/150th

DOUo9Zv.jpg

If this were wading slowly offshore (as they do in one film) it might merge with the sky. (Maybe)

BxXCGIA.jpg

I added various parts including a searchlight under the jaw. The guns are Guitar wire and tube.

The original model doesn't have the prominent 'toes' so I added them from card. 

IoXR1Tl.jpg

Just to prove that I painted the other side! That oval bit at the back is an addition too.

The original model was a not too accurate snap kit.

QPBUdFT.jpg

Here's the base. Power station on the right, Comms base on the left. The yellow comms tower was a Kibri crane jib.

wUQ0lqo.jpg

Drone shot. Spot the greebly! 

There is a build thread here

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235113899-at-at-in-miniature/

It's been a fun build with a unique result. And all for around fifteen quid. Modelling as I like it!

Please feel free to comment, or send chocolate biscuits to the usual address. Thanks for looking, Pete

P.S. I'm taking a Sci Fi break for the next one (or two). Hop over to the Muscle Car section for more...

• Like 22

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Modelling as I like it!

A good argument for starting (and finishing) any model?

5 minutes ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Please feel free to comment, or send chocolate biscuits to the usual address.

Chocolate Digestives OK for you?

• Thanks 1

Hot(h)!

Great job. Once again you proved that you can achieve a very good effect for a reasonable budget, which is close to my vision of modeling.

However, it seems to me that the compression of photos is a bit too high, so they lose some details.

20 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

That oval bit at the back is an addition too.

Hmmm ... I wonder what is the name of this part of the body in English, because from what I remember, none of the film tough guys says to their opponents "I'm going to kick you that oval bit at the back"... 🤔

Cheers

W.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Nice!  I really like what you've done with that tiny beast.  If I ever do an AT-AT, I think the temptation to do some B-17-esque pin-up nose art on those big flat sides would be too much to handle.  Imperial Pin-up girl decals shouldn't be too hard to make...

• Thanks 1