So I happened to be reading a book on wwi German aircraft last night and came accords the first Fokker DR1 prototype V4, remembering that I had two Dr1s in the stash (1/72 & 1/48) I decided I’d convert the 1/72 one to V4.

69005405-0-F92-4-F33-B217-E71729-DFFEA0.

The kit (s) were gifted to me by a fellow Britmodeller who had to give up the hobby owing to failing eyesight.

07834-B74-0-B03-4138-8-E91-8-AD32153-F66

There’s no significance in the red and grey, when I built the previous DR1 I couldn’t find the stories for the kit so I did a mix and match build.

3133-B1-FB-415-A-4-FE8-96-C6-C4-F4-A3-EDV4 had equal span mid and lower wings so a little surgery needed.

80-CC4792-EA61-4-B54-89-D1-D1764-F7-FBFCIt also had a curved ( very Albatross) tail, so I’ve scratched one from sheet styrene.

8-AFEC7-D7-96-AA-4-F8-A-BE96-D271-DE4154A bit of assembly. Assuming I can find all the parts this will be almost a blitzbuild. Still missing a sprue mind…

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 9

Currently working on the strutless V3 myself as it happens 😁 

Mine's based on the Eduard one that I nabbed the wing ties from for an earlier Dr1 (Best not to ask why I needed them)

Irritatingly since I thought it would be a quick build I've had to modify every part in some way apart from the rudder (although I did add an etched control horn to that)

Here's a sneak peek of the paint going on the top wing (Trying to get the transparent covering effect)

Paul 

iGXHZSckE0YOWX8ovG8IVyfYM1eu4f1pPqp5sPQn

• Like 4

E924-CA52-8-A37-4395-A8-E0-9-EB861-BA138I’m being pedantic I know but this is Fokker V3(which I might try and build for the GB if time allows). Fokker just numbered each prototype with the next available number regardless of type. So the DR1 prototypes were V4 and V5 I think V6 and V7 were the DVI and DVII respectively.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 3

50-FCD0-FA-35-A0-4-AC9-9513-7-C64-B5-FC7
Upper wing fitted V4 had unbalanced ailerons so some cutting was involved.

A6938662-BE42-4629-9563-D27-C0813634-B.jFound the missing sprue but couldn’t find the turtledeck so some thin styrene was cut and fitted. I replaced the cabane struts with brass rod.

Now only missing the cowling. But overall ready for paint, which will be CDL and either black or grey on the struts NMF on the cowling ( when it surfaces)

• Like 8

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

E924-CA52-8-A37-4395-A8-E0-9-EB861-BA138I’m being pedantic I know but this is Fokker V3(which I might try and build for the GB if time allows). Fokker just numbered each prototype with the next available number regardless of type. So the DR1 prototypes were V4 and V5 I think V6 and V7 were the DVI and DVII respectively.

There's a good deal of confusion about prototypes for obvious reasons and certainly I wouldn't wish to dispute that the rather odd looking aircraft was also a V3🙂

The prefix V seemed to be common for prototypes, but there were a number of Triplane prototypes (including V1, V2, V3 and V4) The first that would be easily recognised as a typical 'tripe' as we know it was the V3 which was a lightened and simplified version of the original V1 with it's streamlining abandoned and a lighter slab sided fabric covered fuselage used instead. The shorter span wings also didn't use wing ties which were added later on the V4 when the span was increased. Incidentally the original wing section was was reshaped by eye (!) apparently by Platz

The characteristic box spar arrangement came about as a result of his wish to mount the wing in front of the cockpit which meant the two wing spars were both close together towards the front of the wing. Trials showed a lack of torsional stiffness so the gap between the spars was bridged above and below with plywood strips glued and bradded over the top and bottom

Here's a picture of the design I'm building, similar, but different.  😁

(I'll post other details on a separate thread rather than further hijack your own and I hope you don't mind the clarification I certainly don't intend any offence by it)

Cheers

Paul

gM_cAvDlz8LGHM8sLZFeA6TavEN-GNBFXjEBIKwn

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaddyO said:

I certainly don't intend any offence by it

No worries. I think different sources have different information.

952-CC8-DC-81-CD-478-D-ABDA-BC0-EE8-F81-I’m reading this at the moment and it has V1 to V3 as the cantilever wing development aircraft V4 to V7 are triplanes ( including a very interesting Mercedes’ powered prototype) and so on.

But regardless of nomenclature I think we’re building the same prototype :) 

• Like 2

D7-B36903-1886-4-EC0-9566-C7-CAC51-F269-A coat of dark yellow first. Then a mix of nato black and dark yellow on the wing and tail undersides. There is a very obvious shadow effect on the wings and tail so I’ll mask off the ribs and spars and spray the whole thing with buff or possibly deck tan and hope they a more pronounced shadow on the lower surfaces and a more subtle one on the upper surfaces. Going to be a fun masking job :( 

• Like 7

Another one nearly finished! Very interesting project though - just wish I had the time to build the Dornier V1 for this GB but will run out of time.

PS V stood for Versuchs which means experiment or attempt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, pheonix said:

PS V stood for Versuchs which means experiment or attempt.

🙂 True but whilst the V designation often used for experimental aircraft is Versuchsflugzeuge, in the case of Fokker aircraft the V actually meant Verspannungslos or without external bracing.

Alex Imrie (A gentleman who knows a good deal more about these things than me) stated in Windsock International Vol 17 No 4 that "Fokker records state 'with the appearance of the V1, machines were given a different designation to that previously used/. . . /this difference was the use of the cantilever wing system'.

Thus the V numbers are company designations for prototype and when a design was accepted for production the military classification was applied so the V5 was actually the DR1 when produced under contract, the V9 was the Fokker DVI and the V21 was the Fokker DVII"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DaddyO said:

in the case of Fokker aircraft the V actually meant Verspannungslos or without external bracing.

That would make a lot of sense as V1 to V4 we’re all unbraced cantilever designs. TBH I think Fokkers  V numbering system was all over the place as if you look at later designations some numbers are missed and some numbers had more than one aircraft.

like the true colour of a MK IV heavy tank the answer is lost in the mists of time :)  

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

7-B9-F7-A46-9573-473-C-8405-D0-D60-A5114Not forgotten, just took me a long while to get around to painting it :). I’ve managed to get a subtle shadow effect by painting the whole thing in a darker shade of straw lighter on the upper surfaces, then carefully brush painting a lighter colour leaving lines for the ribs and spars then finally airbrushing a very fine coat of Tamiya dark yellow toned down with white. Pleased with the effect ( relieved that it worked :) )

All I have to do now is a little detail painting and then find the wheels, cowling and prop….

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 4