Tupolev Tu-22KD 'Blinder-B' [Trumpeter, 1/72]

It did not turn out as I had hoped, but it's got other problems I elected not to fix having built the Modelsvit Tu-22 just before this one. I realised after taking the photos that the Kh-22 stand-off missile was drooping slightly as I only had it held in place with Blu-Tac, although it is now glued correctly in position.

file.php?id=154074

The thing I can't understand about Trumpeter is why they didn't compare their 3D digital model with the extant Modelsvit kit before producing their moulds. Had they done so, it would have prompted them to question why their digital Tu-22 had some significant differences from Modelsvit's kit (e.g. their thin fuselage spine and tall cockpit canopy or lack of ailerons), and have led to a re-check of plans or photos. Had they done so, along with matching numerous other minor details the Modelsvit kit correctly possesses, Trumpeter's Tu-22 would be the superior kit due to its much better parts fit.

file.php?id=154085

file.php?id=154073

file.php?id=154075

file.php?id=154076

file.php?id=154077

file.php?dt=display&id=154078

file.php?dt=display&id=154080

file.php?dt=display&id=154081

Finished 10 days ago, my Modelsvit Tu-22B 'Blinder-A' was converted from the Modelsvit Tu-22KD 'Blinder-B'. As mentioned already, the Kh-22 missile is drooping a lot in these photos (since fixed):

file.php?dt=display&id=154083

file.php?dt=display&id=154084

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
Adjust spacing.
  • Like 35

24 minutes ago, dimaADA said:

Can you show a photo of the prototype? I just don't remember this plane flying under Ukrainian identification marks.

I don't have many photos, but both Modelsvit and Trumpeter kits include Ukrainian markings options, and Modelsvit is a Ukrainian kit manufacturer, so they should know. Also, I have references including Aerofax: Tu-22 Blinder & Tu-22M Backfire, and Airtime Publishing: Tupolev Bombers (Tu-16, Tu-22, Tu-22M ,Tu-95/142 , & Tu-160) that specifically mention Ukrainian Blinders, as do many online sources. Here's one example taken at Ozerne air base, Ukraine (linked from Jetphotos.com):

spacer.png

and this one at the Poltava long range aviation museum, Ukraine (linked from Jetphotos.com):

spacer.png

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The truth is that this plane has never been in combat units of the Ukrainian Air Force. Your photographs show museum aircraft, which are in this quality from the USSR.

The Ukrainian Air Force had Tu-22M and its modifications. But this is a completely different aircraft.

1 hour ago, dimaADA said:

The truth is that this plane has never been in combat units of the Ukrainian Air Force. Your photographs show museum aircraft, which are in this quality from the USSR.

The Ukrainian Air Force had Tu-22M and its modifications. But this is a completely different aircraft.

I am aware the Blinder and Backfire are totally different aircraft types. As I said in my first reply to you, I was going by the information contained in these references which specifically mention the Tu-22K Blinder in service with the Ukrainian Air Force:

file.php?id=154115

From above on page 47 (after "Twilight") and mention Ukrainian service from 1997:

file.php?id=154113

and this one:

file.php?id=154114

That says on page 103 and mentions the number aircraft and Ukrainian units the Blinder served with from 1995 onwards...

file.php?id=154116

But you are claiming these books and their authors are wrong, so what are your credentials to discredit them, please?

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
Clarity
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, dimaADA said:

Probably I was wrong. For me, the news is that these aircraft were operated by our Air Force. Moreover, I assumed that they were removed from service long before the collapse of the USSR. Wrong.

No worries. I wish I could have found photos of them in Ukrainian regiment service on-line, but I had no luck. It was easier to find Libyan and Iraqi Tu-22s (and there's not many of them to find), and, of course, there are plenty of USSR examples to be found. My next one will be in USSR service.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Very nice!!

🇺🇦

The green one is im 1/144?

I think it came out after  Trumpeter's version, no?

Thanks,  and no it's not 1/144, it's my conversion of the 1/72 Modelsvit Tu-22K kit I built 11 days ago. Please see:

Edited by Kiwikitbasher
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwikitbasher said:

Thanks,  and no it's not 1/144, it's my conversion of the 1/72 Modelsvit Tu-22K kit I built 11 days ago

Thanks, my bad..   the 144 one is from Micromir.... :D

I am not so much into 1/72

• Thanks 1

That looks impressive Mark. I've long pondered one of these, not so easy now I've retired & the chancellor of my exchequer keeps a close eye on the coffers. :( I can remember seeing these in my first Observers Book of Aircraft, 1963 from memory, they looked like something out of a Dan dare comic strip to my eye. After seeing this & your other one, I may have to be very nice to the chancellor for a bit. ;) :D

Steve.

• Thanks 1

Mark……..in my experience with Trumpeter kits, I too have come away disappointed and frustrated during the build process.  You did great making this Blinder.  It looks very nice and I like it. :like:

Mike

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, stevehnz said:

That looks impressive Mark. I've long pondered one of these, not so easy now I've retired & the chancellor of my exchequer keeps a close eye on the coffers. :( I can remember seeing these in my first Observers Book of Aircraft, 1963 from memory, they looked like something out of a Dan dare comic strip to my eye. After seeing this & your other one, I may have to be very nice to the chancellor for a bit. ;) :D

Steve.

Hi Steve,

I first became aware of it from the same source in about 1967. It appealed to me immediately along with the Victor and B-58. To me its very Thunderbirds, especially the way the crew are elevated into the cockpit by their seats. Modelsvit kit is the way to go if you want an accurate model.

• Like 2

Looks good! As others have said, it's got a very sci-fi comicbook look to it, particularly the Dan Dare engine pods either side of the fin and those extravagantly swept and tapered wings..... and the crew seats which double as access elevators of course! Certainly an aircraft that left an immediate impression on me the first time I saw a picture of one.

So much so that I have the Trumpeter one in my stash, and indeed it is next in my build queue. Glad to hear it goes together OK. I don't mind the inaccuracies because I'm not familiar enough with the aircraft to notice them. I hope! I was also planning to do it wheels up to show that sleek shape in flight.... but I've also heard somewhere that the landing gear is fussy on this kit as well. Or it's just incorrect. I forget, but I am sure I read something about the landing gear when I was researching the kit.

Were there any major challenges you came across in the build that you'd advise I look out for?

5 hours ago, kiseca said:

Looks good! As others have said, it's got a very sci-fi comicbook look to it, particularly the Dan Dare engine pods either side of the fin and those extravagantly swept and tapered wings..... and the crew seats which double as access elevators of course! Certainly an aircraft that left an immediate impression on me the first time I saw a picture of one.

So much so that I have the Trumpeter one in my stash, and indeed it is next in my build queue. Glad to hear it goes together OK. I don't mind the inaccuracies because I'm not familiar enough with the aircraft to notice them. I hope! I was also planning to do it wheels up to show that sleek shape in flight.... but I've also heard somewhere that the landing gear is fussy on this kit as well. Or it's just incorrect. I forget, but I am sure I read something about the landing gear when I was researching the kit.

Were there any major challenges you came across in the build that you'd advise I look out for?

The main fit issues were the navigator/bomb aimer's side windows required filler as they seems a bit undersized for their openings, and the engine pod assembly is difficult to get it sitting perfectly. The spine insert between the rear of the crew compartment canopy and main spine also need blending in. With care, the undercarriage doors can be fitted closed with reasonable results, although it's s pity separate one-piece closed doors aren't provided for a retracted undercarriage option the way recent Airfix kits do. If you are fitting the missile you need to cut open the bomb-bay doors.  Here are photos of how made my socket to take the clear acrylic tube I used for my stand:

file.php?dt=display&id=154339

file.php?dt=display&id=154340

file.php?dt=display&id=154337

file.php?dt=display&id=154343

• Thanks 1